Thread: Staking

Staking

The question about staking came up in another thread. Rather than derail it, I thought I'd start another. I originally posted this in another forum.

I work on aircraft and my job that I take a variety of training courses to remain current with up to date techniques and get refreshers on others. On of the most recent refreshers I had to take was on staking and I thought I'd share some notes-

Staking must be done carefully to avoid damaging parts
    It's very easy to over-stake the endplate so that the endplate crushes into the threads of the RE. You want just enough material pushed into the castlenut slot to keep the nut from loosening from vibration. A little bit goes a long way. A couple of small stakes are better than crushing the endplate and damaging the threads of the RE. Over-staking the gas key can damage the bolt heads enough they'll shear which will FOD out your rifle with broken parts

The metal that is displaced must not separate from the parent material
    If you make the staking on either the endplate or the gas key too deep, the displace material will crack and won't hold anything in place. It's particularly important with the gas key for two reasons. First, the gas key is harder and more likely to crack than the endplate. Second, if the head of the screws are too small for the counterbore, staking deep enough to contact the heads of the screws will crack the displaced material. Make sure the heads of the screws are the right diameter before staking the gas key and don't over do it

The raised edges around the staking impressions must be of even height and there must not be any burrs sticking out
    When staking, try to position the tool to be "normal to the surface" or as close to 90* as practical. If the angle is off, the raised edge will be higher on one side than it is on the other. But don't over think it. Sometimes, the staking tool has to be angled a bit to push the displaced material in the direction it's needed to go.

The raised edges shouldn't have any burrs. Burrs are the result of staking too deeply, or from staking tools that are too sharp, pointy, rough or jagged such as a thin bladed screwdriver, nail, center punch with a point like a scribe or needle, or a tool with a tip that's deformed or broken. A burr is material that's ready to break away and reduces the effectiveness of the stake

Staking impressions may be of one of three shapes- Small circles, small rectangles or small rings
    Basically, this is to ensure the staking tool used leaves a clean, smooth, regular shaped stake. To leave a smooth, regular shaped stake, the tool must be smooth and regular shaped. The use of a jagged, broken or irregular end is not acceptable because it will damage the part. Proper staking tool for the end plate and gas key will have either a circular (round), or rectangular, end.

(Small ring staking is applied with a special staking tool that presses a ring around the perimeter of the part (such as a bearing) and won't be used on the endplate or the gas key. I included it because it was part of the course.)

I know many of you old pros know this stuff already, but the newcomer with a fistful of questions should find this handy. Use a smooth, clean staking tool, go easy, plan your work and you'll get a good stake every time
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Used small starter punch for a guide then followed with heavy punch. I thought it came out decent for my first time.

I would like to pick up a square punch that is used by Colt, it is definitely cleaner looking on my Colt assembled 6920.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post

Used small starter punch for a guide then followed with heavy punch. I thought it came out decent for my first time.

I would like to pick up a square punch that is used by Colt, it is definitely cleaner looking on my Colt assembled 6920.

I believe Colt does it with a press in a fixture. I've attempted to duplicate Colt staking with a modified/squared chisel as a punch and had not much success.

On the gas key, the material of the key (an issue with the cheaper manufacturers usually) matters just as much as the screws and the staking. Occasionally I've replaced the screws with proper ones and staked with my MOACKS only to have the key split at the stake due to inferior materials.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I need a MOACKS, very nice tool for the money.

AKA: SkyLine1

I found a random pic online showing the splits you'll see from a poor material key:
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List