Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Sheriff’s Sentinel Program in Florida

First Sheriff’s Sentinel Program in Florida

Southeastern University and the Polk County Sheriff’s Office (PCSO) are partnering together for the first Sentinel Program in the state of Florida, in order to enhance safety for students, faculty, staff and guests of the campus. This one-of-a-kind program enables authorized and properly trained employees of the university to carry concealed firearms on campus for the purpose of rapidly responding to an active assailant on campus. Otherwise, in the state of Florida it is illegal to conceal or open carry on college campuses. The Office of the President selected employees who volunteered for the program, and were later screened by the PCSO staff, including criminal background checks, drug testing, and a psychological evaluation. The training for the participants will begin in January of 2017, and the program will be implemented in the summer of 2017. The participants will be given 100 hours of comprehensive firearm safety and proficiency training for the purpose of providing security on campus during an active assailant incident. The 100-hour block of firearms instruction is 25 percent more instruction than the standard that is required for certified law enforcement officers. In addition to the 100 hours, the Sentinels will also be required to complete 32 hours of deadly force training. The participants will be appointed by the Sheriff as volunteer “Special Deputies.” The Special Deputies will have no authority to act in any law enforcement capacity outside of an active assailant incident on campus. The firearms and holsters will be approved by the PCSO. The Southeastern University director of safety and security will retain the names of the participants, documentation of the weapon and equipment inspections, as well as the participants’ training certification, inspection and qualification records. In the event of an attack, the Sentinel program participants will identify themselves through the wearing or providing of a rapid safety banner.
    https://www.seu.edu/2016/12/16/south...tinel-program/

Breaking News: An unprecedented number of pro-gun college professors have started moving to Florida in hopes of attaining LEOSA status.

In all seriousness, thumbs up.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Good job Florida.

Kansas is going the even better route and eliminating all restrictions to carry outside of "real" secure zones. Unless a place has metal detectors and armed guards at every entrance they can not deny you the right to carry. Schools, hospitals, churches, anywhere. The last of the schools restrictions will be lifted completely in July of 2017.

Bed wetters are freaking out daily.

Awesome!! I'm not really surprised to see that this is Polk County.

This is bad ass Sheriff Grady Judd - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9-WlXOeaBo

Site Supporter
    So is it going to be a prof with a full duty gear setup? I imagine if I went to class with a Glock 17 and two extra mags out in the open - hilarity would ensue. I don't know about that school but the armed and out there prof is going to be a 'target' for a lot of campus political 'sniping'.

I applaud the effort but would prefer just allow concealed carry on a campus. Do you carry your banner with you at all times?

I hate to be a cynic - but I am. I like the idea of training and offering it but I think a more concealed model would be more appealing. I can conceal a Glock and an extra mag in everyday clothes.

BTW, if you think I'm somehow anti - I'm the guy who told the college President at an open meeting that he was full of baloney on concealed carry and same to the Faculty Senate. Got on TV when testifying to the TX House on the issue and in quite a few TX newspapers.

-- Ingore stupid comments on OC , I misread the the OP - Duh
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 12-18-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So is it going to be a prof with a full duty gear setup? I imagine if I went to class with a Glock 17 and two extra mags out in the open - hilarity would ensue. I don't know about that school but the armed and out there prof is going to be a 'target' for a lot of campus political 'sniping'.

I applaud the effort but would prefer just allow concealed carry on a campus. Do you carry your banner with you at all times?

I hate to be a cynic - but I am. I like the idea of training and offering it but I think a more concealed model would be more appealing. I can conceal a Glock and an extra mag in everyday clothes.

BTW, if you think I'm somehow anti - I'm the guy who told the college President at an open meeting that he was full of baloney on concealed carry and same to the Faculty Senate. Got on TV when testifying to the TX House on the issue and in quite a few TX newspapers.
    Why do you get the idea they'll be wearing a duty belt and not concealed? The write-up specifically states concealed carry.

As for this vs allowing concealed carry permits, that's not the Sheriff's decision, so it's not an either/or situation. The state powers that be say no CCW on campus, so the sheriff is allowing the next best thing: empowering staff and faculty after they fulfill requirements to be deputized as LEOs.

It's akin to the Federal Flight Deck Officer program, to an extent. Obviously there's some differences, but the premise is basically the same.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-18-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Oops, missed the concealed part. My bad. Wonder who takes the liability for a mishap? The school or the county?

Do the deputized faculty have a duty to act as first responders would? Go seek out the shooter or defend where they are?

Southeastern is a private, religious based school in Lakeland. The way the Florida law reads, individual universities can exempt parts or all of their campus from the statute. For example, the state college that houses the criminal justice center I train at allows students to leave weapons in their cars at the criminal justice center-which is away from the main campus. Individual officers are exempt from the state statute prohibiting carry, even with a permit, at certain places.

The Florida law on self-defense does not impose an affirmative obligation on anyone to defend anyone else-it is discretionary. Any Sheriff in the State of Florida can appoint special deputies at their discretion. For them to have law enforcement powers, they must become state-certified within 180 days of their appointment. What PCSO is doing is basically giving them training, telling them what equipment to purchase, and probably assisting in recertification. They are not making these people LEO's that would qualify for LEOSA.

What is interesting to me is that Southeastern is wholly contained within the City of Lakeland, which has its own police force. Lakeland PD has collectively stepped on its dick numerous times over the last several years, and there is rumored to be a push by PCSO to absorb Lakeland PD and provide services in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by K.O.A.M. View Post
    The Florida law on self-defense does not impose an affirmative obligation on anyone to defend anyone else-it is discretionary. Any Sheriff in the State of Florida can appoint special deputies at their discretion. For them to have law enforcement powers, they must become state-certified within 180 days of their appointment. What PCSO is doing is basically giving them training, telling them what equipment to purchase, and probably assisting in recertification. They are not making these people LEO's that would qualify for LEOSA.
    The LEOSA comment was made as a joke, but since you mentioned it here....I'm confused. They're being appointed as deputies, for the purpose of having LE powers that allow them to carry (and thus intervene) on campus. Why do you then say they're not making these people LEOs, when making them LEOs in the eyes of the law is what appears to be the entire purpose behind the program? And if they are, why would they not qualify for LEOSA?

Thanks for clarifying.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-23-2016 at 04:49 PM.

When all else fails, read the statute: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0030.09.html

Except under circumstances described in paragraphs (a), (e), (f), and (g), the appointees must possess at least the minimum requirements established for law enforcement officers by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission.
    (e) To aid in preserving law and order... or in the event of any major tragedy such as an act of local terrorism
    This is a guess, not a legal opinion. If the sheriff considers potential mass shooting an act of terrorism, the special deputy does not need to be a fully trained LEO.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List