Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any Techniques for Locking Wrists and Elbows?

Folks,
    Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.
    Randyt

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post

Tom Givens is running Combative Pistol next July in Kalispell. I'd highly recommend making that happen.
    Still on my radar.

Watch this vid by Vogel. It gives a pretty great overview of all the bases that need covering.

The biggest thing I got from Vogel is the way he tensions his arms; putting constant side-in pressure from both arms into the gun, seriously activating the forearms in addition to using the natural sping effect of your elbows in recoil. This had a major impact on my ability to place accurate follow-up shots once I got a good handle on it.

Originally, I tried reinforcing that side pressure with the palms in such a way that could be liken to the way one pries apart an object or even twists a wet towel. This did indeed apply side pressure on the grip, but it was evenly distributed from the tang to the heel of the grip.
    Later I got the suggestion from this forum to rotate my elbows outward.
    Doing so, for me, gives more side pressure in the palms that is concentrated higher just under the beaver tail giving me even better recoil control. I find that I am also less likely to milk the grip or pull my shots off to the side.
    I don't think I'll ever be able to grip a pistol like Vogel in regards to rotating my support hand as sharply forward as he is capable of. When I do so, I gain less contact with the grip/frame of the pistol with my support hand. Plus, that forced angle tends to pinch something in my wrist.

Forgive me, but I found this funny. Maybe I'm just not getting enough sleep.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ydOYwS8UZ2c

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I wouldn't do that...

Locking elbows is definitely undesirable. The wrist is less important and can be argued about. Put a video up of you shooting a bill drill from the side and I'm sure we can fix you up.
    Randy, you really want to do this. It will be very good.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    Originally, I tried reinforcing that side pressure with the palms in such a way that could be liken to the way one pries apart an object or even twists a wet towel. This did indeed apply side pressure on the grip, but it was evenly distributed from the tang to the heel of the grip.
    Later I got the suggestion from this forum to rotate my elbows outward.
    Doing so, for me, gives more side pressure in the palms that is concentrated higher just under the beaver tail giving me even better recoil control. I find that I am also less likely to milk the grip or pull my shots off to the side.
    I don't think I'll ever be able to grip a pistol like Vogel in regards to rotating my support hand as sharply forward as he is capable of. When I do so, I gain less contact with the grip/frame of the pistol with my support hand. Plus, that forced angle tends to pinch something in my wrist.
    Part of the reason why Robert is able to do that so well is because he's able to use his support hand index finger to wrap around the trigger guard and anchor his hand to the frame really well. Try as I might, I was blessed with short fingers and thus I'm not able to achieve the same lock.

I also find that if I roll my elbows out too far I lose too much contact on lower portions of the grip which cause slippage and I'm not able to manage Recoil properly. I find the Roger's method of "pliable grip" and "locked wrists" a more efficient and effective technique, personally.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Vogel video is very good, though I'm not sure what he means by not grabbing the gun like a monkey and then instead pinching ...
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    Vogel video is very good, though I'm not sure what he means by not grabbing the gun like a monkey and then instead pinching ...
    Randy
    The pinching is where you flag the strong hand thumb in order to get your grip as high up on the tang as high as possible.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

"I find the Roger's method of "pliable grip" and "locked wrists" a more efficient and effective technique, personally."

Hey spinmove, I'm interested in hearing the details about that if you have the time. For some reason I'm having a hard time getting it from a Google search.

User Tag List