Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing .380 ammo types a viable option?

Mixing .380 ammo types a viable option?

So, I've been reading about how a .380 will 'get you kilt on the streetz' because you either need to fire hardball for penetration with no expansion, or else hollow points for expansion with no penetration.

Would a mix of alternating .380 hardball (or wadcutter, flat nose, etc.) with hollow point rounds in the magazine of a small .380 be a way to ensure lethality from that caliber? You would have to practice firing controlled pairs...

I've been pocket carrying a j-frame regularly and feel good about the .38 spcl bullet effectiveness, but with only five rounds in the gun and five on a speedstrip I would feel under gunned if having to deal with more than one or two threats. A pocket .380 with 6+1 or 7+1 capacity might make me feel a little better, but factoring in a controlled pair for each threat would bring me about back to where I started with the j-frame.

I could start carrying one of my 9mm pistols, but that would triple the weight and force me to change my style of dress. I guess I could buy a smaller 9mm and learn a new manual of arms...

I'd appreciate hearing the opinions of the forum members on mixing .380 ammo types in a small pistol as a way to increase lethality of that caliber.

I would just stick with one choice. Most .380 JHP under penetrates, even loads from manufacturers that are normally good to go. It's a compromise caliber, so you'll have to make compromises. Me personally I'd go with JHP and risk under penetration, because JHP is less likely to skip off a bone.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'd stick with the j frame.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'd stick with the j frame.
    This is the correct answer.

Glock 43.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Shield 9mm

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Glock 43.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasage View Post
    Shield 9mm
    Might as well round out the suggestions with the other viable choice in that caliber/form factor:

Walther PPS or PPS M2

Quote Originally Posted by 37th Mass View Post
    Mixing .380 ammo types a viable option?
    No.

1) .380 Auto hollow points already tend to expand poorly or inconsistently - especially after clothing or when fired from micro pistols - thereby essentially giving occasional FMJ-like performance.

2) Hard barriers such as car doors and windshields are challenging for .380 even with full metal jacketed bullets.

3) Getting even one solid hit per assailant may be difficult in an actual gunfight.

4) Mixing ammo in the same magazine can increase the chance of malfunction in some pistols.

5) Ammo performance is only one of many concerns with small .380 automatics.

Service calibers only sir......if you are serious about actually stopping a human threat in a timely manner. .38spl, 9mm, .40, .357sig, .357mag, .45acp.....etc. There are many options for those, and you will likely find a sweet spot.

Site Supporter
    There aren't any magic lethal bullets - http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ide-gun-range/

Horrible. Also, to be legally PC in the gun world, asking on the internet about assuring lethality isn't the wisest idea.

User Tag List