Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Full size gun for concealed carry?

Right now I'm carrying my issue M&P40/TLR off duty in a IWB. I have full size M&Ps of my own in 9 and 40. I almost always have one of those on. In summer I'll carry one IWB with an unbuttoned shirt over a T-shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G17 Gen 4 AIWB with a reload and a china pick when off duty and wearing pants. I don't feel like I have to make any particular effort to conceal effectively- some type of casual pant and an untucked t shirt or polo. I wear what I consider "normal" fitting clothes- so not fitted smedium shirts and skinny jeans, but not dressed like a slob either.
    I'm certain that body type or build can play a large role here: wide shoulders and some time in the gym allows most shirts to hang on me in a way that makes concealing a full size gun a non-issue. That being said, there are plenty of smaller framed folks out there carrying similar gear- and often quite a bit more, so I don't think you have to win the genetic lottery to pull it off.
    I think a lot of folks who carry smaller gats do so because it fits their perceived needs. Plenty of people are comfortable living the J frame- or G43 or shield or... lifestyle.
    This doesn't account for folks who work or travel frequently in a TRUE NPE environment- something DB touched on, and something I don't really encounter and am wholly unqualified to assess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    SLG, what are you generally wearing with your 17? Would it be an imposition for you to show a torso shot with firearm covered and uncovered?

I love my 19 (and 26) but would not be averse to being wooed by a 17.

Thanks, brother.
    Not an imposition, but maybe not terribly useful either. A photo of a guy standing still in 2 dimensions shows you nothing about his concealment, imo.

I generally wear a polo in the warmer weather and some kind of warmer top in colder weather. A fleece pullover or zip up for function, a nice merino or cashmere sweater for dressier casual. Lots of variations on those themes, but no button ups, as they don't work as well for me to draw from. Basically I always wear an untucked casual top with a solid hem. I do wear aiwb in a suit as well. Standing still with my jacket open is no issue as the tie covers my belt buckle, and the jacket covers my hardware. A nice benefit of aiwb in a suit is that I can actually button my jacket like a man is supposed to, yet still draw just as easily as if it was open or under a polo.

Some of my polos are a little looser and bigger than I would prefer, so I also have some really nice fitted ones that show off the guns. Mine, not Gaston's. :-) I think those are marginal concealment, but they still seem to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post

Is concealment more a function of holster type/placement (IWB vs AIWB), shirt type (button up vs polo), pattern on shirt (plaid vs solid color), simply a larger size, or what?

Thanks.
    Shirt length makes a difference as well. Given the same fit of a medium shirt on me, a shorter shirt will drape naturally over the gun, while a longer shirt will go past the gun then curve in towards my body, accenting the bulge where the gun is.

Beretta 92 AIWB for the past few month, under a polo shirt but it's sweatshirt weather now. In a t-shirt it concealed fine when I was still exercising; pushups/bench press helped a lot.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 12-23-2016 at 12:14 AM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Until recently a 5" 1911, now a Lightweight Commander. I have an AIWB holster on order for the Lwt Cmdr also.

M&P 45 or HK 45 ..... OWB leather holster.
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 12-23-2016 at 12:32 AM.

5" 1911, TT Gunleather XC Slim at 3 O' clock, spare mag at the 9-10 o'clock.

Holster makes the difference. I normally wear medium anything and can conceal that in a large black t-shirt. Regular fitting Button ups, polo's, sweaters etc, work great over a t shirt.

The key for me is the angle of the grip. I need 15degrees or more to not stick out when I bend over or reach for something. Even w/ a Glock 19, need 15degrees or more and spaced out belt loops, no loops directly next to the gun or they print in a t-shirt.

XDS in a JMCK AIWB works well in a tshirt.

Gotta get a XCslim for my G19 and give it a whirl. Love that holster.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    ...Who here actually carries a full size pistol everyday? Not just in uniform, but concealed as well?

I see people mention things like G26's or G43's for "times when a full size won't conceal." What times are those? I carry my G17 all day, everyday (not including field uses, like hunting or woods bumming).

So, how many of you actually carry a full size for everything all the time?
    1) In the words of Jeff Spicoli; Right here dude. On/off duty.

2) Something smaller in an NPE or similar circumstance where getting burned is a really, really bad thing.

3) I would prefer to carry a full size for everything all the time and fortunately I've been able to arrange things so the times I can't are few and far between however, the honest answer is I don't carry a full size for everything all the time. If I had to put a number on it though, I'd say I'm in the 95-98% of the time area.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Site Supporter
    Glock 35 IWB in a JM Custom Kydex IWB #3. Most days, khakis with a Columbia fishing shirt, but still wear the same rig in a suit or sport coat.

User Tag List