Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 196: Jerk The Trigger

No overtime shots; I used a B8 center and counted anything outside the 7 as a miss:

Gun used G17 MOS, stock sights
    Points at 5 yards, number of overtime shots 50 -2x
    Points at 10 yards, number of overtime shots 48-2x
    Points at 15 yards, number of overtime shots 42
    Points at 25 yards, number of overtime shots 22
    Total number of points out of the possible 200 162

Observations: anything you noticed sometimes I shoot left under these conditions -- more often than I drive the shot low -- with a Glock.

Second run for fun:
    48-1x
    43-1x
    40-1x
    Total 164; more anticipation at 5, less at 25.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Gun used: M&P9 2.0, stock sights
    Points at 5 yards, number of overtime shots: 48, 3x
    Points at 10 yards, number of overtime shots: 48, 3x
    Points at 15 yards, number of overtime shots: 42
    Points at 25 yards, number of overtime shots: 17
    Total number of points out of the possible 200: 155
    Observations: anything you noticed:

Ran this drill after running DeFoor Test 2 and the GM Test, so I was a bit more dialed in. Still jerked the snot out of the trigger a couple times. At least I watched the front sight drop, which is better than not seeing it...

Being smooth and fast on the trigger is still elusive to me. Need to spend more time on this kind of drill.

I ran each of the last three DoW's with a G19, M&P2.0, and some with a G34. I found it much easier to press through the M&P trigger without jerking the sights down and left. The Glocks are all gen4 with dot connectors. The M&P2.0 trigger is lighter and has more roll by comparison. The larger trigger guard makes it a bit easier to keep my finger off of the frame when running the trigger is a hurry.

Pic. The holes to the left and right of the B8 and from a previous drill. The three holes WAY below the B8 are from jerking the trigger at 25 yards. Ouch.

Have been running this with my CZ 75 SP-01 and G17 SIRT in dry fire. Got to test it out on the CZ live fire today.

5 yds: 48-3X
    10 yds: 42-1X Terrible....
    15 yds: 48-0X
    25 yds: 33-0X

Total = 171-4X

Name:  DOTW 196 - first run.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  33.6 KB

Observations:
    -Got lazy at 10 yds after a decent 5 yds, and paid for it with low shots.

-Was not fully tracking my sights through the full arc, but consciously tried to pay attention to the moment the sights lifted, and was able to call some dropped shots. I will continue to practice seeking to see when the sights lift, then learn to track the entire front sight path.

-I feel like one thing that holds me back on quick shots on small targets is trigger/grip. I plan to do this drill a lot in live and dry fire to help lock in grip and improve trigger control.

-Was unhappy with my first showing at 25 yds, so ran it back twice. Improved to 35-1X and 41-0X, so stopped there. Will want to run this drill regularly over next few sessions I think.

Name:  DOTW 196 25 yds.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  27.2 KB

User Tag List