Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old School Cool!

Old School Cool!

It has been a long time since I took my M1 Garand out.

Today I mounted a scope for a Doc friend, who I assume is giving the new rifle (a 30-30 Marlin) to one of his kids. I figured while I was out there, I would shoot 2 clips of some soft point ammo I had loaded up for the M1, just to see if it would function.

It ran the loads like a top, and I had forgotten how FUN it is to shoot an old iron sighted Garand. Mine is an old CMP Garand that I traded into (Traded a J Frame 642) back in the late 90s/or maybe 2000, I can't recall. I forgot how much fun it is to here the "PING!" when the clip ejects.

The thing that really stuck in my mind is that I have never taken a large game animal with this rifle, and I really should. Another thing that crossed my mind is that while the M1 Garand is very dated, it would still make a formidable self defense rifle if you didn't have your regular M4 close at hand.

Any other Garand shooters here?

I unintentionally tested the rifle's ability to run with debris in the action. I was sticking the first 8 round clip in and did not do it right, and had the whole clip pop out and land in the mud. I grabbed some snow and used the snow to wipe off the big chunks before I stuck it in the old warhorse. It did not even hiccup.

I love mine. It is a re import, I believe, but it seems to be all original, and in excellent shape. It was gifted to me by a friend after an overseas deployment some years ago. I don't shoot it enough, but coincidentally, I just got some "Garand safe" 30-06 delivered. :-) After deer season I'll have to heat her up, thanks for the kick in the ***.

Site Supporter
    Another Garand owner/occasional shooter here.
    I got my 1941 Winchester Garand from the DCM in the late '80s. It was rebuilt by Springfield Armory in January, 1965 and put into storage until I got it.
    That "ping" after the eighth round is distinctive. My son enjoys this rifle as much and maybe more than me. It will be his when I am gone.

I've never owned one, but one of my happier shooting memories is busting bowling pins at 100 yards with simply rugged/Rob Leahy's Garand.

Oh yeah........

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

I really need an M1. I do have a neat Inland carbine that was a lend/lease to Israel and has the name of the person it was issued to over there written on the butt plate.

Used a "Blue Sky" imported Garand that I bought from the sporting
    goods department at Woolworths to shoot NRA Highpower matches in the '80s and
    early '90s. Shot very well. Better than I did.

It looks like it went through three wars and, since it was made
    in 1943 went through at least two. I thought about a new stock
    but decided to leave it as it came back from Korea.

Lots of fun. Last time I shot it my son was hitting around a
    milk jug we'd set out at 100 yards. I watched the proceedings
    for a while and then said, "Give me that."
    The milk jug was holed in short order proving that all the time
    I spent dry firing in standing back in my Highpower days wasn't
    wasted.

Too much snow to take mine out now, but if spring comes next year
    I will go to the range with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I really need an M1. I do have a neat Inland carbine that was a lend/lease to Israel and has the name of the person it was issued to over there written on the butt plate.
    I like stuff like that.

I'd love to find out who carried the Garand and get to know some history of the person's exploits during the war.

I got a m1. Just a Springfield. My heavy hitter. This is my second one cause I shoulda never let the first one go. I did shoot a deer with my first m1. The deer was drt. Back in the day that m1 was the Big gun in the department. I had a shoulder bag full of clipped ammo. Ya'know in case someone needed to be pinned down or to chew thru some cover. I always wanted a bayonet for it, ya'know reasons. I don't care that the m1 is old, they are cool. Them dudes in ww2 were tuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sigh. Every time I see a Garand post I kick myself in the ass. I had a sweet low digit serial number garand years ago. And I sold it to help by a car I really didn't need. Need another one.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List