Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 vs P226

1911 vs P226

Hello all,
    I find myself in the fortunate position of having $1,200 in store credit available to me at my LGS. I'm contemplating using some of the credit for a non-Glock pistol. I've only ever had and shot 9mm Glocks besides a brief stint with the M&P. My top contenders are the Sig P226 in 9mm and Colt 70 series 1911 in .45. The purpose is just to have something different than the Glock and perhaps a bit more accurate, steel, prettier with more soul. I do plan to carry it on occasion. The 1911 appeals because of it's slimness on certain carry occasions. Conversely, the sig is in 9mm, which I already have on hand.

Your thoughts and recommendations please.

Thank you!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

If it matters I think it's easier to transition between a 1911 and a Glock than it is a Sig and a Glock.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I agree with GreggW. Also, I think the 1911 platform is excellent in 9mm. There is a wide choice of 9mm 1911s in your price range.

"prettier with more soul"...you just described the Colt 1911. Kinda like you can own a motorcycle or ride a Harley. FWIW.

JW

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the 1911. Even if you get it in .45 (my preference in most 1911's), Having a second caliber with somewhat different capabilities isn't a bad thing. Both 1911's and Glocks have relatively short, relatively light triggers, so transitioning is easy. Getting used to working the safety is easy, and you will have it in less than five practice draws. The slimness does make even a full size 1911 surprisingly easy to conceal. While this is more personal and less important, I cannot think of a single handgun I enjoy shooting more than a 1911.

I say all of the above in recognition of the excellent manner in which the Sig P226 fits my hand, the nice layout of the controls, and the availability of a DAK trigger system. So, if you go with the Sig, I doubt you would be unhappy.

As a learning opportunity you'll get more out of the sig. mastering the DA/SA is something a lot of shooters I've talked to say improv d their overall trigger control. An S70 is a thing of beauty -- I got mine -- but it is not a gun you're going to learn much from, nor is it ready to shoot 300 rounds a session without tearing up your paws pretty good. It's an excellent basis for customization but it is not good to go. You can afford a dan Wesson, not a colt, not for realsies.

All of this of course presumes you're ok with being a godless pinko. They probably make nice purse holsters for those sigs.

Site Supporter
    I guess you need to decide what's most important to you in a non-Glock pistol. Each of the guns you mentioned has advantages and disadvantages and either one could be a good choice.

The 1911 in .45ACP is an American classic, has a slim profile, and the single action trigger can be very good. Redundant safety mechanisms make it a safe gun to carry when used properly. A 1911 that works is both aesthetically appealing (to me at least) and functional. Capacity isn't great. Before I transitioned to 9mm 1911s I owned two recent production Colt Series 70 pistols and they had great triggers and worked just fine.

The Sig P226 is a proven design. The DA/SA triggers on the examples I've owned have been pretty good and the double action trigger needn't be a barrier to good shooting. The de-cocker is easy to use. Capacity is obviously better than the 1911, but it is very noticeably thicker. 9mm practice ammo is significantly cheaper than .45ACP if that matters to you. If I were ever to buy another Sig it would be another P226 or MK25.

I would not assume a basic Series 70 or a P226 is inherently either more or less accurate than a Glock.

If you really want to learn the double action trigger, get the Sig because it's a solid gun. If you want an iconic American pistol with a potentially great trigger that despite its shortcomings is still viable for carry or home defense use, get the Colt.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    nor is it ready to shoot 300 rounds a session without tearing up your paws pretty good. It's an excellent basis for customization but it is not good to go.
    I think this depends on the user. I still own a couple basic Colts and it doesn't bother me to shoot hundreds of rounds -- but then I've been shooting the basic models for quite some time. The Series 70 is good to go if a GI-style basic model appeals to you. I own basic 1991 models and more modern style Colts, for different purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think this depends on the user.
    I don't disagree that much. It can be hard, for me, to reliably hit the firing grip on the draw without a beaver tail. YMMV.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I do plan to carry it on occasion. The 1911 appeals because of it's slimness on certain carry occasions. Conversely, the sig is in 9mm, which I already have on hand.
    45 ACP 1911 grip is actually same or thicker than G19's. Slimness is there in the dustcover area, so I you wear slimmer pants. However, the top garment has to be equally loose to conceal both.
    226 is a 34 oz empty, 9 mm gun. You gonna carry that over a Glock? Unlike a popular opinion on this site, I don't think that mastering a 226, or most DA/SA guns, translates into added value of further mastering a Glock unless you put an extra stiff mainspring in. It does translate into getting a more well rounded shooting experience though.

Not exactly what you asked but I'd go for a 6000 of 9mm ammo if that's an option. Or 3000 rounds of ammo and a G43 for a truly slim carry gun.
    Last edited by YVK; 12-18-2016 at 12:38 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List