Page 4 of 93 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Buy a Tacoma TRD and you will be happy. If you are a power junky buy a tundra with the 5.7 andTRD and you will smile every day.
    I get 14 MPG in my tundra crew max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 16 Tacoma TRD off-road and really like it. The only grip I have is the 6spd auto loves to shift around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I have a 16 Tacoma TRD off-road and really like it. The only grip I have is the 6spd auto loves to shift around.

That's the future of transmissions, more gears and lots of shifting to stay in certain RPM ranges. 8 and 10 speeds are only going to make it worse.

Speaking of extra gears, I think a 6 speed would be better in the new Raptor. The Eco boost has a broad power band and other than a "moar is better" appeal, I think that it is a step in the wrong direction.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

New raptor Is a 10 speed automatic. Gotta meet that EPA requirement some how..V6, forced induction, direct injection, 10 speed automatics.
    i used to wannabe

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I have a one-ton GMC Savana that I bought for $800 seven years ago. That's long enough to figure out it's pretty much the perfect truck for me. Carrying two dirt bikes and gear enclosed and not in a trailer is a good thing. But it's getting too beat to work for me anymore. I wasn't using or maintaining it for the first ~170k miles, and lots of things happened to it that would be more expensive to fix than makes sense. I may be hitting the reset button soon. Will take some luck. Local Chevy dealer searched nationwide and found three that are speced out the way I want. 6.0L has 50% more power than my old 5.7.

We raced dirt bikes for a couple years out of a GMC 2500 van. It was awesome!
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    That's the future of transmissions, more gears and lots of shifting to stay in certain RPM ranges. 8 and 10 speeds are only going to make it worse.

Speaking of extra gears, I think a 6 speed would be better in the new Raptor. The Eco boost has a broad power band and other than a "moar is better" appeal, I think that it is a step in the wrong direction.
    The thing that really makes it annoying in the Tacoma is that it likes to drop out of 6 into 4th anytime you want to accelerate at all, or even just climbing a slight grade. It gives you the impression that the engine has no power, when in fact it has plenty of power. I believe I read somewhere it likes to rev for emissions purposes. I didn't test drive the manual because I was sick of driving a manual when I traded in my '12 (and the second gen manual was horrible) but I've heard that the third gen truck is a lot more fun to drive with the manual, it apparently feels a lot more powerful and obviously doesn't suffer from the same shifty transmission. I've also read that the manual in the third gen is an excellent transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    The thing that really makes it annoying in the Tacoma is that it likes to drop out of 6 into 4th anytime you want to accelerate at all, or even just climbing a slight grade. It gives you the impression that the engine has no power, when in fact it has plenty of power. I believe I read somewhere it likes to rev for emissions purposes. I didn't test drive the manual because I was sick of driving a manual when I traded in my '12 (and the second gen manual was horrible) but I've heard that the third gen truck is a lot more fun to drive with the manual, it apparently feels a lot more powerful and obviously doesn't suffer from the same shifty transmission. I've also read that the manual in the third gen is an excellent transmission.

That's a good description. It wants to get into highest gear to get down to cruise at damn near idle for lower fuel consumption, but that puts it too low in the powerband and causes it to downshift and rev with any load... Including a headwind or slight grade. It undermines the MPG improvements I think it would be much better if the engine had a little more torque in that off-idle rpm range. ( I wonder how that trans would work with the old 4.0's powerband) I was also worried the eventual addition of larger tires would really exacerbate the effect.

I'm afraid it's going to be a fact of life moving forward with the current industry trends.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I have the 2014 F-150 with the 3.5EB and a six speed, and it RARELY downshifts into fifth. With the turbos it is tuned to have all 420fp of torque at only 2500rpm. I am sure the ten speed will shift more readily but the ratios will be so close you might not even know.

I have been really happy with the way the turbos bring the torque in early. I was so happy I went out and got the Focus ST as a companion, and it peaks torque at the same 2500rpm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Look at the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. More room, more options, better gas mileage, and more power than the Taco.
    #RESIST

User Tag List