Thread: Police struggle with background checks for foreign students

Police struggle with background checks for foreign students

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) — West Lafayette police have been grappling with how to conduct background checks on foreign college students who apply for handgun licenses in Indiana. State regulations on handguns don't specifically address people from foreign countries, forcing West Lafayette police and other local agencies to rely on limited local, state and national criminal background checks, the Lafayette Journal & Courier (http://on.jconline.com/2h2EKJF ) reported. Indiana State Police asked the West Lafayette Police Department this summer to loosen its approach in issuing handgun licenses to international students after one student was denied a license. The city is home to Purdue University, which has about 10,000 international students. West Lafayette Police Chief Jason Dombkowski said his department has been hyper vigilant because international students' criminal backgrounds outside the U.S. are unknown.
    http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/e...r-10807046.php

Canada requires a "letter of good conduct issued by your local or state police" from the non-resident and new resident applicant for a firearms license (e.g.: see RCMP form 5592e, instruction page 2 of 4).
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5592-eng.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) — West Lafayette police have been grappling with how to conduct background checks on foreign college students who apply for handgun licenses in Indiana. State regulations on handguns don't specifically address people from foreign countries, forcing West Lafayette police and other local agencies to rely on limited local, state and national criminal background checks, the Lafayette Journal & Courier (http://on.jconline.com/2h2EKJF ) reported. Indiana State Police asked the West Lafayette Police Department this summer to loosen its approach in issuing handgun licenses to international students after one student was denied a license. The city is home to Purdue University, which has about 10,000 international students. West Lafayette Police Chief Jason Dombkowski said his department has been hyper vigilant because international students' criminal backgrounds outside the U.S. are unknown.
    http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/e...r-10807046.php
    I do not believe it would be "out of bounds" to require foreign nationals to supply some sort of criminal background check from a home country certified as authentic along with a translation approved by an embassy/consulate from that country.

Site Supporter
    Interesting. Foreign nationals = not US citizens, right? Why would we issue firearms licenses to non-US citizens. I am so naïve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I do not believe it would be "out of bounds" to require foreign nationals to supply some sort of criminal background check from a home country certified as authentic along with a translation approved by an embassy/consulate from that country.
    Depending on the visa, that may already have been done by State and/or DHS. My wife had to obtain and submit the document that @Wendell referenced (she's Canadian) as part of her visa processing.

@ranger - IIRC, the issue has been challenged at some level in court (I'm hesitant to speak specifics w/o the citation in front of me, and IANAL so take with a grain of salt). At least one court has found that restricting 2A to citizens only (as opposed to legal residents) was unconstitutional. I guess my view on it is why would we restrict them? That which is not expressly prohibited is permitted.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Interesting. Foreign nationals = not US citizens, right? Why would we issue firearms licenses to non-US citizens. I am so naïve.
    Carry licenses are a state issue.

Federally, Legal Permanent Residents (aka Green Card Holders) can purchase and possess firearms under the same conditions as U.S. Citizens.

Non Immigrants within legal status can generally possess firearms as long as they posses a valid U.S. Hunting License and otherwise meet criminal and mental health requirements for firearms possession.

The U.S. State Department conducts local criminal background checks on non immigrant visa applicants as part of the visa screening process. What foreign governments choose share with the U.S. as part of that process is going to vary from country to country.

User Tag List