Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P320 "failed FBI test miserably"

If the P320 Browning-ish tilt-lock action will drop the striker with the slide "out of battery" but the barrel still in locked position as shown in Tokarev's primer pop, and demonstrated by a centered primer indent, will it blow the case head as shown by chiguy31 in #53? Which also shows a centered primer indent, indicating a barrel in locked position.
    How?
    The barrel is still locked and the case as well "supported" as ever, even though the slide is a fraction back.

It is not just the P320. I think I have seen blown case heads in every make and model of pistol blamed on "out of battery." Yet the primers, where retained, are hit right in the middle, indicating a barrel in the up and locked position.

I have not seen a real analysis, just "out of battery" said as a mantra that explains all.
    Anybody got a blow by blow description of what they think is going on?

I think somebody is going to have to sacrifice one of these guns with live ammo "out of battery" to give it a real test.
    Why not? It is not worth anything except as a guinea pig, unreliable and unsafe.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 11-27-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    If the P320 Browning-ish tilt-lock action will drop the striker with the slide "out of battery" but the barrel still in locked position as shown in Tokarev's primer pop, and demonstrated by a centered primer indent, will it blow the case head as shown by chiguy31 in #53? Which also shows a centered primer indent, indicating a barrel in locked position.
    How?
    The barrel is still locked and the case as well "supported" as ever, even though the slide is a fraction back.

It is not just the P320. I think I have seen blown case heads in every make and model of pistol blamed on "out of battery." Yet the primers, where retained, are hit right in the middle, indicating a barrel in the up and locked position.

I have not seen a real analysis, just "out of battery" said as a mantra that explains all.

I think somebody is going to have to sacrifice one of these guns with live ammo "out of battery" to give it a real test.

Why not? It is not worth anything except as a guinea pig, unreliable and unsafe.
    Yes, he was shooting Buffalo Bore.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    How?

The point of a short recoil action is that the slide and barrel recoil locked together for a short distance. This gives time for chamber pressures to drop. If the pistol is fired with the locked slide/barrel retracted already and the two are about to unlock, there's not enough time for pressure to drop to a safe level. Hence, case failure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I didn't make a video of the M&P firing slightly out of battery but it, too, will pop a primer with the slide about 1/10in from being fully forward.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If the pistol is fired with the locked slide/barrel retracted already and the two are about to unlock, there's not enough time for pressure to drop to a safe level. Hence, case failure.
    That is about what I expected to get.
    I would like to see it demonstrated under controlled conditions. I mean, everybody agrees the guns aren't worth anything.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Yes, he was shooting Buffalo Bore.
    That shouldn't be something that's ruled out. Buffalo Bore runs the ragged edge with a bunch of their stuff.

Does anyone have the official FBI report concerning the new pistol testing results? How all entrants performed?

Quote Originally Posted by Navyguns View Post
    Does anyone have the official FBI report concerning the new pistol testing results? How all entrants performed?
    I imagine that's all covered by NDA's. We may never know who submitted guns and which ones failed.

PensFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Navyguns View Post
    I don't believe anything will ever be officially reported. It really doesn't matter anymore anyway. Water under the bridge..

Quote Originally Posted by PensFan View Post
    I don't believe anything will ever be officially reported. It really doesn't matter anymore anyway. Water under the bridge..

I would like to see how the FBI tests the weapons and the methodology. In many ways the FBI testing weapons is more informative to a armed civilian than the military pistol testing.

User Tag List