Thread: Bill Davis work

Bill Davis work

Revolver gurus, is there a way to tell if Bill Davis worked on a non-PPC revolver? Just bought a Model 66-1 that belonged to my boss. It was his duty gun back in the day, and he bought it from another LEO who supposedly had Bill Davis (or at least his shop), tune up the action a little. It definitely has a nice trigger, but otherwise is pretty much a normal 66 from what I can tell. Just curious if there was a way to confirm Bill Davis actually worked on the gun.

Not of which I am aware. I had Bill Davis clean up the action, install a black rear sight blade, and install a crane lock on my 66-1 in 1992, and there are no markings externally to indicate that the work was done.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I guess "the proof is in the pudding". The trigger on this gun is killer.

For a long time, Kerry Freeman was Bill's main S&W foreman. He knew how to do complete bull guns, as good as any of the other top mechanics in the business. The Davis Grade 3 PPC revolver, on an M-64, that he built for me in the mid-80s was what I won just about everything I did with, up to including when I hit the High Master NRA 1490 Club.

But Lex is correct... unless it was a complete Davis Grade (one through five) like mine, I never saw any markings/identification on the guns they worked on. Kerry also did a simply spectacular action on my Distinguished Match M-686. Those guns had to be almost totally "factory", except for triggers and certain stocks.

Bill's shop was among the best, especially after Kerry got established there.

No idea if Kerry is even around now, but since Bill died Kerry would probably be the best guy to know if your piece was done by them.

Thanks for the intel. I am kinda new to the revolver game, and there aren't that many people around my area that are into wheel guns enough to know all the history behind the good shops, etc. that used to be around. Name:  IMG_8387.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  99.4 KB
    Last edited by 167; 12-22-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    For a long time, Kerry Freeman was Bill's main S&W foreman. He knew how to do complete bull guns, as good as any of the other top mechanics in the business. The Davis Grade 3 PPC revolver, on an M-64, that he built for me in the mid-80s was what I won just about everything I did with, up to including when I hit the High Master NRA 1490 Club.

But Lex is correct... unless it was a complete Davis Grade (one through five) like mine, I never saw any markings/identification on the guns they worked on. Kerry also did a simply spectacular action on my Distinguished Match M-686. Those guns had to be almost totally "factory", except for triggers and certain stocks.

Bill's shop was among the best, especially after Kerry got established there.

No idea if Kerry is even around now, but since Bill died Kerry would probably be the best guy to know if your piece was done by them.

I have a Model 67 that Kerry did for me when we both worked at Cheshire & Perez. It is the most outstanding DA action I've ever owned. I consider myself lucky to have worked with him and Danny Woo.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List