Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Any reason not to switch to vp9 from glock

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I carry a Glock 17 for work. It is my tool of choice off the list of approved weapons. The VP9 and P30 are not on the list. IF they were on the list, I'd transition in a heartbeat. Had a chance to shoot a VP9 at work alongside the G17. The ergonomics of the VP9 make you realize all you are missing when using a G17, 19 or any other Gaston creation.

If you have a choice to carry what you want, I'd carry the HK.
    Not that I'm buying one but does the VP9 come with different grip options? The swell felt a bit extreme to me given my years with a Glock. On the other hand, the Walther PPQ didn't feel as "foreign". I'm not sure if that is something I would adjust to if it couldn't be modified simply.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The VP9 comes with backstrap and palm swell changes in 3 sizes. I still like the PPQ grip a bit better (could use better texture but that shape is incredible).

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    The VP9 comes with backstrap and palm swell changes in 3 sizes. I still like the PPQ grip a bit better (could use better texture but that shape is incredible).
    Thank you.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Not that I'm buying one but does the VP9 come with different grip options? The swell felt a bit extreme to me given my years with a Glock. On the other hand, the Walther PPQ didn't feel as "foreign". I'm not sure if that is something I would adjust to if it couldn't be modified simply.
    It does have different grip panels but they don't quite do the same things that the Glock ones do. the trigger reach does not change in the HK as the backstrap just pushes your palm further out only and no changes where the web of your hand would meet the tang. It's a bit of a weird feeling.

When I got my VP9, I didn't like the medium backstrap as it felt as if it was digging into my palm and kept my hand lower on the gun. I put the large one on (I have large hands) and it was better in terms of feel but still made me feel low on the gun. I finally went with the small backstrap and things went much better all around. Still, the ergos don't work for me quite as well as those of a Glock, so that's what I stay with.

The PPQ I coonfingered at the LGS felt slippery but fit my hand better.

It's an individual thing.

I'm running both Glocks and HKs-Glock G17/19/21/22/34, and HK VP40 and P30L V1 (light LEM). I go into the HKs as a .40 cal thing, and as comparison pieces to to Gen4 G22.

Both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages. While the HKs are certainly more "tailorable," the Glocks are not a hardship to adjust and adapt to, although for me the hardest relatively speaking is with my large-frame Gen3 G21.

While HKs have arguably higher component and finish quality, Glock's are certainly more than adequate, and most have stood the vigors of use and service quite well.

I would counsel going with whichever one you index and shoot best with. One caveat-the VP triggerpull is both light and short (and with a short, crisp discernible reset point), which is superb for pure shootability, but may be a concern to an extent for threat management situations. In that respect, Glock triggerpull characteristics are more tuneable as appropriate for your use, with both a plethora of OEM and after-market components.

Alternatively, HK has several LEM trigger options for their hammer-fired guns, which can provide a light, consistant triggerpull, but with a greater triggerpull distance and a "wall" at the trigger break point.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 12-21-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Why do people still run Glocks when there's SIGs,HKs and Berretas available. What's the appeal.. just don't get it myself and yet I carry a Glock. Don't we end up paying the same amount by the time we done with sights, trigger bits etc. as we would have for an HK.
    All gear innovations start with Glock and may trickle down to other models.

Sights are the biggest issue for me.
    Sight options for Glock: Dozens. Hundreds if you start mixing and matching.
    Sight options for anything else are very limited. a couple here and there. HK LEM, for instance, I can do Meps, HD's, Dawsons and a couple others.

Other gear, like holsters, are no longer a limitation with all the custom builders, like JMCK, DSG and JRC.

My answer: cheaper mags, more platforms (26/19/17/34), aftermarket parts/holsters/sights, can fix yourself, 33 rd mags, good CS too, IME.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachained View Post
    This was my experience. Also the G19 is far easier to conceal with my body type and lighter too.
    This is a great picture. I've never been sure why a VP9 (and I own one) is compared to a G19, in terms of size. This shot shows it perfectly. As I've learned in my scant two-years experience in firearms, for me, the butt length and weight of the pistol is much, much more high on my list of dimensional attributes than it was when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    I'd highly recommend that you check out a PPS M2. To me, the M2 shoots and handles bigger than it is, where the G43 shoots and feels like a small gun.
    This was very similar to my experience. The PPS M2 is a fantastic shooter, comfortable, reliable and accurate. The only reason I sold mine was that mag capacity (6/7/8) was kind of low, relative to the weight of the pistol, for carry. But I really did like it a lot.

The rental G43 I shot just felt really really squirmy.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-21-2016 at 02:09 PM.

User Tag List