Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on J frames

School me on J frames

Specifically for the 642/442.

I have been following along in the J frame thread and picked up some nuggets of info, but not sure if I missed or mis-remembered anything regarding how to set up these for BUG or rule 1 carry. So far is what I've gathered below, but would greatly appreciate any corrections or recommendations. Also not sure what I'm missing so if I overlooked anything would appreciate it. Obviously a BUG or revolver class would need to be on here as well, but primarily focusing on the hardware issue here.

Gun upgrades:

Grips - Any recs here would be appreciated. Do the stock grips work well? I know also that people seem to strongly recommend laser grips. Is Crimson Trace the only way to go? I know there are other brands out there, but don't see anyone recommending anything except CT.

Sights - Sharpie or blacken rear sights, and generally people use orange for the front sight. How do people paint the front sights so the paint sticks?

Apex kit - Seems to help drop the weight from 12 lbs to 9 lbs. Would there be any concerns with using this kit in a carry piece?

Other - Possibly finish with Robar NP3 Plus if desired based on feedback from the other thread

Support gear:

Pocket Holsters - Appears the Aholster and DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly are recommended. For the AHolster, do those with experience have a recommendation on whether to go with the traditional or the backbone revolver with the cylinder cutout?

IWB holster - seems like the DSG clipon is the way to go here

Ankle holsters - wasn't mentioned and any recommendations would be welcome

Reloads - appear to be speed strips only from what people recommend. Are all speedstrips basically made the same?

Ammo - Is this from DocGKR still the consensus on ammo for J frames?
    Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers.

Looks pretty much good to me.

CT is the way to go for grips. I like the LG105; they're smaller than some of the other models and slicker, so they don't grab fabric

Sights: Nail polish is good front sight paint. Use any color that jumps out at you. I like green.

Apex: Haven't used it. Haven't heard anything bad though.

Finish: no input. Haven't had trouble with stainless steel before though.

Pocket holster: Always used the nemesis.

AIWB: DSG clip on is awesome

Ankle: no idea

Reloads: Speedstrips is speedstrips. Consider loading 2 - skip 2 - 2, or something like that. It's easier to load in pairs if the strip isn't crowded. If weather permits, I like to have a speedloader instead. If I'm carrying only J frames, I put a speedloader just to the left of centerline, by my clinch pick, with the first J frame AIWB.

Ammo: All that, plus think about wadcutters.

Can't really add much. I carry both a speedloader, and a 2 skip2 2 strip. As to sights, I'm on my 3rd 642 and I just grabbed the white and orange sharpie paint sticks and followed P-Fer expert Claude:

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.c...-snubs-sights/

Of note is his admonition not to paint the entire front sight.

Grips: If not going CT grips (though they're great), I really liked the Uncle Mike's grips I got off e-bay; they're apparently rubber Spiegel clones. I prefer LG-405s to the -105s -- more shootable with no real negative on the concealment front.

APEX Kit: A resounding yes. It's been 100% with every brand of ammo I've tried (including 100 GDHPs).

Paint + Sharpie: yup.

Finish: Not a clue, though the OEM clear coating is pretty trash on my example and has not held up. No issues apart from aesthetics.

For pocket holsters: Uncle Mike's worked well. Kramer works even better for 95% of my needs. I personally find the Desantis too bulky for my pockets.

IWB: I use and like a BobMac's SN-2, though 90% of my J-Frame use is in the pocket.

Reload: Haven't worked out a good way to carry a speedloader apart from my jacket pocket. I use HKS. For speed strips, I currently use a six-round strip with empty-round-round-round-round-empty after reading about that somewhere and trying it out. Mine are Bianchi.

Ammo: I've carried wadcutters but I'm currently carrying Speer Gold Dot 135gr+P. The LG-405s tame it somewhat.

Site Supporter
    I like the CT grips I have on my 442. I have the 405's and find they help make the recoil impulse more pleasant. I painted my front sight orange using Testors enamel model paint with a white base coat. It looks good, has held up well, and makes the sights much more useable. My holster selections mimic yours and I haven't tried an ankle rig for the j frame. I have some speed strips and while they lay flatter in a pocket I don't find them speedy and prefer Safariland Comp I's.

Site Supporter
    Gun upgrades:

Grips - If I were to carry it IWB or OWB as my main gun I would use the larger hogue grips. For concealed or pocket carry I have kept the stock grips as I have yet to find anything that works better.

Sights - I have a 442 so the rear is already black and I don't do anything with the front site. Tried multiple different types of white or orange paint and didn't like it.

Apex kit - I thought about doing this but I carry one as a back up gun. Even though it is made with stocks parts and different springs and I could articulate why it would be a good idea our department forbids this kind of mod. My buddy has a 642 with the kit and it is nice.

Other - I had thought about what I would do to refinish. I have had mine for 7 years and the finish is nearly worn on the barrel and on the cylinder in some places. I would personally probably do cerakote or duracote but that is because my buddy can do them and I don't pay much for it.

Support gear:

Pocket Holsters - I have always used the uncles mikes pocket holsters. I played with a desantis but the uncle mikes always worked for me.

IWB holster - haven't used one of these as it has always been a backup, but I would probably go with a lobo offset clip

Ankle holsters - I like the galco stuff. Ankle lite or ankle glove depending on what you want to spend.

