Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Birth year....what was awesome

Just picked up this bad boy. Maybe not the top choice of 1983 but it was available and plenty capable. 2.75" Ruger Security Six. I need to find some Speed Sixes.

Last edited by Bigghoss; 01-08-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Birth year....what was awesome

Just a thought... as I mentioned in another thread, my grandson was born a couple days ago...

So, I thought of this thread. And I thought, "what would I buy for the little guy that's out now, that would be a cool gift for him in 21 years?"

The 1911 seems like an obvious choice.

But what would you guys suggest? Like, if I bought something this month, and left it sealed in the box, unopened for 18-21 years?

I am sure there are creative minds in here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gadfly; 01-13-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Is there a specific gun or type of gun you and/or your grandsons parents enjoy shooting?
    i used to wannabe

Well, since he is 3 days old, he has not jumped into the Glock vs 1911 argument!

His mom (my daughter) is a LEO and carries a P2000 right now. Dad carries a 19, and then both have AR SBRs in NFA jail...

“A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Just a thought... as I mentioned in another thread, my grandson was born a couple days ago...

So, I thought of this thread. And I thought, "what would I buy for the little guy that's out now, that would be a cool gift for him in 21 years?"

The 1911 seems like an obvious choice.

But what would you guys suggest? Like, if I bought something this month, and left it sealed in the box, unopened for 18-21 years?

I am sure there are creative minds in here...

There's cool as in unique and there's cool as in popular, and you can have unique and/or popular that isn't cool (it's a limited outlook on what cool could be, but helpful to use). Also, one of the hallmarks of all the guns mentioned in this thread so far were superb at what they did, for most it was in being a weapon.

1911s, nowadays, are still cool but not as popular as they once were nor particularly unique (unless you're talking about heirloom quality), so I don't know that this would be the way to go.

Since we are in the revolver section, the newly released Colt Cobra does fall in the cool category, but it must be proven to work, and actually get sales. We'll have to see if the gun works out.

Polymer pistols are all the rage nowadays. That makes them popular, but not unique, though a large segment of the gun buying public thinks of them as cool (probably because of movies and tv shows -once during a family get together, we all got to shoot a little and one 12 year old asked me if that was Glock I was lending to shoot, I said yes and he responded with "Cool! I get to shoot a Glock!", but that's because a large part of the family is 'inside the beltway' folk). Pistolsmiths have gone to great lengths to make the rather pedestrian polymer SF/hammer pistol cool; just look at all the Zev mods that are shown around. However, those mods don't necessarily make for a superb weapon. But if we want cool, as in popular, and also unique, and a superb weapon, we need to look to quality custom work. I would suggest that a Langdon PX4C or an HK or SIG worked over by Grey Guns would definitely be a hot ticket for 2017.

Birth year guns are cool. If the Cobra works out that would make it cool. But if I was looking to create an Heirloom, there's this guy named Jason I've heard of...
    Ignore Alien Orders

Get him 2 Glocks, some extra springs and a couple of cases of ammo in sealed cans.

User Tag List