Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Techniques for Locking Wrists and Elbows?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    "I find the Roger's method of "pliable grip" and "locked wrists" a more efficient and effective technique, personally."

Hey spinmove, I'm interested in hearing the details about that if you have the time. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting it from a Google search.
    As far as "pliable hands" go, follow the link and I'll let Ron Avery explain it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=Pliable+hands

As far as "locked wrists", it's kind of a bad term as it doesn't really tell you anything useful. A more accurate term would be "static orientation of wrists". Basically the concept is that you keep your wrists in as static a position as possible through the gun's operation.

Take for example doing a bicep curl. When you grab the weight to curl it, do you let your wrist flop about with the weight grasped in your hand as you perform the curl with your bicep? No. You keep your wrist in a static formation to better control and handle that weight. It's the same concept with a gun recoiling. Except that your arms are supposed to be stationary and the gun is the one doing the moving. There's no magical "locking point" or "feeling of a lock" in your wrists, just a static hold on those joints. Having your wrists bent more forward or away from you helps in keeping those wrists "locked". Extend them too far and it can get fatiguing.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

The Avery technique is only making things more confusing. Almost everyone, except Alfred League, tells me I should crush the gun with my support hand. How does on apply pliable pressure except by not gripping the gun so hard? I'm guessing that he means exerting side-to-side pressure with the meaty parts of the palms that are below the base of the thumbs. That way I can still relax my hand. Can I relax my hand if I exert front to back pressure with my strong hand?

Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 12-28-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    The Avery technique is only making things more confusing. Almost everyone, except Alfred League, tells me I should crush the gun with my support hand. How does on apply pliable pressure except by not gripping the gun so hard?

Randy
    "Hard" is a rather subjective term. How do you define "hard"? Is it different than "firm"? If it is, how different is it?

I think you should watch both videos again and pay attention to the parts where he makes the distinction between "gripping hard enough to be too rigid" and "gripping hard enough to hold on, but not so much that you're losing contact with the pistol".

Either way, you can't grip too loosely, but you can't squeeze and white knuckle it either as that is ultimately detrimental, or so I've found. When I grip the pistol, it's pretty damn firm. When I shake someone's hand, it usually gets their attention with how hard my typical grip is.

I think grip PRESSURE, while important and most definitely necessary, is a little overblown and not nearly as important as grip TECHNIQUE. You can grip the snot out of it, but if you're not doing it right it's not going to have the desired effect and your trigger control will suffer.

Work smarter, not harder.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    The Avery technique is only making things more confusing. Almost everyone, except Alfred League, tells me I should crush the gun with my support hand. How does on apply pliable pressure except by not gripping the gun so hard? I'm guessing that he means exerting side-to-side pressure with the meaty parts of the palms that are below the base of the thumbs. That way I can still relax my hand. Can I relax my hand if I exert front to back pressure with my strong hand?

Randy
    It did nada for me either.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The approach I teach to recoil management is based on a coaching model and experiential learning. The problem with learning recoil management with live fire is recoil happens to fast for us to process what we are doing right/wrong. On this you tube channel is most of the exercises I use to coach folks; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoQ...lzY8az77X-cuCA The first 14 videos are from the two sessions I coached at RangeMaster Tactical Conference.

And there are five videos on Mark Luell's channel; https://youtu.be/3ZJ_dxMoKL4

Again, this is the approach I use. It might not work for everyone but a lot of folks dig it. Hopefully it will help the OP develop some more recoil control and avoid some of the mistakes I made. There are also clips floating around social media from other conferences and classes I've taught. I always encourage folks to video the exercises if they find them valuable so they can use the video as a reference later and so they can coach others if they'd like to use the exercises for that purpose.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 12-29-2016 at 01:27 AM.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

^^^ I was standing over to the right during this session at Tac Con in Memphis.

This lesson in recoil control by Paul really made a big impression on me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    Forgive me, but I found this funny. Maybe I'm just not getting enough sleep.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOYwS8UZ2c

Jiminy, that's hysterical. Are those two stoned in ALL their videos?

Randy,
    I've spent a lot of time in the past trying to consciously maintain a locked wrist while shooting. Like some others have said, the ability to crush grip the gun with both hands can have huge benefits in recoil management and sight tracking. Ben Stoeger mentions in his Practical Pistol Foundations video that he grips the gun so hard with his support hand that he sometimes breaks the skin of his strong hand.

I've also confirmed after testing different grip tension and hand placement that my sights move the least when I grip the gun as physically hard as possible- and my wrists naturally stay tense! "Speed mode" dryfire is also a great diagnostic tool to test and validate new techniques.

Regular Guy,
    Are you gripping hard with both hands? And with your shooting hand are you gripping front to back or side to side?
    One issue I have with trying to crush the gun is that it causes fatigue, and I find that, after shooting a number of rounds, the fatigue affects my shooting.
    Thanks,
    Randy
    Last edited by randyflycaster; 12-31-2016 at 11:40 AM.

The stronger your physical grip is the less force you need to hold the gun really tight.

Like if I can squeeze 300lbs or force my "firm" hold will be more than the crush hold of a man that is squeezing 175lbs maxed out.

Just keep gripping as hard as you can without shaking that still allows you to pull the trigger without disturbing the sights. Your strength will increase as you practice. Don't get hung up in overthinking this.
    Last edited by Luke; 12-31-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List