Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: One Platform

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Most people seem to wind up here eventually if they get to a point where they are taking their shooting seriously and where the shooting ability serves some higher purpose (competition, self defense, professional use, etc.) vs. the shooting being the end state (aka "plinking" or "dirt shooting").

That said, it's almost impossible to get someone to start out here and not accumulate a bunch of crap. Unfortunately, it's something you have to come to on your own.

From there, many move on to broader pursuits in their old age (like GJM and Dagga Boy) where they find entertainment in trying a bunch of different things to compare them or they enjoy collecting. I don't think I'll personally ever get to that point as shooting in general just doesn't consume me like it used to and I've never really been an accumulator/collector and frankly kind of find it odd.

I've said this before but I really don't consider myself to be a firearms aficionado. I remember reading a thread on one forum where one of the posters claimed to own more that 350 firearms and I just don't see the point. If that's your thing I'm not knocking it, it's just not MY thing. (ETA I mean this in general not specifically directed at Rob S)

I went through my "cool gunz" phase right after I got out of the Army and even then I bet I didn't own 20 guns. I bought guns for their cool factor (that's a thing right?) without any thought to logistics and I ended up getting rid of every single one of them at a significant loss.

When I got married my wife absolutely forbade guns in the house so I had none. Then one day a maniac went road rage on her and chased her clear across town. She came home and told me she wanted a gun and a CHP. I went out and bought matching 1911s. That's when the bouncing around through different platforms phase started.

A couple of years ago I got a chance to get some actual professional training and I started refining things in terms of what I carried and how I carried it. That's also when I started considering moving to one platform and then to the simplest gun I could possibly carry. I used to carry a third gen S&W and an M&P Shield, then one day I went in to brain lock when I reassembled the Shield and tried to decock it. My brain kept telling my thumb to hit a lever that my eyes kept telling me wasn't there. I decided to switch to Striker fired pistols exclusively that day.

I've said it before but if I was doing this now I'd sell off every thing (excepting guns I've bought in private sales) and buy a Glock 19. My rationale is that the 19 really covers both the FS & and C niches adequately and the standard 19 magazine is legal in Colorado. That said I'd take too much of a hit if I sold off my M&Ps (especially since I can't legally sell most of my FS magazines) to buy a Glock and SWMBO would hang me.
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-19-2016 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I went through my "cool gunz" phase right after I got out of the Army and even then I bet I didn't own 20 guns.
    Well, Cypher, don't feel too bad. I'm 64, worked in LE from the 80's to the 00's and until later this week will never have owned more than five total firearms.

If you go back a year, I only owned three. Guess I'm not one of the cool kids...but somehow what I did have has always been enough. I've doubled my "collection" over the past year partly out of want, partly out of foreseen (potential) need.

I hope you reach the point in the not too distant future where you'll be able to afford to make your wishes for simplicity and the desired platform a reality.
    Last edited by blues; 12-19-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I went from a gun collection to owning the family armory. I traded off a lot and consolidated models when I became more concerned with skill and the unmistakable fact that the cost of holsters, mags, spare parts and armorer training add up fast. I started buying guns for my children to inherit someday years ago. For handguns I settled on 1911s , glock 9mm, S&w revolvers and Ruger mk II .22 or autos. If I didn't carry 1911s at work the glocks would have worked fine. If HK made the VP9 in three frame sized like the glock I would think hard about changing since glock has shown that they can screw up a good thing

If time and resources are limited, one weapon, one caliber type is probably best.

If time and resources are less prohibitive then I feel that much can be gained from multiple weapon and caliber types.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Well, Cypher, don't feel too bad. I'm 64, worked in LE from the 80's to the 00's and until later this week will never have owned more than five total firearms.

If you go back a year, I only owned three. Guess I'm not one of the cool kids...but somehow what I did have has always been enough. I've doubled my "collection" over the past year partly out of want, partly out of foreseen (potential) need.

I hope you reach the point in the not too distant future where you'll be able to afford to make your wishes for simplicity and the desired platform a reality.
    I own 5 now and probably won't be buying anymore. My wife and I have decided to invest the money into Expendables such as magazines and ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I'm still pretty much a noob after starting shooting in 2013.

I ended up with two pistols.

