Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any reason not to switch to vp9 from glock

Site Supporter
    The mag release will take some getting used to...Not a deal breaker by any means, but when I shot a VP9 alongside my Glock, the difference in performance wasn't there.

A question:. What metrics do you use to define "better"? 25 yard slow fire? 25 yard Bill Drills? 7 yard Bill Drills? El Prez scores? Considerably higher hit factors on USPSA classifiers?

Ergonomics are no contest, a VP9 will be more comfortable, possibly more accurate, but is gunhandling equal or better? Reloads, draws, transitions all equal or better?

I've started to fall very heavily into the "one platform for all serious things" camp and be okay with the occasional "fun gun" or "utilitarian gun" (such as a hunting arm). If you're already a very high level shooter it may not matter...If you are not, it may retard your growth. Switching guns should be carefully done.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    As Spinmove_ said the magazines for the VP9 are more expensive, but are well made. There's a saying on other forums something to the effect "In a world full of spare parts Glocks, In a world without spare parts HK".

True, until they go under water. My house took on 36" of water in August (No Flood Insurance) with a large amount of firearm related products being under water for days. All the loaded Glock magazines worked and None of the VP 9 magazines worked when removed from the water. I then cleaned all the magazines and tried them again with All Glock magazines working 100% and several of the VP 9 magazines failing to feed. All the Glock magazines had a few rust spots and All the VP 9 magazines have very rusty springs as well as a few rust spots on the magazines.
    I am considering asking HK if they could possibly replace the VP 9 magazines under warranty.

Hammertime
    I agree with most posts here. I will add: VP9 has a fully cocked striker. Glock does not, if that matters to you. I doubt you will shoot one or the other significantly better. I know I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Strong endorsement, FPS. I may have to take my dealer up on his offer to borrow one of his and try it out. But then, do I really want to? Only trouble lies down that road.
    I totally agree about what lies down those roads. Generally I refuse when people offer; "Would you like to try this"? Not traveling those roads has saved me quite a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I totally agree about what lies down those roads. Generally I refuse when people offer; "Would you like to try this"? Not traveling those roads has saved me quite a few bucks.
    You and me both.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I will switch from Glock to VP9 as soon as there is a VP9 Gadget, and VP43, VP26, VP19 and VP34 are available, and I can replace every part myself, and I can play with different internal setups as I wish, and I am not limited to a VP40 recoil spring in a 9mm pistol that's already oversprung, and I can feed any ammo without concerns for factory warranty and reliability, and GJM tells me that dropping a mag in a dust won't cause a failure to return into a battery. 'Cause otherwise I like VP9; seems like easier to press the trigger straight back than on a Glock.

The best reason I can think of for you to stay with the Glocks; is, The Gadget, if everything else about them suits your needs.
    Why do you carry the 43 way more often than the 19? If it is because of size then the VP9 and PPQ are larger. I think most will agree both the VP9 and PPQ have better triggers and far less BTF issues than the G19. The perfect gun for me would probably be a PPQ with Pro idots and a gadget, but that;s like a Unicorn.

You really can't go wrong with any of the three, they are all fine firearms I think it boils down to personal preference. I would buy 2 of what I carry and train the most with that.

The Glock will always have an edge in part and aftermarket support by a huge margin.

That being said, when I get done shooting a G19 I feel like I just used an old Crescent wrench but the VP9 is like driving a German car...very smooth and relaxing to shoot.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Vp9 sucked in Military Arms Channel tests. Repeatedly. It also doesn't have a gadget.

Why do people still run Glocks when there's SIGs,HKs and Berretas available. What's the appeal.. just don't get it myself and yet I carry a Glock. Don't we end up paying the same amount by the time we done with sights, trigger bits etc. as we would have for an HK.

User Tag List