Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig P320 "failed FBI test miserably"

Sig P320 "failed FBI test miserably"

Hi,

was on social media this AM and saw a screenshot from Larry Vickers stating that the Sig P320 failed the FBI test miserably. Anyone have any info or details on this? Anyone have any problems out of their 320s? I admittedly am new to the gun. I have been a DA/SA fan boy since I started shooting/carrying/competing and only picked up some 320s after I was challenged by my friend to try out SFAs in 2017. I only have 1,500 rounds through mine in the last 4 weeks, but it's been flawless (1,500 rounds is obviously nothing).

Just wanted to ask what I needed to watch for, what known problems the guns have, and what spare parts.to stock up on. I'll be maintaining 1,500 rounds until March when I'll probably start hitting 4-6k a month through the gun. Just figured I'd ask the gentlemen who know the platform much better than me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Kirk; 12-24-2016 at 01:25 PM.

I cannot say where I heard this from, nor would I if asked, but it turns out the gun had accuracy and reliability problems as submitted to the test, as compared to other pistols which were submitted.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I cannot say where I heard this from, nor would I if asked, but it turns out the gun had accuracy and reliability problems as submitted to the test, as compared to other pistols which were submitted.

Wow, that's surprising. All of mine shoot 2" at 25. Not that 2" at 25 is crazy or anything, most modern pistols can do that. More interested in the reliability reports though. I wonder if it was the specific test guns or if it is a problem as a whole? I've already been hit in the face with brass 3 times with my carry 320, maybe that was a problem?
    Last edited by Kirk; 12-24-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Wow, that's surprising. All of mine shoot 2" at 25. Not that 2" at 25 is crazy or anything, most modern pistols can do that. More interested in the reliability reports though. I wonder if it was the specific test guns or if it is a problem as a whole? I've already been hit in the face with brass 3 times with my carry 320, maybe that was a problem?

I always hesitate a bit when I see a thread about the P320 because I don't have near the round count others do here. But, when I read about the bad ones, I feel compelled to add my two cents, and here it is: although I wish it were thousands and thousands more, my round count on my 320 compact is right around 1,000. I've had NO malfunctions of any kind.

I've heard accuracy but also accuracy after a few thousand rounds. I've not shot mine for more than a few mags but sights I hate gave me a 4" five shot group from my very first 5 shots outta the gun at 25. Groups were tighter later as I got used to it. It's certainly not an M&P.

I've read elsewhere if high round count 320 users questioning the accuracy comments as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have no dog in the fight but I always wondered about this. Isn't the 320 simply a striker-fired P250? It seemed like the 250 was widely panned and didn't win any contracts. Wouldn't the 320 inherit the shortcomings of the 250, save for anything directly related to the trigger and hammer mechanisms?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser92 View Post
    I have no dog in the fight but I always wondered about this. Isn't the 320 simply a striker-fired P250? It seemed like the 250 was widely panned and didn't win any contracts. Wouldn't the 320 inherit the shortcomings of the 250, save for anything directly related to the trigger and hammer mechanisms?
    The first generation P250 had issues. They were fixed but by the time the second generation P250 came out, the damage was done. Plus it was a long pull DAO trigger released after the popularity of standard DAO guns had waned. By that time most agencies were going with striker fired guns or short pull DAO's like the DAK or LEM.

Re: the P320

1) my understanding is the gun submitted to the FBI was a modified P320. Possible this played a part?

2) I've heard reports from other agency testing of P320's losing accuracy at higher round counts. No hard info to back that up.

I've been told that I'm full of it but my dad and I purchased a 320 FS last year that had issues. Accuracy out of the box was terrible and we tried multiple loads. A new springer guide rod and a lighter recoil spring improved the accuracy a lot. Improving accuracy with a lighter recoil spring seems backwards to me but that's what happened.

We also had 4 cases rupture at the base. These were reloads so the blame was always placed on the cases but I've never had a round rupture before or after. I don't know if it's still there but Bruce Grey had a video of a case rupturing in a 320 on Facebook. IIRC his grand daughter was shooting the pistol but it may have just been a younger girl that was an acquaintance. The ammo was blamed. Occasionally if you read other forums you'll read of similar case failures.

There are also reports of extractor issues after 3-4 k rounds. Sounds like they are easily fixed but it could definitely work against the pistol during something like the FBI test.

I know there are 320s out there that have fired a lot of rounds with no issues. It's very possible that we bought a bad one or that we really had a few bad cases that just happened to all show up while testing the 320. I also know in the internet world we live in things often get blown out of proportion. In my opinion though I believe the pistol needs more time and testing in the field to be fully vetted. And by testing I mean out of the box pistols not tuned and fitted by an outside gunsmith.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

A major advantage of the Glock, is decades of use under a wide range of conditions. Factory testing is important, but some issues only materialize over time. It is the reason many savvy pilots don't want to operate the first 100 serial numbers of a new helicopter or 50 serial numbers of a new fixed wing. Early adopters often get the arrows.

The 320 and VP9 are still relatively new pistols in the overall scheme of things.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The 320 and VP9 are still relatively new pistols in the overall scheme of things.
    I'm curious to see if the 320 and VP9 are among the downselects for the XM17.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List