Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Full size gun for concealed carry?

Site Supporter
    Duty gun is a Gen4 G22. My EDC is a Gen4 G17 chopped to take 19 mags, although I carried a 17 for several years and would gladly do so again. Carried in a JMCK AIWB. A G43 in a DSG clip on is my gym shorts around the house gun, or in a JMCK Tuckable AIWB when my shirt is tucked in but i'm not wearing a jacket.

Lou Alessi PCH for a 5" 1911
    Or currently a George for a HK45C which is not a very small pistol. It all goes back to a good holster.

Carry what you can , but don't bitch out on the holster, and you might have to experiment a couple times to see what works for you.

And wardrobe, wardrobe, wardrobe, dress around the smoke wagon.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 12-23-2016 at 02:24 AM.

Work carry will not permit a full-sized pistol so I no longer fit your "all the time" criteria. However, I carry a G17 Gen 4 when in casual clothes and carry AIWB, currently in JRC's Watson Special. My normal casual dress is untucked button-down shirts (slim fit/fitted/etc. -- not baggy) and jeans so I find it pretty easy to conceal a G17.

Referencing your question of when something like a G26 comes into play, the main niche for me is when I need to wear lighter, tighter clothing. The G17 has just enough grip length to where, if printing is a serious concern, it's not doable in well-fitting t-shirts in summer when the weather decides to imitate a sweat lodge. However, there are are a few others. As stated by nyeti, my rule is to carry as much gun as the situation allows, and right now my life is varied enough to where that standard changes at various points of my day. If all I can get away with is a J-Frame in a bellyband and a Clinch Pick on a pocket shield, that's what I'll do. If I don't care about minor printing in the summer -- going shopping, hanging out in a crowd where I don't care if they know I carry, etc. -- the G17 will ride under a t-shirt if the weather dictates. If it absolutely cannot be seen and the dress is casual -- for example, certain social functions -- the G26 will get the nod, likely alongside a pocket carried J-Frame. I could alleviate almost all of this by simply buying bigger shirts but I prefer wearing clothes that fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I do wear aiwb in a suit as well. Standing still with my jacket open is no issue as the tie covers my belt buckle, and the jacket covers my hardware. A nice benefit of aiwb in a suit is that I can actually button my jacket like a man is supposed to, yet still draw just as easily as if it was open or under a polo.
    SLG, when you aiwb in a suit is the gun under your shirt also, or are you wearing it outside your dress shirt and clearing the jacket only?
    Last edited by scw2; 12-23-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Deleted
    Last edited by scw2; 12-23-2016 at 03:23 AM.

For hot weather, I found that the lightweight button up Columbia shirts designed for offshore fishing conceal pretty good, and keep one pretty cool besides

Site Supporter
    I carry the "company gun", a gen 4 G23 in a Glock sport combat polymer holster with one mag in a matching Glock mag pouch about 50% of the time. My old work G3 G22 does about 40% and the G27 about 10%.
    A loose polo or heavy pullover in cold weather hides them nicely. If a G17 or 22 was the issued gun, it would be carried more.

Glock G17

Site Supporter
    There are literally situations where I can't carry...but outside of those rare situations, I carry full size pistol all the time.

Beretta 92 IWB and J frame AIWB (no suspenders needed). It's going to be 82 on Christmas, so Columbia fishing shirts are always in style and blend in with every other dude. Dark polos work too. Since I've cut a few pounds I might try the 92 AIWB and pocket carry the J.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List