Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    It is hilarious that that one of the advertised improvements is 4 wheel disc brakes…….in 2023. But such is Toyota. Are there any other new “light duty” vehicles sold in the US with drum brakes?
    There are a few, but they are usually cars pushing efficiency like Mitsubishi Mirage or the electric VW ID.4

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    or if Toyota has a planned competitor for the Maverick in the works.
    Rumor is Toyota has a Rav4-based pickup in the pipeline, possibly reviving the old "Stout" nameplate.

Last edited by 0ddl0t; 05-22-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Got rear ended today. I was almost stopped, approaching a red light, when I was struck by an suv right on my receiver hitch. Right of bumper got pushed about 1” maybe. I got taken by EMS to the ER to get checked out. Just muscle / neck ache so far. The Officer confirmed She’s at fault, so we will file w our insurance for the repair.

I’m not a truck guy, so do any of y’all know if this type of damage involves the frame? Or is the receiver separate? I’ll post back once we get to a shop for an estimate, but I was curious. I’m worried about being able to insert a hitch into the receiver, and / or damage to the sub frame in that area.

Attachment 104914
    So it appears insurance is going to cover, but I have the option to get it repaired or DIY, from what I understand.

Based on examining the bumper from underneath it looks like the impact was absorbed by the bumper bracket assembly. Looking at the parts diagram online, I think this is part no. 6840447AC "Bracket-Step Bumper".

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...ear,i2561568,2

This is part 2 in the diagram.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-02 07-05-37.png
Views: 476
Size:  53.2 KB

Couple questions on this?

If I order this part, does it come with both brackets, i.e. left and right? Or I order one and it applies to left, or right?

If I do it, I'd need to pull the bumper, then swap the bracket in. Pulling the bumper looks straight forward. I have one wiring harness on the driver's side to unplug. Then 4x16mm nuts on the interior side, then 2x15mm bolts under the license plate. At this point from what I understand, the bumper should pull straight off along with the damaged brackets.

My problem at this point, is does anyone know how the bumper brackets get attached to the bumper? I'd need to simply swamp them out, but I can't exactly see where the access is to undo the fasteners (might be 11mm but not sure - there are a few, from what I can see looking under the truck).

Any tips or tricks appreciated.

If I do get this figured out myself, I'll post back with some pictures in case it helps someone else.

It isn't the same generation, but that looks pretty similar to my 2004 Dodge Ram bumper setup. A gal who had no insurance rear ended me and did the same damage. I found a local guy that was selling a brand new takeoff from his truck. Picked it up, swapped it with the new one, probably took 30 minutes.

I took the bumper off at the frame, swapped brackets as needed, and reinstalled on the frame.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

We have had a Ram TRX for a year. Really like the power and noises it makes. Really don’t like 10 mpg and the overall package — think the Raptor 150 is better for us. Dealer offered us what we paid new, and due to some luck, we replaced it with a Ford Lightning. The Lightning is crazy fast.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Got rear ended today. I was almost stopped, approaching a red light, when I was struck by an suv right on my receiver hitch. Right of bumper got pushed about 1” maybe. I got taken by EMS to the ER to get checked out. Just muscle / neck ache so far. The Officer confirmed She’s at fault, so we will file w our insurance for the repair.

I’m not a truck guy, so do any of y’all know if this type of damage involves the frame? Or is the receiver separate? I’ll post back once we get to a shop for an estimate, but I was curious. I’m worried about being able to insert a hitch into the receiver, and / or damage to the sub frame in that area.

Attachment 104914
    morning sir probably no frame damage just see if receiver hitch is still square to body as far as bumper damage modern bumpers are cheap crap I think the plastic covers are stonger then the metal also the receiver is tied to frame not bumper in most cases
    Last edited by dave72; 06-03-2023 at 10:04 AM. Reason: no coffe

Quote Originally Posted by dave72 View Post
    morning sir probably no frame damage just see if receiver hitch is still square to body as far as bumper damage modern bumpers are cheap crap I think the plastic covers are stonger then the metal also the receiver is tied to frame not bumper in most cases
    Thanks for the input.

I ordered a 6840447AC "Bracket-Step Bumper", should have later this week. I took another look underneath this morning, found a plug on the driver's side I have to remove. I found the 4 (2 each side) 16mm nuts (connects bumper to brackets) and the two (behind license plate, connect bumper to hitch receiver assy) 15mm bolts. I fitted a 13mm box to the bracket mounting bolts (two, left and right; 6 bracket bolts, 3 ea side) and that seemed to fit. Hopefully my son can help me when I pull the bumper, otherwise I have a couple come along straps that should hold it in place as I lower it to the ground.

I don't expect this to take long. I'll post back with a summary once the new parts are in.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-06 08-51-47.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  33.3 KB

Thanks for the input.

I ordered a 6840447AC "Bracket-Step Bumper", should have later this week...]
    My parts are en route, but I did have a follow up question. There is a large electrical multi-plug on the driver's side, pictured below with the red arrow. Does anyone know what the release mechanism is for these kinds of plugs so I can pull it out of the harness?

Apparently this will have to come out in order for me to pull the bumper. Thanks.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-09 06-55-13.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  31.9 KB

I'd pinch the barbs on the post (blue circle) to remove the wiring hwrness from that bracket get a better look, but I think that white piece (green circle) might be a locking cam that you have to rotate?

Name:  Screenshot%20from%202023-06-09%2006-55-13~2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  44.1 KB

I'd search youtube for your particular model if it isn't clear once you get a closer look. Some of the connectors aren't intuitive:

Not a truck, but truck based

The new GX550 looks pretty good:
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...-release-date/

It's always tough making the choice between SUV and small truck. The new GX looks like a well designed product. If the price isn't astronomical it could be a good option.

I really like the 8000lb tow rating.

User Tag List