Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1911 vs P226

I love Sig P series, but there is something spiritual about shooting a 1911 in 45 ACP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    How is the Colt Competition in .45? LGS has it on the shelf and it seems to have some of the features (sights, hammer, beavertail) that I would want to upgrade anyway. Swap the goofy blue FO insert for red, some nice walnut stocks and roll on?
    I'm 1,200 rounds into the 2k challenge with mine so far and it has digested everything I've fed it, without any hiccups. I've used half a dozen different defensive loads in addition to a lot of my 230 grain fmj ball reloads and it just keeps knocking down targets. It's a real joy to shoot. Highly recommended.

Is there still no decision? The credit should be usable toward ammo if a gun decision just can't be made.
    The first post mentioned a "steel" pistol instead of a Glock. With few exceptions, the SIG P226 generally has an aluminum frame.
    The Colts being discussed, the Series 70 and the Colt Competition do have steel frames, but there are other models with aluminum frames.
    The Colt Competition models do have a Series 80 firing pin safety system.

Personally, I've got SIGs and 1911s, but my main choice for carry is one of the many Glocks I have.
    The other choice with SIG or Colt is which caliber.

OTHER.
    I had some trouble with my newer model SIG P226 with its long extractor version. Luckily, I cured it by merely replacing the two extractor springs, but this did require a special half-round punch and some spare parts. I suppose I could have sent it back to SIG under warranty, but wanted the experience of diassembling the slide.

I've had three Colt 1911s over the years, all with the Series 80 firing pin safety system, although I've got other brands with no firing pin safety, which I prefer for ease of full detail stripping. I no longer have the Colts. In fact, I would have only had two Colts except one had to replaced under warranty due to its frame beginning to crack at ~8K rounds. I also had the latter two Colt's front sight tenons (on these models the front sights were staked on; they weren't dovetailed type front sights) come loose. Prior to the frame crack, the slide on that 2nd Colt (a #O4691 Colt Commander .45) was sent back to have a new front sight installed as the existing one didn't have enough material to restake. By this time, I'd already bought a tool to restake the front sight but I was unsuccessful at doing so.

This left me with three 1911s with one of the remaining three back to its maker for warranty work (estimated to take 3 months). BTW, getting that 3rd replacement Colt took ~2 months. When 1911s break, if it can't be done quickly by doing the repair myself, getting any work done can often be measured in months.

Yet, I like both my 1911 platform guns (but sometimes hate them) and my SIGs.

The decision has been made. I shot a rented 1911 just to reinforce either the love or the hate and between the price of ammo, increased recoil, and being unable to legitimately think of a time I would use the pistol other than as a range toy, I decided to pass. Same for the Sig actually. I'd forgotten how much I have to change my grip in order to allow the slide stop to work, thus I don't shoot it as well.

In the end, I went with something fun, but that will also see good use: a 10/22 Takedown Lite, 16" threaded barrel for use with my suppressor. I slapped on the Nikon 3-9 Rimfire BDC as recommended by some here (Lost River I believe). I also grabbed 1k 9mm ball, a BCM chsrging handle for one of my AR's, scope rings for my new CZ 452, and then cashed out the rest to finish Christmas shopping.

I think I learned something about myself: I don't really like pistols. I'm much more of a rifle (and optics) and shotgun guy. I do enjoy developing pistol skill, but the hardware side of the pistol doesn't really excite me. To me, the 9mm Glock is the most well-rounded and practical pistol choice available, so that's really all I care to mess with.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Very nice! Just for reference for folks that have a hard time with sigs and the slide lock getting depressed - you can install a p224 slide lock in the p226 (I think 229 also), and it'll probably take care of that issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I think I learned something about myself: I don't really like pistols. I'm much more of a rifle (and optics) and shotgun guy. I do enjoy developing pistol skill, but the hardware side of the pistol doesn't really excite me.
    Funny, I have several great shotguns and a few great rifles, but handguns are what tunes my fork. The long guns seem to carry no emotion for me, they come out for the task at hand, rarely just to be contemplated.

Though conversely I have streamlined the full size auto pistols down to M&Ps and 1911s, but there are many, many others that I want because of reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I have zero passion for rifles. Strictly tools for a job. I truly enjoy handguns.

As much as I love 1911's, there's no way I would choose one of mine over my mk-25's (226's) for durability or reliability. A vetted one is pretty legit and the Battlefield Vegas thread over at arfcom made me a believer.

User Tag List