Page 91 of 93 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 LastLast

Thread: Trucks

One of my keys of my new to me Ram 1500 was distinctly ratty, so today I swapped the innards into a new aftermarket replacement key fob / case / cover. The new fob cover was affordable (around $25) and since I reused the chassis, no reprogramming was needed.

Process was fairly straightforward. I needed a Torx T5 bit to remove the 6 screws (four in the chassis itself, two under the chrome "wings".) I also used my opti-visor thingie because dang those screws are small The only fiddly part was getting the original glovebox key to seat on the old chassis retention lug, with the new covers in place. I ended up having to use a 4 oz delrin hammer to tap it into place. This was after cleaning it out - there was a whole lotta dust in there - with some Electronic Cleaner and a tiny bit of silicone lube on a Q-tip.

Name:  Screenshot from 2024-02-21 16-25-33.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  105.1 KB

Key fob I ordered:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQQG59RS...roduct_details

It seemed every bit well built as the original OEM part, to be honest. I would not be surprised if it was made at the same factory, but of course does not carry the "Ram" logo on the back.

Welp, did a kinda switcheroo on the truck front this week.

Some of you know my son and DIL recently had triplets. Since they don't really have a vehicle that's suitable for them, after talking options over, I decided we'd give them our truck for the babies. Once nice thing about the Crew Cab Ram trucks is there are three LATCH anchors across the rear bench. Most of the SUVs we looked at had two, plus the center being belted in. We test fit their infant car seats and the truck works for them, so we knew it would be a good fit. They also have a three-gang stroller which is pretty big, and it fits in the covered truck bed easily. Plus room for groceries. They haven't had a pickup before, but I think it will work out.

As we were contemplating options for replacing it, we drove by a local Ram dealer to take a look at the Dodge Durango. Well what do you know, sitting there they had a used '20 Ram 1500 on the lot with an acceptable price. So we bought that one and gave the '21 to my son. Turns out Florida has no gift tax, so all he had to pay was tag and license.

The bonus is despite the '20 being a year older, it's lower mileage and a 4x4, which I always wanted. Tow capacity is virtually identical, both are V8 Hemi with the 3.92 rear end, with the '20 having a small bit more cargo carrying capacity. (we are without a trailer at the moment, but you never know, heh). I'll miss the bigger tank (it has the normal 26 gallon tank) and built-in factory nav (I gather in '20 the uConnect 8.4 was available with or without Nav, this one does not). Still has wired carplay though, and I didn't really use the factory Ram nav in the truck much; I prefer Waze by a large margin.

I've not had 4WD since my fourth gen 2500 with the Cummins, and driving them back to back both my wife and I felt the 4x4 was a little top heavy? Hard to describe. I'm not really that truck savvy, so I'll need to read up on the 2WD, 4Auto, 4Hi and 5Low options. I did read the manual and watch some videos, so I am pretty much going to leave it in 2WD unless maybe I get into heavy rain or bad weather; I don't typically go off road. Still, if we ever tow again, I will value having the option, there were a couple times in RV parks I appreciated having 4WD previously.

The '20 is very smooth, and acceleration with the V8 rumble is nice. The motor seems quieter as well, I'm not quite sure what to make of that but it doesn't seem to have the hemi tick that my '21 has. I am not clear what oil is in the sump, perhaps could have an effect, but I'm not sure. The manual specifies 5W-20, so absent better input that's what I will use next oil change. The truck is factory "certified", meaning they give you a 3 month/3,000 mileage comprehensive warranty, and a 7 year/100,000 mile power train warranty.

There only a few things I need to address; a piece of the left rear door chrome trim was missing (I have he new piece, $82 shipped) and the tires appear to be the original 275/55x20 Nexens. Tread is down to about 5.5 mm, so, will soon need to order replacements (most likely Michelin Defender LTX, same as on the '21). There's more road noise but with the tires being that worn, it doesn't surprise me.

It's the right color, too.

Name:  IMG_4915.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  76.1 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 02-24-2024 at 07:17 AM.

*4Low, typo.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'm not really that truck savvy, so I'll need to read up on the 2WD, 4Auto, 4Hi and 4Low options.
    The notion of 4Auto sounds perfect, but I have never liked the idea and have avoided it. In my experience it pre-locks the hubs (good, IMO), and shifts the transfer case when it detects slipping (bad, IMO). Just seems like abruptly engaging a system that I do not believe has any clutches (not AWD full time, just shifting in and out of 4High) just goes against my better judgement, but I could be FoS.

Site Supporter
    Welp, did a kinda switcheroo on the truck front this week.

