Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One Platform

Banned

One Platform

I put this here because to me it's a mindset thing. If I'm wrong feel free to move it.

This was kind of a side discussion in another thread and I decided to start my own thread.

When I first started shooting I bought a lot of different guns in a lot of different (oddball) calibers.

After a while I realized that it cost a lot of money to stock all those different calibers of ammunition and different types of magazines and accessories and I decided that I needed to downsize my "collection" and concentrate on commonality.

One of the reasons I made this decision is because I don’t feel like I get to the range all that often so I want to maximize the time I’m there and I feel like getting myself up to speed on various platforms takes away from that so I stick with the one.

I looked around I did some research and eventually settled on the M&P.* I sold off all my other handguns (except my 4006 just because I bought it in a private sale) and bought an M&P9 and a 9C.

I now have one trigger to get used to and one type of sights. The grips on each gun are essentially the same and the sight radius is almost identical. I only have to buy one caliber of ammunition and I find it's easier to buy in bulk that way. Both guns take the FS magazines and now that I can buy Colorado legal FS magazines I can stock up for both guns.

This may not be ideal for everyone but for someone like me who has a limited training budget it works

*If I had to start over from nothing I'd buy one (maybe 2) Glock 19s and call it good but the M&Ps are adequate to the task and I can't really afford the loss I'd take selling them off to buy a Glock
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-18-2016 at 04:23 PM.

I've done the same thing, except all my serious guns are Glock 9mms and S&W J frames.

Although I am currently playing with the LCR as a J frame substitute, but one 5 shot snub ain't that big a swap from another 5 shot snubby.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I wound up in pretty much the same place this summer by switching to the Beretta 92 platform- 92FS, 92FS Compact, and a 92D Centurion.
    The D is my dryfire/backup. The 92 is the training/match gun, and the Compact is the carry gun.

The great thing is that I can use the same holster, mags,& parts for all three- with the obvious exception of the compact mags.
    And even then, I can carry the full Mec-Gars as a reload- they function quite well in the Compact.

I tend to be a single platform person. I've moved between SIGs and Glocks over the years, but generally a complete swap for a few years at a time.

I don't count j-frames since they go with anything.

I think it makes a lot of sense, Cypher, and not just from a financial perspective. (Sort of like the old saw about being mindful of the man with only one gun. Especially if he has multiples.)

My small "collection" is pretty much made up of some of the firearms and calibers I carried while still employed in L.E. (Not all are represented.)

Semi-autos are only Glocks in 9mm...19 & 26. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering another of each under the Blue Label program to back up these two which date back to 1988 and 1996 respectively.

Revolvers are only S&W. A 3" 686+ (which is close to the Model 19 I once carried) and an inbound 642 (which as a J frame is similar enough to my old model 36). (Ammo is .38 and .357 of varying manufacture and weight.)

I don't have any issues transitioning between the Glocks and Smiths like I would between the Glock and say a Sig or Beretta as the platforms are so different and each was carried contemporaneously for many years.
    Last edited by blues; 12-18-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Never could go back and forth b/t TDA and striker fired guns very well. All my serious semis are TDA. Also running K frames in DAO.
    Last edited by Lon; 12-18-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

It's not a dumb idea.

I'm still pretty much a noob after starting shooting in 2013.

I ended up with two pistols.

I've bought a S&W FS 9mm, then a VP9, then a Walther PPS M2.

I sold the M&P and the PPS for a P30SK lite LEM.

If I could roll back time, I would buy a stock P30 and a stock P30SK, both in LEM, and spend rest of the money I blew on hardware on training. I'd carry the SK and use the P30 for gun games.

If I ever saw a trade for a P30 LEM who was interested in a VP9, I'd do it on the spot, but I'm more focused on getting some training next year instead of more / different hardware.

I've been thinking along the same lines this past year; part to do with having to sell most of my guns, but I've standardized on the 92. Currently have a G and Centurion D for carry, but I'm looking at a G converted Centurion for carry and using the D for backup. Used to be one of those "carry rotation" guys but this forum has a way of fixing bad habits.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Never could go back and forth b/t TDA and striker fired guns very well. All my serious semis are TDA. Also running K frames in DAO.
    This might sound like a dumb example but my car is a Mitsubishi Gallant. At work I drive either a Jeep Wrangler or a Ford Escape and I can't count the times I've been sitting in the Jeep reaching for where the cruise control on the Escape is or sitting in MY car trying to change radio stations by tapping a button on the steering column like I do on the Jeep. Every time it happens it reminds me why I only carry M&Ps

User Tag List