Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One Platform

The folk wisdom of "Beware the man with one gun " has analytical backing behind it.

In short, I assigned training cost and skill "profit" to an imaginary rotation of seven different pistols in an Excel profit and loss optimization table. It said pick one and use it ,a lot.

Which makes sense given us humans are limited in resources. Effective training costs time and sometimes money, and spreading both across multiple firearm types is a recipe for confusion and error. Note that the more time and money someone can devote to shooting,the more skill they can build with more firearms-which IMO leads to unrealistic expectations when shooters compare themselves to industry pros and SMEs.

The regular dude with a $100 /2hour monthly shooting + range + time cost budget should ideally pick one pistol and stick with it. Robbie Leatham can shoot ten different models and types because his training resources are exponentially higher in those categories. A pro actually needs to shoot multiple guns at a certain high resource level ; because after running thousands of rounds through Gun X shooting another ten thousand rounds through it doesn't net the same skill benefit the first batch imparted.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I'm a fan of a single platform approach. Currently, I'm using Glocks, and pretty much have been for the last decade or so. I have tried to mix striker fired pistols with TDA, SA, and DAO triggers, with marginal results. Sure, I can pick any of them up and shoot them well enough to do what needs doing in a pinch, but if I want to perform at peak levels, I need to stick to a single trigger system, preferably to a single brand of pistol.

As an example, I can run pretty much any 9mm Glock at a pretty high level. But, when I switch to the large-frame Glocks, I notice an immediate drop off in performance just from the changes in grip size and shape. Likewise, I struggle, mightily, with the G43 to shoot it at speed - again, a 9mm Glock, but different enough in size/shape that it gives me fits.

When I switch between the Glock and HK LEM, I REALLY have to slow down with the LEM, or the wheels come off in a big way. Likewise, switching from G19 to VP9 leads to better accuracy, but I have to slow down because I find the VP9 is "flippier" - again, solely based on how I interact with IT, not because of any other reason. If I had "grown up" shooting a VP9, I'm sure I'd put five rounds through a G19 and say, "no thanks."

If I could go back in time I would have two g19s, a box of parts, good sights, and a punch. With my life style, college/new baby, simple and easy is what I need from a firearm. I have gone through multiple phases now and every time I get a new gun or just a "play" thing it distracts me from my end goal. That is even more true now, as time is limited and I have to pick and choose where it goes. I was really happy when I finally got to check out a gadget and plan on moving back that direction and getting rid of all other distractions. Being brutally honest with myself, I thought I was a much better shooter than I was and would often look for hardware fixes to things that were obviously me.

I have one .40S&W (Just in case 9mm gets rare again). I carry a LCP as a BUG and I have an LCR as a back up to the LCP. All my main carry is in Glock 9mms. And i can see myself eventually having duplicate G17's and G19's (Because I really like them)
    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    If I could go back in time I would have two g19s, a box of parts, good sights, and a punch. With my life style, college/new baby, simple and easy is what I need from a firearm. I have gone through multiple phases now and every time I get a new gun or just a "play" thing it distracts me from my end goal. That is even more true now, as time is limited and I have to pick and choose where it goes. I was really happy when I finally got to check out a gadget and plan on moving back that direction and getting rid of all other distractions. Being brutally honest with myself, I thought I was a much better shooter than I was and would often look for hardware fixes to things that were obviously me.
    100% with you on this one. Money, time and work are a huge factor for me as well. I have dabbled in the DA/SA realm with a CZ, owned M&P's, 5" 1911's every glock in the 9mm flavoring and tried just about every spring and connector combo you can put in the plastic wonder pistol. What is boils down to is a glock 19 with dawson sights on it. I shoot it better than I ever shot my 17 and I have 2 identical pistols, one for training and one for carrying. Wish I had found this site 9 years ago when I first starting shooting...
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

My carry guns are all 9mm Glocks and J frames. I have to able to shoot many different platforms due to my second job.

Most people seem to wind up here eventually if they get to a point where they are taking their shooting seriously and where the shooting ability serves some higher purpose (competition, self defense, professional use, etc.) vs. the shooting being the end state (aka "plinking" or "dirt shooting").

That said, it's almost impossible to get someone to start out here and not accumulate a bunch of crap. Unfortunately, it's something you have to come to on your own.

From there, many move on to broader pursuits in their old age (like GJM and Dagga Boy) where they find entertainment in trying a bunch of different things to compare them or they enjoy collecting. I don't think I'll personally ever get to that point as shooting in general just doesn't consume me like it used to and I've never really been an accumulator/collector and frankly kind of find it odd.

Site Supporter
    I am down to a Glock 19 , a shield and S&W revolvers mainly a 60 and a 3" 65. I have have narrowed down my choices because as mentioned earlier that I drive different vehicles and find myself reaching for the manual shifter or the clutch or radio in the wrong vehicle. I have considered trying to commit to one gun for a while maybe even 2017 (I don't have the discipline). If I did I think it would be my 3" 65 or my model 60. I cant seem to find a way to comfortably carry the 19 that offers the level of concealment I need. On paper the Glock 26 would be perfect but I don't shoot it to the level I do the 60 or 65. Of course if I committed a year to the 26 I'm sure that would change. While capacity is a wonderful thing I know my 65 gave me a sense of peace while my 19 served house duty with the wife when we had a cop killer on the lose close to my house and job a few weeks ago.

Site Supporter
    I have a few different "Platforms" that I kinda sorta accumulated over the past few years but I've found that unless you're a fairly high level shooter, it'll probably harm you more than help you to jump around a bunch.

I'm not a high level shooter...Yet, and so when I switched to Glocks from 1911s the transition has been a little tough to work. I still keep 1911s around because I have an attachment to my first 1911. I played around with Berettas to try to find a better 9mm mousetrap but ultimately I realized that buying more guns/holsters/mags is too expensive and focusing effort and money on range time/shot timers/a progressive reloading press is time better spent.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

One platform

I agree with the OP, my carry, competition platform is the G-19, for me it fits my hand well, and i can shoot it well. With that in mind i can standardize on holsters and get a decent stockpile of magazines and ammo. All my G-19's have the same sights, mag release, trigger and grip plug. I find that i can devote my time more efficiently by focusing on one platform.

User Tag List