Some of you know my son and DIL recently had triplets. Since they don't really have a vehicle that's suitable for them, after talking options over, I decided we'd give them our truck for the babies. Once nice thing about the Crew Cab Ram trucks is there are three LATCH anchors across the rear bench. Most of the SUVs we looked at had two, plus the center being belted in. We test fit their infant car seats and the truck works for them, so we knew it would be a good fit. They also have a three-gang stroller which is pretty big, and it fits in the covered truck bed easily. Plus room for groceries. They haven't had a pickup before, but I think it will work out.

As we were contemplating options for replacing it, we drove by a local Ram dealer to take a look at the Dodge Durango. Well what do you know, sitting there they had a used '20 Ram 1500 on the lot with an acceptable price. So we bought that one and gave the '21 to my son. Turns out Florida has no gift tax, so all he had to pay was tag and license.

The bonus is despite the '20 being a year older, it's lower mileage and a 4x4, which I always wanted. Tow capacity is virtually identical, both are V8 Hemi with the 3.92 rear end, with the '20 having a small bit more cargo carrying capacity. (we are without a trailer at the moment, but you never know, heh). I'll miss the bigger tank (it has the normal 26 gallon tank) and built-in factory nav (I gather in '20 the uConnect 8.4 was available with or without Nav, this one does not). Still has wired carplay though, and I didn't really use the factory Ram nav in the truck much; I prefer Waze by a large margin.

I've not had 4WD since my fourth gen 2500 with the Cummins, and driving them back to back both my wife and I felt the 4x4 was a little top heavy? Hard to describe. I'm not really that truck savvy, so I'll need to read up on the 2WD, 4Auto, 4Hi and 5Low options. I did read the manual and watch some videos, so I am pretty much going to leave it in 2WD unless maybe I get into heavy rain or bad weather; I don't typically go off road. Still, if we ever tow again, I will value having the option, there were a couple times in RV parks I appreciated having 4WD previously.

The '20 is very smooth, and acceleration with the V8 rumble is nice. The motor seems quieter as well, I'm not quite sure what to make of that but it doesn't seem to have the hemi tick that my '21 has. I am not clear what oil is in the sump, perhaps could have an effect, but I'm not sure. The manual specifies 5W-20, so absent better input that's what I will use next oil change. The truck is factory "certified", meaning they give you a 3 month/3,000 mileage comprehensive warranty, and a 7 year/100,000 mile power train warranty.

There only a few things I need to address; a piece of the left rear door chrome trim was missing (I have he new piece, $82 shipped) and the tires appear to be the original 275/55x20 Nexens. Tread is down to about 5.5 mm, so, will soon need to order replacements (most likely Michelin Defender LTX, same as on the '21). There's more road noise but with the tires being that worn, it doesn't surprise me.

It's the right color, too.

Name:  IMG_4915.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  76.1 KB
    Good move, Grandpa. I am sure it a load and stress off those parents.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The notion of 4Auto sounds perfect, but I have never liked the idea and have avoided it. In my experience it pre-locks the hubs (good, IMO), and shifts the transfer case when it detects slipping (bad, IMO). Just seems like abruptly engaging a system that I do not believe has any clutches (not AWD full time, just shifting in and out of 4High) just goes against my better judgement, but I could be FoS.
    The auto transfer cases have clutches.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The auto transfer cases have clutches.
    Have they always? The first one I had was 2003 and I thought it was just a shifter deal, but I may be ASSUming that are all still like that.
    I believe some Jeeps offer a 4H/4L/AQWD-H type option that seemed like a good idea, but have never owned one.

There seem to be multiple reasons for the hemi tick. I had to replace the exhaust manifold on mine twice. Passenger side at about 70K and driver at like 120K. Would tick on start up and then actually quiet down as everything got hot and sealed up I guess. The manifold bolts break and then the manifold warps.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Have they always?
    I can't speak to every auto transfer case ever made, but all the reasonably current domestic makes operate with a clutch. GM and Ram are clutch only if you get the 4auto-capable transfer case and you can get the GM case to overheat if you use it stupidly in rough terrain due to the lack of mechanical lock. The vast vast majority of non-stupid users will not have an issue, but if you're in to desert racing or extreme rock crawling it's a possibilitity.

Ford is unique in that the auto transfer case still retains the ability for mechanical lockup in 4hi/lo as well. Probably thank the Raptor for that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can't speak to every auto transfer case ever made, but all the reasonably current domestic makes operate with a clutch.
    You have studied this more than me, maybe I will try using it more... (2014 F-150)

User Tag List