Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One Platform

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Used to be one of those "carry rotation" guys but this forum has a way of fixing bad habits.
    (IMO) Having different guns for different circumstances is not the same as “rotating” your carry guns. As I’ve stated before I switch off between one of two guns depending on circumstances and my concealment needs.

90% of the time based on my circumstance I can dress in a way that that accommodates a full sized gun so I carry the M&P9. When I have to dress differently or I’m sitting around the house and I don’t want to carry a full sized gun I carry the 9C but in either case I’m carrying two almost identical guns.

To me “rotating” your carry guns is a mood thing. Like “I’m bored with my 1911 so today I’m going to carry my GLOCK” and for me mood has nothing to do with carrying a gun.
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-18-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Right, that's what I meant by the term, I didn't mean to imply that you were the same type. OCing at the gun store where I used to work made gun selection almost a fashion choice, and also that I felt more experience with a wide variety of guns made me better at my job. I meant that this forum made me care a lot more about shooting BETTER, and made me think about the importance of consistency, parts availability, magazine cost, etc.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Right, that's what I meant by the term, I didn't mean to imply that you were the same type. OCing at the gun store where I used to work made gun selection almost a fashion choice, and also that I felt more experience with a wide variety of guns made me better at my job. I meant that this forum made me care a lot more about shooting BETTER, and made me think about the importance of consistency, parts availability, magazine cost, etc.
    I never took it as you saying I was one of "those people". To me the two topics are somewhat intertwined.

Site Supporter
    Years ago I did the same thing. I would rent guns and set up basic drills for accuracy/speed at the range and made a qualitative score for what I shot the best. If I shot a rental platform as well as my normal carry gear the first time handling it, I jumped ship. This was just about as expensive and gave some insight to pros/cons of different things, but I never varied from that one platform. In MP phase, I had 9L, 9C, and 45FS, for example. Same thing with 1911's - 5" and an officer's model. Glocks were 34's and 19's.

I'm on Sigs now, and really don't see myself going away from them for me. I have a 226, and am looking at a 239 to acquire sometime next year. Same method of operation, trigger, etc., makes life pretty simple if you ask me. Varying the size a little give acknowledgment to the real world that some of us are in - others never have to worry about downsides of full-size pistols.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 12-18-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Every semi-auto I carry is a "classic" P-series Sig, with the rare exception of uniformed details when I have to carry the Glock. If I shot the Glock as well as the Sig, I'd go all Glock. I don't find any advantage to switching back and forth between platforms, although some here have disagreed with me on that. I use revolvers as mY 'for fun' guns to keep things from getting too boring.

I do not consolidate on one caliber, but I reload so it's much easier. With the revolvers, keeping brass isn't a big deal. The same powders can be used for a variety of cartridges. Really, the only thing I need to buy specifically is the bullet itself.

I platform 'jump'.

I'm not able to always be productive when at the range; much of my range time is stuck at fixed distances, with round-per-second timing restrictions. When I try to do more than typical 2 handed shooting, our local range Nazis scold or boot you off the range(no SHO/WHO shooting, 'cause no need to practice like a gangsta). When I get too many sessions like that, I start trying to buy bulls-eye skill and my inventory wanders.

I have been playing hooky from work more lately and when I go in the middle of the day I'm able to do actual holster work & speed drills. After doing that with whatever my platform of the month is, I've reverted back to shooting my classic P series Sigs as I can shoot them very well (for me) at speed.

Site Supporter
    Jeep, BB - have either of you given the P320 a trial? The first time I dry fired one, I thought: "What is the deal with this trigger?" My buddy at the FFL just stood there and laughed. Then he said: "Shall I gift wrap that, Sir?" He's a real comedian. Now, I'm still currently a .45 guy, but will be joining the 9mm group someday soon as my osteoarthritis is relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Although I am currently playing with the LCR as a J frame substitute, but one 5 shot snub ain't that big a swap from another 5 shot snubby.
    Do you mind me asking why? I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Do you mind me asking why? I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.
    This is what Chuck mentioned to me in a PM a short while ago which touched on this and a few other topics:

Playing with the LCR because they are lighter and come stock with what may be a better trigger for me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Fair enough. Always good to have options.

User Tag List