Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic 5 gun battery of handguns.

Basic 5 gun battery of handguns.

In the 1911 or Sig thread I mentioned a very basic battery of handguns thread I had done a few years back on another site. I figure it would not be a bad one to do here, as this place is FAR more switched on when it comes to pistol craft.

So here is my basic battey that I would be comfortable with covering my needs as a handgunner:

#1. A 9mm Glock (G19 or G17) though the 19 makes the most sense (for me). Hard to beat as a primary CCW piece, you can compete with it, and it would obviously work well in the home defense role as well. I literally could toss a coin between the G17 or 19 though, as I have never had any problem hiding a G17, and shoot one slightly better than the G19.

#2. A 1911 of high quality. While the G19 can do most of the same things, I would never want to be without a super accurate 1911.
    It can be used in various types of competition, makes a solid carry gun, Works very well in the small game hunting role, plus home and animal defense, etc. Shown is my well worn 1st gen Kimber, but these days I would definitely pick my Baer.

#3. A J Frame for pocket carry, and days that you don't feel like carrying a gun. These days there are a good number of guns that can work well as a pocket gun, like the G43, but a J Frame with Laser grips is hands down my favorite pocket/BUG. They are actually FAR more accurate than most believe or give them credit for. The CT grips make all the difference in the world though for shooting precisely, especially in low light.

#4. A large frame revolver like an N Frame in .44 magnum or .45 Colt. Again, there are now other platforms that can cover many of the things a large bore revolver does well, like a .460 Rowland on a 1911, or even the .45 Super in a HK, large frame Glock, 1911, or whatever. That said, a 5" N Frame is (in my opinion) one of the single most versatile handguns around, capable of taking virtually any land animal from Moose to rodents.

I very much prefer the .44 mag over the .45 Colt due to the fact that quite often the guns chambered in .45 Colt have throats of various sizes. They can be reamed out to correct this, but generally speaking that is a problem that is quite rare with .44 mag guns. I have owned numerous Model 25s, and a number of Ruger single actions, and almost all needed attention to get uniform throats.

However, the .45 Colt when properly reamed can cover the same "Mice to Moose" that a .44 mag does. I have a couple of single action .45s that are excellent shooters, but I have had far more that were not.

#5. A high quality .22, such as a Woodsman, Buckmark, MKII, etc, preferably threaded for a suppressor. These days an excellent Marvel conversion kit on a 1911 can easily fill this role, but I still prefer a trim little Woodsman/Huntsman for a rimfire trail gun. They make great trainers for introducing gun shy or apprehensive shooters to pistol shooting, and a high quality one will last generations. I know that each of my girls will receive their own .22 semi auto pistol when they reach the right age, and are on their own.

Since I originally took that picture, there have been numerous guns and products (like conversion kits) introduced that I could use, and modify the list, but the above picture represents a nice battery that would work great for me.

I am interested to hear what others would choose if limited to 5 handguns, or aspire to accumulate 5 guns for a battery.

I still don't even have 5 handguns total, let alone 5 different types. Although I am slowly but surely working on it.

I need to work on spares for my G19 and Shield first, but would love to have a 1911, DA revolver, and something like a Ruger 22/45.

Although with all the big bore revolver talk that I've seen lately, would it be better for someone with 0 revolvers to get something in .44mag/.45Colt first or something in .357mag?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Off the cuff, if I had to pick five handguns it would probably mirror you to an extent, LR.

G19, because duh.

Ruger Mk3 for general rimfire shits and giggles.

.44 Redhawk for the mountains.

Wilson CQB because I'm a free American.

M&P 340 because everybody needs a J frame.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    So here is my basic battey that I would be comfortable with covering my needs as a handgunner:

#1. A 9mm Glock...
    #2. A 1911 of high quality....
    #3. A J Frame for pocket carry...
    #4. A large frame revolver like an N Frame in .44 magnum or .45 Colt....
    #5. A high quality .22...

I am interested to hear what others would choose if limited to 5 handguns, or aspire to accumulate 5 guns for a battery.
    Great minds think alike.

1. Definitely a Glock 9 for carry. I like the Gen4 G19 with G17 mags for backup.
    2. As much as I love a good 1911, I rarely shoot mine any more and it's become a dedicated frame for a 22 conversion kit. I still like to have a 45 ACP semi-auto, but I'm much more likely to choose a HK USP 45 because I have neither the knowledge nor the inclination to become a proper 1911 plumber.
    3. I'd swap a G43 for the J-frame because it's easier to reload in a hurry. I learned to shoot a handgun on my father's pre-34, but my hands were small then, and nowdays J-frames are hard for me to shoot well. I have to add bulky grips that make them as big as a K-frame...
    4. An N-frame 44 is a must. Mine is a 4" Model 29-2 with a lot of sentimental value. If I had to replace it, I'd go with a 4" Model 629 that has the Endurance Package but not the lock. I'd use it for the purposes you mentioned, and for the purposes that you listed for the 1911.
    5. My dad's old Clark-customized Ruger 22 for the win on this one, but I could limp along with a late-40's vintage K-22.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

4" Smith 29 or 24, K-22, 4" Smith 19, J, g19. I could probably lose the g19 and have the Smith 19 fill in and be content, and add either of the Ns that weren't part of the former plan. Its hard to think of not having a single action 45. That could be a 44 spl if Colt was the name on the side. The g19 is not something I really use a lot on home ground, but away from home ground has more utility.

Site Supporter
    Your OP is pretty much where my head was about 10-12 years ago. Now, I'm happy having multiple 1911s chambered for 9mm. My Government and Lwt Commander models fill my HD and carry needs, although I do want to add a Rail Gun and mount a good light for HD in the near future.

Problems with my ears limit what I actually want to shoot nowadays, so owning a battery of handguns like you described is pretty much a thing of the past for me. My other firearms needs are met by my suppressed long guns.

I own three handguns and that's plenty for what I do. If I were you I'd ditch the revolver and .22 and pick up a spare for your primary. The other two are simply fun guns (for me).
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Ears are one reason I'm not as much a 357 fan as I may otherwise be. I'm positive if in a difficult situation Id be thinking of if I could get my ear plugs in. The larger caliber slower bullets aren't as sharp in the muzzle blast department.

Maybe not the ideal battery, but it works for me

1. G17, cut to take G19 mags. The glock (17 or 19) is really a no-brainer.

2. 1911. It would be hard to imagine life without a solid 1911. Easy to carry and easy to shoot.

3 1911. Similar to number 2. supplement with a quality 22LR conversion (i'm using a Kimber conversion kit)

4. S&W 642. A good J frame is like the glock, a no-brainer

5. S&W M66. shares ammo with the 642 and 357magnum is enough for me.

with this setup, it's like I get six handguns, some ammo redundancy and flexibility. I also prefer at least one of the 1911's to have adjustable sights. no matter if I'm shooting 185's or 230, I can get dialed in.

Amusingly, I happen to have five handguns: three Colt Delta Elites, a dedicated Marvel .22, and a dedicated Ace converted to the Marvel-style split slide.

I'd like to eventually have another Ace.

User Tag List