Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CCW Live shoot Training Simulator

Quote Originally Posted by oakdalecurtis View Post
    In another one of 1200 scenarios, you are clearing a house room by room. You enter the kitchen with whitewashed cabinets. You don't notice that one of the drawer faces is missing. Suddenly flashes of gunshots come out of the dark area where the drawer face had been! You can't see the perp, but you know by now that he is hiding inside the cabinet and shooting at you through the opening created by the missing drawer face! You fire several rounds into the cabinet and the flashes coming out the dark slot stop and you're still alive. You never see the armed criminal. Is this unlikely? Maybe. But you learn that concealment can't protect a bad guy, you don't have to see your target in all situations, and reacting to the whole situation is critical. Cabinets can't stop bullets!
    I have that happen all the time when I come home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUD7FRStbY
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have that happen all the time when I come home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbUD7FRStbY

Hambo, thanks for that link. Inspector Clouseau and Cato take me back to junior hs (middle school now). Over the years I've discovered not everyone shares our sense of humor. I've watched those scenes a million times and they always make me lose it, including today.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Not common... Not unheard of, and part of the reason it's uncommon is because the lay-off never has to do anything because the robbery is un-resisted.

We've lost at least one off-duty deputy to a lay-off man, and I know of several robberies where accomplices were waiting in vehicles... Since they weren't engaged by anyone we'll never know if they were armed.

I know of one on-duty shooting that involved an multi-suspect (dismounted) ambush on deputies followed by a drive-by from another vehicle (at the initial shooting location) which then engaged deputies at a secondary location (containment spot from the initial shooting). Three shootings in three minutes involving two groups of coordinated bad guys.

Is it far-fetched? I'd say yep, but I've seen enough far-fetched stuff that if it teaches a good lesson and encourages thinking through problems... It's good.
    Attacks on law enforcement, and for that matter any targeted shooting (dope territory disputes, domestic murders, etc.) often look different. Longer distances, more dedication to fighting through injuries, higher round counts, etc. Robberies have a different motivation and different goals. I may need to kill a LEO to avoid apprehension and going to jail. If I can't get your wallet, I can escape to get the next guy's wallet. Risk vs reward an on instinctive level means the same robber may react quite differently in the two circumstances.

I only use actual case files for my own scenarios, and ones where I've been involved in some measure so I know what happened without relying on self-reporting. While I get that the entertainment value and the "lesson learned" from some space invaders come down your chimney scenario is there, I can teach the same lessons based on real events. Given that most folks have very limited training time and money, I'd rather prepare them for the most common issues they are likely to face first, then work up to assassins hidden in desk drawers if that becomes a thing.

At the end of the day, the simulator is a product. It's a big arcade game that may teach some valid lessons and may also introduce some misunderstandings, but if it's fun then it will get repeat business and that's the end goal. I hope people get something out of it. I just would not include it in my curriculum, preferring a more reality-based approach.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    At the end of the day, the simulator is a product. It's a big arcade game that may teach some valid lessons and may also introduce some misunderstandings, but if it's fun then it will get repeat business and that's the end goal. I hope people get something out of it. I just would not include it in my curriculum, preferring a more reality-based approach.
    There you have it. Force on force with well trained role players is a much better option.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List