Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best .38 Super factory load

I guess what I meant was it seems like there'd be more bullets designed to hold up at extreme velocities in the 124-125 grain than 147.

Mind you, this is coming from the same guy that every time I pick up my Glock 21 I think "wouldn't it be cool if this was a .38 Super...."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "...every time I pick up my Glock 21 I think "wouldn't it be cool if this was a .38 Super...."
    Especially if there were rockin' heavy bullet loads designed for the caliber: ~19rds of 147gr GDHP or HSTs tooling along at 1200fps? Dude, I would have a hard time not pitching practicality out the window and jumping on that with both feet, gun nerd flag flying.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

That's because it'd be like a semi-auto .357 Magnum that you could actually carry! Which is to say if Guncrafter industries would quit dicking around with that .50 GI and make a .38 Super Glock...they'd sell at least 2. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Which is to say if Guncrafter industries would quit dicking around with that .50 GI and make a .38 Super Glock...
    ...and one that works, please.

I recall reading about a G20 converted to 9X23mm, I think it was Chuck Karwan that did so and was carrying it.

At any rate, if my G23 can be made into a reliable 9para with a barrel switch, then perhaps a G20 can be made into a .38Super?

Anyway, on the original question, I'd go with the Cor Bon DPX as a carry load in the Super.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    At any rate, if my G23 can be made into a reliable 9para with a barrel switch, then perhaps a G20 can be made into a .38Super
    Dunno. Never really looked at the ejector geometry...

Check this out;

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...ic=50196&st=25

Scroll down to the G20/.38Super Open gun. Damn sexy looking.

I used to carry the Georgia Arms 147gr Gold Dot load. When they stopped making it, and other commercial sources seemed outrageously expensive, I loaded my own with the same bullet. I just ordered a batch from Buffalo Bore. It appears that they, too, use the Gold Dot bullet.

I tried the Cor-Bon 125gr DPX load, thinking it looked good on paper, but it would not feed reliably in my SVI single stack with a ramped barrel. About once per magazine, no matter what brand of magazine, the hollow point would catch on the lower edge of the ramp. Perhaps an unramped Colt, with its shallower feed angle, would handle them better.

Lincoln

P.S. I agree with the preference for high sectional density. One should note that a 147gr 9mm bullet has a slightly higher sectional density than a 230gr .45.

What about GL20, 29 in 9x25 Dillon ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    What about GL20, 29 in 9x25 Dillon ?
    I used to be a huge fangirl of 9x25, and when Mike started loading it commercially, I ordered a bunch, fully intending to convert my Colt DE.

As time's gone by, though, I realized that there just aren't any .355" bullets designed to work at those velocities. Unless I get pretty convincing evidence otherwise, I can't believe that a 115gr bullet driven at three or four hundred fps over its design velocity envelope isn't going to leave a wound profile that looks like the world's worst hickey.

User Tag List