Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practicing in a restrictive range

Practicing in a restrictive range

There was a thread I read about a topic similar to this but I want to know what I could exactly do to improve my shooting skills in the range I go to with its specific rules.

The rules and conditions are
    -targets are set at 7, 14, 25 and 50 yards
    -No rapid fire, 5 seconds inbetween every five shots (usually sneak around this by the quick doubletap or 5 shots in 5 seconds)
    -No holster draws
    -No moving, there's podiums
    -No more than 1 bullseye at 7 yards (get away with putting multiple 3x5's)

I try to skirt around the rules as much as possible in order to better myself as a shooter. My usual time at the range is spent shooting my Sig P226 practicing the DA/SA transition at 7 and 14 yards on 3x5 targets ontop of that, shooting B-8's at 7 and 14 yards with my Shield. As of now, I'm not good enough to shoot well past 14 with either pistol.

Obviously find a different range...

But if you are going to go here, then only use the range for accuracy standards.

Meaning, development an accuracy standard which you will be able to expand on or chase and shoot it at the range. Like a 200 drill.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Do lots of dry fire and holster work at home. Do Dot Torture and other accuracy work at the range, while you try to find a different (better for practice) range. Got to be one somewhere.

I use different ranges for different things. Some for accuracy work, some for speed work, some for shooting rifles from the bench, etc.

It can be very hard to find a place that lets you shoot El Presidente on the move in low light. I've found that the best bet is private land well away from town. Second best is public land well away from town. Clubs that host action pistol matches usually have good facilities and will let you use them in a realistic way.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Clubs that host action pistol matches usually have good facilities and will let you use them in a realistic way.
    This is a good idea if the OP can find a reasonable one to join. Unfortunately, I haven't found that to be as easy as I'd like near me. There's one that fits that description, but they want $500+ as a joining fee, plus yearly dues and a commitment of work hours on top of that. It's too hard for me to justify, so I stick with the club I'm currently a member of even though the range setup isn't ideal and the rules are more restrictive than I'd like.

Have you asked the range operator about these rule restrictions? It could be that they're concerned about safety, and - if you can assure them of it - you might catch a break.

A public range I once visited had a 'no loaded firearms' sign and a 'no drawing from holsters' sign. After a trip back to the car (and disarming), I asked the counterman about the rules. He asked about me; after I explained what I was doing in Texas, and showed him ID, he said something to the effect of '...those rules are for other people; you're good to go."

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Have you asked the range operator about these rule restrictions? It could be that they're concerned about safety, and - if you can assure them of it - you might catch a break.

A public range I once visited had a 'no loaded firearms' sign and a 'no drawing from holsters' sign. After a trip back to the car (and disarming), I asked the counterman about the rules. He asked about me; after I explained what I was doing in Texas, and showed him ID, he said something to the effect of '...those rules are for other people; you're good to go."
    I'd err against this course of action.

As an RSO I hold myself and folks on the line accountable to the No Holster Work rule regardless of skill level. Even if you are squared away,all it takes is Joe Newbie to see you working a FAST drill to decide he's gonna emulate it -and that's when problems start.

If a range has a restriction,I'd advise one abide by it even if the RSO gives you the wink and nod treatment.

On the bright side, at least you do have access to a live fire range; many folks aren't so fortunate.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I'd err against this course of action.

As an RSO I hold myself and folks on the line accountable to the No Holster Work rule regardless of skill level. Even if you are squared away,all it takes is Joe Newbie to see you working a FAST drill to decide he's gonna emulate it -and that's when problems start.

If a range has a restriction,I'd advise one abide by it even if the RSO gives you the wink and nod treatment.

On the bright side, at least you do have access to a live fire range; many folks aren't so fortunate.
    But there isn't any harm in asking and developing a rapport, I'd say.

I occasionally shoot on a restrictive range. It's annoying, but it's not my house. I appreciate facilities that have a process to "test out" of those restrictions. If the guy in the next booth wants to test out too, good on him. If he can't, or wants to imitate that's what the RSO is for.

One thing range owners could do to help the situation: Make sure all of your employees, on and off range, are in lock step on the explanations when people ask. Getting a different line of derp from each counter rep or RSO is old.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Buy a shot timer.

From whatever ready position, put 1 round into 3x5s or bullseyes at whatever distance you find challenging in 1 second. Once you can reliably hit the target in 1 second, try it strong hand only or weak hand only.

Shoot strong hand only or weak hand only at any distance you can put all your rounds into the bullseye using both hands.

Keep notes, write down scores.

Shoot 25 yard bullseyes. It'll suck for awhile if you're not used to shooting past 14 yards.

User Tag List