Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Sheriff’s Sentinel Program in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The LEOSA comment was made as a joke, but since you mentioned it here....I'm confused. They're being appointed as deputies, for the purpose of having LE powers that allow them to carry (and thus intervene) on campus. Why do you then say they're not making these people LEOs, when making them LEOs in the eyes of the law is what appears to be the entire purpose behind the program? And if they are, why would they not qualify for LEOSA?

Thanks for clarifying.
    In Florida, the title of deputy sheriff is bestowed by the Sheriff. LEO status requires that they be state certified or to be hired as a trainee and required to complete the CJSTC standards within 180 days of appointment. They are not making them LEO's. The Sheriff of Polk County cannot grant them the ability to be exempt from state law. What he is doing is giving them "status" as someone with special authority within Polk County, specifically the campus of Southeastern University, to carry arms on his behalf , under the limited exceptions as spelled out in the law. Their "special deputization" doesn't fly outside of Polk County, and the oath they sign will inform them of that unless their legal counsel is insane. I suspect that they will all have to have concealed weapons permits, and the reason behind the "special deputization" is so that they can still enforce Florida statutes regarding carrying a concealed weapon on a college campus against anyone who is not a "special deputy".

As a matter of background, I am a reserve deputy sheriff a couple of counties away. I am also a lawyer who previously served as the general counsel to my sheriff's office. My day job is representing governments and governmental officials in federal courts against people who claim their rights have been violated under the U.S. Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by K.O.A.M. View Post
    In Florida, the title of deputy sheriff is bestowed by the Sheriff. LEO status requires that they be state certified or to be hired as a trainee and required to complete the CJSTC standards within 180 days of appointment. They are not making them LEO's. The Sheriff of Polk County cannot grant them the ability to be exempt from state law. What he is doing is giving them "status" as someone with special authority within Polk County, specifically the campus of Southeastern University, to carry arms on his behalf , under the limited exceptions as spelled out in the law. Their "special deputization" doesn't fly outside of Polk County, and the oath they sign will inform them of that unless their legal counsel is insane. I suspect that they will all have to have concealed weapons permits, and the reason behind the "special deputization" is so that they can still enforce Florida statutes regarding carrying a concealed weapon on a college campus against anyone who is not a "special deputy".
    Ok.....so by "LEO status", you mean they don't have arrest authority?

Thanks for explaining the technicalities. Certainly an interesting solution. Any chance that your office, or any other counties are following suit?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Correct. No arrest authority.

I doubt anyone else will be following suit. I know that in my county, the state college (junior/community college) has not asked for this and has not posted any exception to the state statute allowing the possession of weapons on campus. The University of Central Florida is partially within our jurisdiction and has its own police department. Also, I am very curious what's going to happen the first time one of these "special deputies" pulls out their badge for something other than an active shooter on campus. It has been my experience that passing out of badges and "special deputy" status is usually more trouble than it's worth, especially as the holder of said status seems to think-even after being told otherwise-that they have LEO status and can do things like conduct traffic stops.

If we were asked to provide training and advice to a college that is considering such a program, I am sure we would do so. We have a deputy sheriff assigned as a school resource deputy to the state college, and its main campus is less than 1/4 mile from our main building.

User Tag List