I've bought a S&W FS 9mm, then a VP9, then a Walther PPS M2.

I sold the M&P and the PPS for a P30SK lite LEM.

If I could roll back time, I would buy a stock P30 and a stock P30SK, both in LEM, and spend rest of the money I blew on hardware on training. I'd carry the SK and use the P30 for gun games.

If I ever saw a trade for a P30 LEM who was interested in a VP9, I'd do it on the spot, but I'm more focused on getting some training next year instead of more / different hardware.
    I don't know if you've shot a P30 LEM, but if not, definitely shoot one before you do that trade. You may not like the long trigger reset after shooting the VP9.
    Last edited by Pacioli; 12-19-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    If time and resources are limited, one weapon, one caliber type is probably best.

If time and resources are less prohibitive then I feel that much can be gained from multiple weapon and caliber types.
    I agree.

Guns can be fun, and if guns are all one is in to or life leaves time for guns plus other pursuits then that's awesome. Unfortunately for most of us 8-5 suburban and subrural dads that time just isn't available.

I also think that, beyond a pretty high level of basic proficiency, swapping around can actually be beneficial. I think that's kind of where GJM is at. Finding the pros and cons of something other than your daily carry and learning to deal with it can often lead to "a-ha moments" with the primary gun. I recall when I spent a year with an AK my AR shooting improved after that year for a variety of reasons. not so much in terms of pure accuracy or benchrest shooting but in other ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacioli View Post
    I don't know if you've shot a P30 LEM, but if not, definitely shoot one before you do that trade. You may not like the long trigger reset after shooting the VP9.
    No. How similar would a P30 lite LEM be to a P30SK lite LEM? My guess was 'more similar' than a VP9, hence my comment. At this point I'm more interested in my P30SK LEM carry pistol, to be honest. I've even just thought about selling the VP9 to finance a class, but I'm done taking a bath on selling guns I bought new.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-19-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've owned and experimented with many types of firearms. Handguns including Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W M&P, S&W 3rd Gen, revolvers, and 1911s. Rifles including lever action, bolt action, single shot, and ARs. And some shotguns. I found things to like about most of them. Most of that happened a bunch of years ago.

I carried revolvers almost exclusively for a few years. Never did the "carry rotation" thing because I didn't see the sense in it.

I have since then greatly reduced the number of guns I own and settled on the 9mm 1911 for my handguns, of which I currently own 3 Government Models and a Lightweight Commander. I own just two rifles, an AR and a bolt gun both chambered for 300 Blackout. I feel much better about the whole situation now. Sometimes I am tempted to buy another gun just for fun or something different but the temptation just isn't as great as it once was. Hearing problems have limited what I choose to shoot by a fair bit.

I'm still wet behind the ears in terms of working defensive handguns but so far I've purchased four. I started with the original PPQ, which I loved shooting. I used it for classes leading up to my CCW class and for IDPA. Eventually I became uncomfortable with the trigger for defensive purposes and sold it. I switched to a P30 LEM, largely due to this forum. I also purchased a Walther P99C AS, kind of a spur of the moment because I saw it used in a LGS.

Then I quit shooting for a time.

Recently I decided to start carrying again and realized a big part of why I stopped was the size of the P30. Part of it was newbie self-consciousness but I also found it uncomfortable and a pain to carry. I know, some people can comfortably carry a Remington 870 with the right AIWB holster and belt. For now, I'm not one of those. So I sprung for a Walther PPS M2. I feel comfortable carrying it and I enjoy shooting it.

But now I've got three pistols with distinctly different triggers and three different mag releases, a short and long paddle and a button. I find it difficult switching between them, finding myself hunting for the paddle or button on the wrong gun. So for now I've decided to just concentrate on the PPS.

I would really like to have a compact, sub-compact and single stack set, all the same gun. The only brand I know that offers that is Glock, but I haven't been able to get myself to purchase one yet. Are there any other manufacturers that offer the three sizes in the same model?

I'm also contemplating purchasing a small revolver to carry in my coat pocket during the winter, since my primary carry is under layers of cloths.

For now I dream of H&K adding a small P30 single stack to their P30 line. I'd also like to see Walther refresh the P99 line coming out with a P99 single stack as well.

User Tag List