Thread: How have the 38 Special only LCR's worked out?

How have the 38 Special only LCR's worked out?

I've dug through some older posts and noticed that there were some concerns early on about the durability of the aluminum framed 38 Special models. The reason I ask is that I was talking to my cousins husband this morning and he told me my cousin wanted a Glock for her ccw , (in Tiffany Blue! but you'd have to know her), and that he was thinking about selling the LCR he had bought her. It's a 38 only model and all I'd be interested in shooting through it would most likely be wadcutters since that's where I find myself with my J Frame now. I like the trigger on the ones I've used and the weight on the 38 model is pretty nice and if I switched grips to the boot grip it would even be a little nicer. I also like the ability to mount a XS sight on it.
    Anyway, if it's in decent shape and the price is right I might move on it but I was curious about the longevity of the aluminum frames so where better to ask than here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea on longevity, but I'd want to verify POA v POI before plunking down cash. There's been some issues with .38 LCR sight regulation.

What Sidheshooter said...

I have one, and I'm happy with it. After fiddling around with several different sets of stocks for it (Eagle SS, Hogue Boot, and Hogue monogrip) I've gone back to the OEM Hogue finger groove jobber.

The regular sights aren't bad at all, and mine shoots wadcutters and Gold Dots right to the POA. I carry it in a Dark Star Gear clip on holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    What Sidheshooter said...

I have one, and I'm happy with it.
    Interesting. I had you figured for a hard-core S&W guy. Your anti-TSA marking on your 642's back strap is excellent.

How have the 38 Special only LCR's worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Interesting. I had you figured for a hard-core S&W guy. Your anti-TSA marking on your 642's back strap is excellent.

Thank you Sir. I am a diehard Smith fan, but the LCR has been a pet project. It's an interesting concept, but I am a big believer of metal and wood.

https://revolverscience.com/tag/ruger-lcr/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/revolve...ryptonite/amp/

Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 12-22-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Mine has been fine. I've roughly 500 rounds through it, mostly standard pressure 158's and a few Gold Dots. I've had no issues thus far and it get's carried daily. Mine has the XS Big Dot and a set of the factory boot grips. As far as accuracy goes, it's acceptable. I can keep most of my hits in the -0 ring of an IDPA target at 20 yards.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Mine was good to go. Could bang 10" plates out to 35 yards no problem just aiming at the center of the plate. Mine had the crappy sights. If I get another one it'll have the batter sights.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Thank you Sir. I am a diehard Smith fan, but the LCR has been a pet project. It's an interesting concept, but I am a big believer of metal and wood.

https://revolverscience.com/tag/ruger-lcr/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/revolve...ryptonite/amp/

I am in the same boat as the good doctor. I do not dislike my LCR. I have the .38 and it is a solid, functional, disposable feeling snub. I would have no issue recommending them as a good snub. I love my Bowen Sp101....I like the LCR, and it gave good service for the six months or so I carried it as a BUG. If anyone is looking for a .38 LCR with an XS sight, Desbiens AIWB and a .22 Magnum companion.....let me know, package deal available.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I've been BUG EDCing a 38 LCR for over 6 years now & I never get homesick for my 342s. After trying about every grip & sight that's been done on them, I ended up with the Hogue G10 grips & a Novak front sight. Its seen lots of 135 Gold Dots & 110 CorBon without a whimper. I always tell customers that the LCR normally comes out of the box that you're going to pay me to do on the J frame.

Site Supporter
    Mine has held up very well. Keep it in my left hand pants pocket on duty as a back up. Mine has the smaller grip and XS sight, and I am able to get good hits at 25 yards with it. The hi viz sight that is available is also pretty good and POA/POI with 135 grain gold dot short barrels, but I prefer the XS as it is also POA/POI with the gold dots and provides light in total darkness. The trigger on the LCR to me feels much better than the S&W 442 I own.

User Tag List