View Poll Results: Do you own / purchase duplicates of your most carried pistols?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

164 82.00%
  • No

33 16.50%
  • Never considered it previously.

3 1.50%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Owning Duplicates Of Your Carry Pistols

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Duplicate rifle.

As far as pistols, not an exact duplicate, but multiple iterations of the same basic gun. Classic P-series Sigs in various calibers, all with plenty o' magazines and cartridges.

"Three of whatever I'm carrying. One vetted for carry/work. One used for training, practice and competition. One tested then put away to be used as a spare for the carry/work pistol should something happen and it goes down or is taken."
    Very much this!
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Vending Machine Operator
    I guess the reason I don't fully understand the "spare in case something happens" is that you can order a gun and have it like 3 days later. Hell, if it's something common like a Glock you can probably buy another one that day at a local shop. On the (very long) odds you are in an incident that destroys or confiscates your carry gun, why not just buy another one then and carry something else from your safe for 2-3 days?

Mostly I don't keep spares simply because I'm a pretty low-count shooter. My training gun can be my carry gun too. I just don't put my pistols through nearly enough rounds to wear them out.

Hopefully one day. That's the dream.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 12-20-2016 at 08:58 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Owning Duplicates Of Your Carry Pistols

I have a spare with me at the range or in a class. I'd rather not stop what I'm trying to accomplish just because of a mechanical issue.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 12-20-2016 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Well, you can always have two training guns...one dryfire gun and one live gun.
    Yes, that is what I do. Game only guns are duplicated, live and dry / spare. Carry are triplicates, carry, live fire, and dry fire guns.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

As a broke college student, I only have one P2000. I don't have the funds to buy one or two more copies of the same pistol, so I just make sure to have at least 2 spares of each of the common wear items.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I guess the reason I don't fully understand the "spare in case something happens" is that you can order a gun and have it like 3 days later. Hell, if it's something common like a Glock you can probably buy another one that day at a local shop. On the (very long) odds you are in an incident that destroys or confiscates your carry gun, why not just buy another one then and carry something else from your safe for 2-3 days?

Mostly I don't keep spares simply because I'm a pretty low-count shooter. My training gun can be my carry gun too. I just don't put my pistols through nearly enough rounds to wear them out.

Hopefully one day. That's the dream.
    Im not the most high speed guy around, but, my take on "why spares", if involved in a situation and your carry gun is taken for evidence, the colleagues of the individual you disrespected may be interested in discussing the situation with you. It may be advisable to be armed at that moment. That moment may be after they follow you home from the disrespecting event and you were unaware of being followed. Buying a gun at night may not be practical. If theres a period of unrest, and you are assaulted and disarmed by the miscreants, gun shops may be closed by order of whoever orders such things until things cool off. There may be an issue with getting a pass on a background check if you are technically under investigation until the situation is settled. Your gun may be stolen. Your gun may be lost (natural disaster?). You may find yourself in a situation where somebody else you know and trust needs to be armed very badly right away. Guns break. Guns and ammo can be hard to get for market reasons, or at insanely inflated prices, even if temporarily.

How am I doing so far?

I may not have exact duplicates (not that I wouldn't like to), but have something that can fill in if need be. I still remember how to shoot a 1911 and a revolver. In real life for me, revolvers get much more use and carry, so its not a huge jump in familiarity.
    Last edited by Malamute; 12-20-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Between my wife and I we have four Glock 19s and two Glock 26s (all SCD equipped, thanks Tom!). We each treat one as our individual training pistol, one as our individual carry pistol, and one as our individual backups. If something goes down with one pistol we still have four between the two of us with magazine and holster commonality. I think we're covered.

One 5" Wilson 1911 as my duty weapon, one 5" Wilson 1911 in my SWAT call out bag, one 4" Wilson 1911 for off duty and one 4" Wilson as a spare/back up. Plus 2 J frames one for daily use on for a spare. And my lady wonders "Why do you need so many of the same gun?"

JW

P30 v3 x 3
    P30 v1 x 2
    P2000 v2 x 2
    P2000sk v2 x 1
    45c v1 x 1

HK, because I suck and they hate me.

Hypothetically speaking and / or lost in the boating accident of 2016.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List