Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic 5 gun battery of handguns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ears are one reason I'm not as much a 357 fan as I may otherwise be. I'm positive if in a difficult situation Id be thinking of if I could get my ear plugs in. The larger caliber slower bullets aren't as sharp in the muzzle blast department.
    You're right, although the gun that was involved in the event that really damaged my left ear was a 4" .44Spl revolver (or it may have been a magnum shooting specials).

They all can be problematic in the right circumstances, though I recall from my stupid kid days, my first centerfire was a 357 Ruger SA, which I shot some without ear plugs. When I got a 44 and shot spls, it was MUCH easier on the ears. Even full power 44 mags wasn't as bad as the 357 in sharpness or how long my ears rang. The first shots I fired from a friend of my dads 4" 29 was a huge letdown, it only had spls in it. I was "WTF!!??" I felt cheated that the loads were so soft and easy to shoot and not much blast. I HAD to have a 4" 29 at some point after that though.

If I had to assign roles for a five-piece handgun battery in my safe: Belt gun, pocket gun, full-size "luxury" pistol, DA wheelgun, freespace

As it sits now:

Belt - USP compact, LEM, 40 cal. (Or my Glock 27 if I was going back to a striker)

Pocket - Glock 42

Full-size - A 92 series Beretta, which is a 96D in my current case. Or a forty caliber USP with tinkered fire control group.

DA wheelie - S&W model 10, 4", heavy barrel, round butt. A Ruger GP would also do me fine.

Freespace - Backup belt gun, cache pistol, plinker, curio? In my case, it would be my bobbed S&W model 36. My first handgun, made the year I was born, and a gift from my wife. Though a spare Glock like my 43, 23/32, or 19 to leave in a locked case off-property should the house burn down or whatever is likely a good idea. A rimfire plinker, spare USPc, or something one just wants to have around all also make sense.

For me, the battery ends up a little different.

1. S&W J frame
    Mine is a 637 with bobbed hammer and CT grips. I pocket carry about 90% of the time due to lifestyle and situation.
    2. Beretta 92
    Being former Military, it's the preferred full size service pistol for my wife and myself.
    3. Browning Buckmark
    Had both a Ruger MkIII and the Buckmark. We both preferred the Buckmark (although it needs a trip to the gunsmith after an OOB firing - oops)

4. & 5. Have yet to be determined. I need to find a Glock 19 sized pistol for carrying. Glocks are hardish to find (and can get expensive) plus there are mag issues here in Mass (I'm not paying $80+ for 20+ year old Glock mags). I've also had limited success with larger frame revolvers. Because of tendon issues in my thumbs, full size revolver cause me great pain (J frames aren't too bad but still hurt). The wife has declined the 1911...she hates SAO and the .45ACP in general...

Site Supporter
    I can't fault the reasoning. Each individual, of course, will apply it modified to their own needs, but the basic premise is sound.

1) S&W J-Frame. 642 is my current preference but a no-lock 340PD would suffice as well.
    2) Glock 17 or other full-sized belt gun in 9mm.
    3) Glock 26 or other subcompact version of whatever's in slot 2.
    4) 1911 in .45ACP. Thinking about a Colt Wiley Clapp Government in the near future.
    5) S&W DA revolver in .38SPL or .357MAG. Currently I've got a Model 10 HB.

I've got no use for an "outdoors" pistol or a rimfire pistol. Not that I'm much of a hunter but if I need to shoot small game with a pistol, the Model 10 with wadcutters ought to work for most of the cute little forest creatures around here.

These are my 5 essential handguns. Any gig I land will involve carrying a variant of these 5 so I need to be able to run them good enough that a couple days, (preferably weeks...), of work will get me up to more than good enough level if something comes up. Some form of J is in a pocket or on an ankle regardless of what's on my belt.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Four handguns presently...though I wouldn't mind a Browning Hi-Power or a Gov't Model Series 70 to round out the group.

Larger and smaller Glocks: 19 and 26 for EDC and because they simply work.

Larger and smaller S&W revolvers: 3" 686+ and 642 for niche carry, (cold weather, pocket carry, seasonal walks with the dog when feral critters might present a problem, mailbox runs), and fun at the range.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post

These are my 5 essential handguns. Any gig I land will involve carrying a variant of these 5 so I need to be able to run them good enough that a couple days, (preferably weeks...), of work will get me up to more than good enough level if something comes up. Some form of J is in a pocket or on an ankle regardless of what's on my belt.
    Paul...I'm a sad panda to see that the M&P is gone! But I agree with your assessment, and the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll play.

1. 6" SW 617 for rim fire, this is my favorite gun to shoot. I have a nice rig for it plus 2 reloads, one of these days I'll get nice grips and make it a worthy BBQ gun.

2. G19 duh

3. Snubby in 357 duh

4. 6" K frame in 357, share ammo with snubby and carry rig with 617

5. Wild card. Honestly, probably another g19 or 17
    Last edited by MDS; 12-22-2016 at 03:12 PM.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List