Page 22 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    kindof an oddball question for some truck owners but...

I'm looking for a curtain system for the back seat. At a minimum I'm wanting to cover the rear window and the two back seat windows, but something that encloses the entire rear of the the crew cab truck would be great. I am hoping for a relatively easy install, but also unobtrusive, but also easy to deploy. My thought is that something that drops down from the ceiling would be best, and something on a track or tracks that runs around the ceiling (like a hospital exam room( would be the next best.

A few folks have steered me towards curtains designed for big rigs but they seem like they are less than ideal in terms of ease of deploy/retract.
    I would look at something that uses velcro. I had something similar in my old camper that rolled up with velcro straps.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My neighbor who spends his free time buying derelicts and restoring them just bought a neighbors 82 Chey 3/4 pickup. I don't think it was running when he bought it. Yesterday I saw it on the road. The very odd part about this is it's a 6.2 L diesel. Not a mod because it has the badge on the tailgate. The body is in good shape and it has a little over 110K on it. He asked me if I wanted it and I'm still thinking about it. I sold my Duramax so don't have a PU anymore.

Anyone know anything about these early 6.2 liter engines? Are they the ones that were built by modifying a gas block. It doesn't have a turbo charger so power is going to be in the low range. I didn't drive it. I've read that GM had many problems with them so I'm doing some research now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post

Anyone know anything about these early 6.2 liter engines? Are they the ones that were built by modifying a gas block. It doesn't have a turbo charger so power is going to be in the low range. I didn't drive it. I've read that GM had many problems with them so I'm doing some research now.
    I wouldn't do it. They are getting really old and weren't that great to begin with. A 350 gas engine would be more reliable, easier to find parts for, and more likely that you would be able to fix it yourself.

On edit: If it is 4WD, and you can get it cheap enough, it may be worth it. Some guys converted them by dropping in a crate motor.
    Last edited by SecondsCount; 06-08-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My neighbor who spends his free time buying derelicts and restoring them just bought a neighbors 82 Chey 3/4 pickup. I don't think it was running when he bought it. Yesterday I saw it on the road. The very odd part about this is it's a 6.2 L diesel. Not a mod because it has the badge on the tailgate. The body is in good shape and it has a little over 110K on it. He asked me if I wanted it and I'm still thinking about it. I sold my Duramax so don't have a PU anymore.

The 6.2 was a stand alone design. It was not the one they produced for cars off the 350. That rumor just won't die. They can be o.k. trucks if you are a diesel enthusiast and can work on them yourself. Power is nothing to write home about, but they can get decent fuel mileage. For just running around locally there is really nothing wrong with them. Getting parts is a specialized thing, but they are out there. Like @SecondsCount said, if the body is in great shape they are a nice base to build off because you can often get them cheaper than other "square body" Chevys.

Anyone have experience with the most recent gen Toyota Tacoma and the 6 speed automatic? I’ve been reading that even with the 6 cylinder there’s not much low end and the transmission gear hunts a lot. I’m in the market and open to either a manual or auto, but the auto would make life a little easier. My wife doesn’t drive stick and has no interest and it would be nice if she could drive this from time to time since until we move we have a single car driveway.

I prefer manuals, but not as much as I prefer not having to go outside and jockey cars for no other reason. If the manual is a much better experience though I’ll deal and see if I can convince her to try it.

Side note: the market on these things is literally upside down. I see similarly equipped used 2019s listed for more than a brand new 2021. Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Anyone have experience with the most recent gen Toyota Tacoma and the 6 speed automatic? I’ve been reading that even with the 6 cylinder there’s not much low end and the transmission gear hunts a lot. I’m in the market and open to either a manual or auto, but the auto would make life a little easier. My wife doesn’t drive stick and has no interest and it would be nice if she could drive this from time to time since until we move we have a single car driveway.

I prefer manuals, but not as much as I prefer not having to go outside and jockey cars for no other reason. If the manual is a much better experience though I’ll deal and see if I can convince her to try it.

Side note: the market on these things is literally upside down. I see similarly equipped used 2019s listed for more than a brand new 2021. Wtf?
    Wait, just wait. The market is horrible. I'm not sure if they've fixed the infamous transmission issue, but the new Nissan Frontier is coming and the current Tacoma V6 isn't as good as the old 4.0 V6.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter

I'd buy it and wouldn't even hesitate. And I wouldn't be trying to swap it for another engine. I've owned two GM's with that family of engine...the first was an '89 R3500 single rear wheel truck with the 6.2 and a 4-speed manual and the second was a '96 3500HD with the 6.5 turbo and a 5-speed.

