Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: One Platform

I'm not as advanced a shooter as many are on here, as I have only been shooting pistol for about 5 years. However, I believe that moving frequently between platforms tends to be detrimental for running any given handgun at a high level of proficiency. I do not mean simply being able to fire and get consistent hits. I mean being able to perform all manner of manipulations to a high level on one platform versus the other platform(s) that you are exposing yourself to----clearing malfunctions, actuating controls, reloading, etc.

At a high level, these manipulations are more a matter of muscle memory than "thoughtful" motions, and moving back & forth between platforms seems too likely to degrade ones ability/speed to perform the dedicated motions, thus impacting overall performance.

My competition gun is a 9mm 1911, but I carry a 9mm P2000. Given that commander 9mm 1911s are not available in CA to non-LE I couldn't be happier with my choice for carry. The triggers are night and day so there is no confusing which gun you've just snatched from the holster. In the interest of full disclosure I have one of my P2000 back at Lazy Wolf Guns so the trigger will be shorter and slightly lighter; I may well have to send the other gun away for the same work so I'll have a true backup.

We have other guns: two M&Ps that don't get used at all, a few 45ACP 1911s just 'cause and two 9mm EMPs. I'll carry the EMP only when I can't make the P2000 work well which I expect to never be the case, but it is a cool little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    There's arguably a difference between, say, the trigger on a cocked CZ P-07 and that on a stock "5.5#" Glock, both in weight and travel.

But newer striker guns like the PPQ (or people running aftermarket stuff like the FSS on Smith M&Ps) are trying to make the situation as analogous as possible. :/
    Have to agree. I'd bet if folks had an actual understanding of the mechanics of some of the new pistols they might be more in favor of a manual safety on a number of models.

Banned
    There are people on this forum who probably shoot more rounds in a weekend than I'm able to all year. I get to the range every other month and probably spend an hour or so. I know I should shoot more but the funds just aren't there.

Having said all that I have had opportunities to get some professional training. When I first started I switched off between Third Generation S&Ws and M&Ps and when I quit doing that and started only taking my M&P to the classes I objectively did better in the class.

Site Supporter
    I'm in the previously mentioned camp of EDC being a Glock 9 mm and/or a J frame. I shoot both in matches and carry both. I want to be competent with both. Take classes with both.

I do have a 1911 that I will shoot in matches and if had to carry, want to be competent. Then there are fun guns like the Buckmark for steel once in awhile. I had to use them, I have familiarity.

One Platform

Bought my first gun, a S&W M&P FS9 in Nov '14. I then purchased a VP9 in '15, and a Walther PPS M2. I recently traded the M&P and Walther in on a P30SK and could not be happier with 'one' platform (HK).

I now have one mag type that interchanges, one set of mag pouches, one ammo type for training and carry, and one mag release type to deal with. Both guns are fully ambi, helpful for me (lefty) and my wife (righty).

I only wish I would not have put HDs on the VP9, so that I'd have the same sights on both (the glow in the dark OEMs).

Knock on wood, at this point I don't see any handgun purchases in my future, allowing me to focus on some much needed training the next few years.

I wish I had known all this ^^^ in 2014.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-03-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Bought my first gun, a S&W M&P FS9 in Nov '14. I then purchased a VP9 in '15, and a Walther PPS M2. I recently traded the M&P and Walther in on a P30SK and could not be happier with 'one' platform (HK).

I now have one mag type that interchanges, one set of mag pouches, one ammo type for training and carry, and one mag release type to deal with. Both guns are fully ambi, helpful for me (lefty) and my wife (righty).

I only wish I would not have put HDs on the VP9, so that I'd have the same sights on both (the glow in the dark OEMs).

Knock on wood, at this point I don't see any handgun purchases in my future, allowing me to focus on some much needed training the next few years.

Keep tellin' yourself that you're done, Rich let's see how that works out for ya...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Knock on wood, at this point I don't see any handgun purchases in my future, allowing me to focus on some much needed training

Rich, you and me both 're: "wishing we could go back!" I bought my first handgun in March of 2013, a Springfield XDS/.45. Great LITTLE gun. Went through the recall the following fall, then sold it to a PSP friend. I then bought the gun I should have bought first, a G30S. That gun's slide "froze up," a tale I posted here awhile ago. Ended up with a new 30S. Loved it, except for a problem getting to the mag release. Sold that to another PSP friend and bought my Sig P320 C.

Site Supporter
    My carry guns are .40 Glocks because that is what is required by my job. I do own duplicates in 9mm for less expensive practice when work gets stingy with practice ammo, which is almost always these days. J frame Smiths are pocket guns around the house or BUG off duty. No BUGS authorized on my badge. State CHP covers that. Home dry fire guns are a Ruger GP-100 and a Smith 442-2. A SIG P228 I got a good deal on a few years ago has been passed on to my son when he moved away several months ago and my one Beretta 92FC is being sold to a co-worker next week so there will be no more TDA guns in the house for the foreseeable future. I enjoy them as range guns but do not have the time to properly learn to run them as they should be run.
    When I ever retire, I see myself putting more time into revolver shooting with my service and snub .38s and my pair of cosmetically decrepit 5" 1911 .45s. Retirement road trips with the bride may entail going into places where hi cap mags are illegal, hence the desire to maximize revolver skills. Revolvers are also what the bride can use in case of emergency. She does not have the physical strength or the desire to learn the bottom feeding pistol. Solo travel into such areas may call for a 1911 on the belt and a snub .38 for BUG. to get around the less than reliable reputation that ten round Glock mags have in standard sized guns. A Shield or DAK P239 may be a worthy contender for this circumstance.
    Two 1.5 hour sessions a month is spread usually around 65% Glock and 35% split evenly between service and snub .38s. 1911s average about three hours every six months, so they do not get carried.
    Our "one platform" needs can and will most likely change over a lifetime.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 01-07-2017 at 10:51 AM.

I have a few guns that are almost suitable to carry, but I don't practiceournal one over the other, because some are underpowered, some have sub-standard quality issues, and others are too big.

I plan on getting a Canik TP9V2, double and single action, which has the decocker. It is totally different than the handguns I have now, so practicing with the others would simply be developing multiple training scars.

Of course, I am inexperienced, and my opinion holds next to no weight.

User Tag List