Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Full size gun for concealed carry?

Full size gun for concealed carry?

Something PSBT4117 struck me and I'm curious to see how this pans out.

I started my LE career with a G19, but as a civilian, I carried a 5" 1911 before that. After the G19, I was issued a Sig 228 then 229, then 229R. All mid size, compact guns. They shot like full size, but carried a little easier. With the Sigs in particular, I could never accurately determine if the 226 was better or the 229. The results were always so close. My next duty gun was a G22, 3rd gen. Not a fan favorite, but it worked for a year until I could upgrade to a 5" 1911 again. Stuck with that for a few years, then went back to the G22 for reasons related to long term and short term injuries in my hands and wrists. Went back to the 1911 again a couple years later when I was healed up. Carried that until about 2 years ago when I switched to a gen4 G22. Awesome gun. Then a year ago switched to a gen 4 G17. Awesomer gun.

I handle the G17 better than the G19, though the tested results are almost identical, much like the 229/226. Nonetheless, I much prefer the G17, and carry it by choice over everything else today (that I can choose from). I'm a small guy, and have never had difficulty concealing or carrying a full size gun. Well, not once the Shaggy and SME came along, now with the JM custom I can carry the G17 with a light on it as well, so win win.

Who here actually carries a full size pistol everyday? Not just in uniform, but concealed as well?

I see people mention things like G26's or G43's for "times when a full size won't conceal." What times are those? I carry my G17 all day, everyday (not including field uses, like hunting or woods bumming).

So, how many of you actually carry a full size for everything all the time?

SLG, what are you generally wearing with your 17? Would it be an imposition for you to show a torso shot with firearm covered and uncovered?

I love my 19 (and 26) but would not be averse to being wooed by a 17.

Thanks, brother.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Concealed I carry a Gen 4 Glock 17 every day. Putting a modicum of effort into wardrobe selection it's easy for me to carry a full sized handgun. I even manage to carry a spare 21 round mag AIWB.

Beretta M9, all the time.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I carried a 5" 1911 for years and a Beretta 92 before that. I carry a GEN 4 G22 or G17 all of the time currently. I am getting ready to move back to the 5" 1911.
    C Class shooter.

G17 Gen4
    #RESIST

I carry a Gen4 G17 everyday, everywhere. I work only in plainclothes and concealed unless doing an op/warrant service.

I am not a large person by any stretch of the imagination. I have an authorized G26 as well, but it only seems to see any attention on qual days.

Besides a recent several month span because of back-spine problems I carry the awesomer G17 every day, all day and a J in the left pocket.
    90% of the time concealed under a T or polo.

Happy to say I am back to the 17.

An important consideration in choosing a handgun, is whether being made can result in termination of your employment, a jail sentence or another very bad outcome. In AK, a USP 45 FS in an AIWB works just fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't carry a full-size because it doesn't fit my daily routine. I'm curious though SLG, do you think the 17 is easier to carry and conceal than the 1911 or 229 or is it a wash? Is it holster dependent? In other words is the 17 easier now because of the better designed holster compared to what you used early in your career? I'm also curious what your normal mode of dress is?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List