As mentioned above, the 6.2 was not related to the Olds 5.7 Diesel which was a gas-block conversion. The 6.2 was designed by Detroit Diesel and it's purpose was for increased fuel mileage. Towing and hauling heavy stuff had little-to-nothing to do with the design of this engine, and if you understand that, you'll get along just fine with it. The 2WD's with the 700R4 autos would routinely get 20-24 mpg at a time when contemporary gas engines would average 12.

The 6.2 I had in the '89 was the J-code (?) or whatever it was version that had no EGR because it was emissions exempt. I think it made 140 hp or so. No turbo, a very pungent diesel smell, but I used it to pull a dual-axle trailer with skid-steer here and there, and the truck was already loaded down with a welder, torches, and associated equipment. You just have to have patience with these older engines. You get there when you get there. Any GM with this will of course have the Hydroboost brakes since there's no vacuum created in a diesel engine. Older hydroboosts are notorious leakers, but there are custom line-makers out there who can make lines on your drawings OR with your old lines sent to them.

My '96 3500HD with the 6.5L Turbo was also a decent truck, but the Achilles heel of those engines was the FMU (Fuel Management Unit?) which was on the side of the electronic injection pump right in the valley of the engine, and the heat killed FMU's eventually. I kept a spare with me at all times, and needed it once. At around $300 at the time, it wasn't a cheap spare to keep. When it died, you could sometimes restart and get a few more miles, but you were pretty much done. Some people relocated them to cooler parts of the engine bay with some success.

The 6.5 Turbo, while still a weak engine at around 195 hp, did have the best diesel turbo whine at idle I've been around in a small diesel once you took the muffler off. I mean it sounded great. I straight-piped all of my diesels back then, and that one just had a great sound. Not like the Cummins which always sound agricultural to me, and the 7.3 never sounded great either although both outclassed the 6.5 in areas other than fuel economy.

Again, the main thing to remember about these engines is that their roots are in fuel economy. They're not built like industrial diesels, and they are what they are. If you can be satisfied with acceleration similar to what the same-period 292 inline 6 would make, then go for it. I'd own one again. And if it blew up, I'd look for a later-year 6.2 to drop back in it because if I remember right, some modifications were made later on which increased reliability.

As mentioned above, the 6.2 was not related to the Olds 5.7 Diesel which was a gas-block conversion. The 6.2 was designed by Detroit Diesel and it's purpose was for increased fuel mileage. Towing and hauling heavy stuff had little-to-nothing to do with the design of this engine, and if you understand that, you'll get along just fine with it. The 2WD's with the 700R4 autos would routinely get 20-24 mpg at a time when contemporary gas engines would average 12.
    That's interesting. My 07 Duramax got 18 mph average. It could pull a house but the mileage sucked and it kept me poor replacing parts.

My neighbor hasn't put a price on this 82. We'll see what he comes up with. The thing sounds like a rock crusher at idle.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    That's interesting. My 07 Duramax got 18 mph average.
    The 6.2 gets good mileage because that's what it was designed for. That was an era of high fuel prices, remember the diesel Olds? The diesel Rabbits? All from the same time period.

A diesel needs a tremendous amount of air per unit of fuel burned, which limits power output on the naturally aspirated diesels such as those listed above. They are fuel-efficient because their design simply doesn't allow them to flow enough air to burn enough fuel to have real power. Really nothing magic about them; no free lunch, either. You have to be OK with the slower pace which would frankly be dangerous in some places these days.

The 6.2 is a relic from another time, but then again, I'm finding myself to be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Wait, just wait. The market is horrible. I'm not sure if they've fixed the infamous transmission issue, but the new Nissan Frontier is coming and the current Tacoma V6 isn't as good as the old 4.0 V6.
    What’s up with the new Frontier? I don’t follow Nissan closely.

I really want out of my SUV before hunting season this fall but you’re right, the market blows right now. I don’t know much about the Colorados, I’ve read enough about head gasket issues with the Ranger motor that I’m gonna pass on that.

So am I to take it that even in the 6 speed manual I’m better off passing on the Tacoma now?

User Tag List