Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old School Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I got a m1. Just a Springfield. My heavy hitter. This is my second one cause I shoulda never let the first one go. I did shoot a deer with my first m1. The deer was drt. Back in the day that m1 was the Big gun in the department. I had a shoulder bag full of clipped ammo. Ya'know in case someone needed to be pinned down or to chew thru some cover. I always wanted a bayonet for it, ya'know reasons. I don't care that the m1 is old, they are cool. Them dudes in ww2 were tuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pulling out an M1 today as an LEO would surely raise some eyebrows of the other cops, bystanders and bad guys!

I would love to see the look on a crook's face when you took them down with one in your hands. It would be even funnier with a bayonet attached.

I got a CMP Garand because I could. I devote way too little time to rifles, and always feel like I need to work with the AR when I do. I should oil the old girl up and take her dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Sigh. Every time I see a Garand post I kick myself in the ass. I had a sweet low digit serial number garand years ago. And I sold it to help by a car I really didn't need. Need another one.
    I think I would correct that problem ASAP, as they are certainly not going to get cheaper.

Near as can tell, based on the interwebs, the last ones made by the government (aside from the short run of M1s made commercially in the late ? 1980s?. I remember the advertisements but really cannot recall the time period.) was 1957, so we are fast approaching 60 years ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Pulling out an M1 today as an LEO would surely raise some eyebrows of the other cops, bystanders and bad guys!

I would love to see the look on a crook's face when you took them down with one in your hands. It would be even funnier with a bayonet attached.
    The m1 was never an "authorized" weapon. It was one of those, well.... it went like this.

Higher ranking officer: "you got that big rifle handy, don'tcha? ya'know, just in case?"

Me: "yessir"

The bayonet, I always thought fixing bayonets would be a good crowd control technique. I know it was always good for a roll of the eyes from command staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bayonets would certainly help cool peoples jets when it comes to crowds.

An afixed bayonet is a good way to get your point across
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-26-2016 at 04:17 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    An afixed bayonet is a good way to get your point across

I too got a Garand from the CMP. Figured it would be a novelty. Quickly realized that it was a damn fine rifle and I would not hesitate to stake my life on it of I had too. Not many 60 year old mechanical devices I can say that about.

I've got two from the CMP, both made in 1945, one in March, the other in June, both have the original barrels, The rifle made in June I suspect was used in Korea, it had a open box SA rebuild stamp,(early 50's) and the barrel has some pitting in the grooves, With a the original lockbars, and a uncut op-rod, it's a good example of a WWII rifle. The rifle made in March has the op-rod cut, and the lockbar rear sights were replaced, (as this was standard practice for rebuilding rifles with lockbars still on them, post WWII) But the barrel shows/gages little actual wear. The Parkerizing is almost perfect. Both are great shooters, and in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, The M1, IMO, is still a formidable weapon. I've personally made 300yd shots with open sights on steel with it, it was surprisingly easy.

Site Supporter
    Sigh, what memories. The M1 was the first military rifle I ever fired. All of us were conditioned to expect ALL rifles to run when they were loaded up with sand, dirt, snow, whatever crud there was. The reality was different. Fortunately for me, the slide into the AR "won't-fire-unless-it's-spotless" abyss was gradual because the very next rifle I shot was the M14. As much as I loved the M1, I preferred the M14. It just seemed to "fit" me better. I've always known both would make great deer rifles, but never had the chance to try them. This is a great thread - please keep it going, guys.
    Last edited by 11B10; 12-28-2016 at 10:40 AM.

User Tag List