Reloads - not a huge fan of speed strips. prefer the safari land speed loaders but have also used the hks.

Ammo - I love the 135 grain +P short barrel. Prior I used the 158 grain wadcutter hollow points. However I had a few times where the bullet would work itself lose on some rounds and bind up the gun.

Gun upgrades

Grips- my favorite are the now discontinued Uncle Mikes boot grip.
    Sights- I generally paint the front sight white and then add a few layers of orange model paint with a toothpick.
    Apex- I don't know I never warmed up to it. I removed it and went back stock.
    Other- I want a carry gun to look carried.

Support gear

Pocket holster- I like my Mika Round cut.
    IWB- I have a Sideguard minimal clip that has been awesome. I really like the offset clip. I did notice that the holster has gone from $35 to $50 but worth it either way. Only downside is the wait.
    Ankle- no comment
    Reloads- I carry two speed strips. One strip has 5 -135 Speer gold dot which is the same as I carry. The other has 4- 158 LSWC reloads and 2 snake shot. I figure there may come a time when something needs shooting but isn't worth wasting one of the Gold dots that seem to be rarely found available in the wild.
    Ammo- As stated I carry 135 Gold dots in my 60 but I also carry 158 LSWC for general shooting. This may change and I don't know that I would hesitate to carry the 158 LSWC simply because I have shot enough of them to know where they are going to go. I have done a lot of research on full wadcutters and would carry them but I don't like shooting them for some reason.
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 12-20-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Can't really add much. I carry both a speedloader, and a 2 skip2 2 strip. As to sights, I'm on my 3rd 642 and I just grabbed the white and orange sharpie paint sticks and followed P-Fer expert Claude:

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.c...-snubs-sights/

Of note is his admonition not to paint the entire front sight.

The link above has given me the best information ever on simple, inexpensive, but very effective ways to remedy the stubby sight problem. I must add that I am stumped - wondering why S&W doesn't take care of this at the factory. I guess they sell j frames as fast as they make them, so why change?
    Anybody have an answer to that?
    Last edited by 11B10; 12-20-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Grips-Spegel or Uncle Mike's Boot grips based on the Spegels. I have some with Crimson trace grips but it is usually for dedicated alert hand draw and carry back ups.

Apex...yes

Sights....anything you can do to see them. I will spend he extra for real sights if it is an option. Most of my daily carried working guns have good sights.

Holsters...for the pocket, it depends on which pocket I have different likes. Just had to deploy my M&P 340 the other night for real and the Mika I use for strong side front pocket worked great and has been about perfect.

I am a huge fan of the DSG clip, Safariland 27 for the steel guns, and have lots of other quality stuff.

Usually use a 7 round speed strip for five shots and an eight for the 6 shot snubs. Speedloaders only when the snub is a primary, which is almost never.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

My .02 in Red

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Specifically for the 642/442.

I have been following along in the J frame thread and picked up some nuggets of info, but not sure if I missed or mis-remembered anything regarding how to set up these for BUG or rule 1 carry. So far is what I've gathered below, but would greatly appreciate any corrections or recommendations. Also not sure what I'm missing so if I overlooked anything would appreciate it. Obviously a BUG or revolver class would need to be on here as well, but primarily focusing on the hardware issue here.

Gun upgrades:

Grips - Any recs here would be appreciated. Do the stock grips work well? I know also that people seem to strongly recommend laser grips. Is Crimson Trace the only way to go? I know there are other brands out there, but don't see anyone recommending anything except CT.

Grips are a personal thing. I use Altamonts because I like wood and they fit my hand.
    Sights - Sharpie or blacken rear sights, and generally people use orange for the front sight. How do people paint the front sights so the paint sticks?

I was using green nail polish but I have since found glow on paint. White by day, one hit with the light and glow at night.

Apex kit - Seems to help drop the weight from 12 lbs to 9 lbs. Would there be any concerns with using this kit in a carry piece?

I like the stock trigger. Shoot it. it will smooth out

Other - Possibly finish with Robar NP3 Plus if desired based on feedback from the other thread

642 coat over finish sucks, 442 holds up well

Support gear:

Pocket Holsters - Appears the Aholster and DeSantis Nemesis or Superfly are recommended. For the AHolster, do those with experience have a recommendation on whether to go with the traditional or the backbone revolver with the cylinder cutout?

Desantis nemesis all the way.

IWB holster - seems like the DSG clipon is the way to go here

I have found the ride height and soft leather of the Galco stow and go is perfect FOR ME. Holsters are a personal thing like grips.

Ankle holsters - wasn't mentioned and any recommendations would be welcome

Reloads - appear to be speed strips only from what people recommend. Are all speedstrips basically made the same?

For loaders. The 5 star firearms are the best I found. You can have them custom make CW release. They come CCW release standard. S.L. Variants are the second best. But no longer imported so good luck finding them. HKS rub a little.

Here are my photos and comaprisons/specs:

https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com...-speedloaders/ .

https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com...-range-report/

I usually carry strips though.

Ammo - Is this from DocGKR still the consensus on ammo for J frames?

148gr Wadcutters or 135gr Speer GDSP are all I carry
    Last edited by eb07; 12-20-2016 at 09:58 AM.

User Tag List