Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practicing in the Resource-Constrained Environment article

Practicing in the Resource-Constrained Environment article

My latest article on Personal Defense Network.

Most people, myself included, live in what I call the “resource-constrained environment.” While some people have access to a good training facility, or at least a gun club, that’s not usually the case. Generally, people who own firearms for personal defense have limited resources to train and practice with. Those resources consist, for the most part, of one lane on an indoor range, one or two boxes of ammunition per month, and a couple of hours or a few minutes here and there when they are away from the range.
    http://www.personaldefensenetwork.co...d-environment/
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Thanks for the great article.

Good stuff!

Very good article. Thanks for some great ideas.

As usual a great thread pops up on something I've been thinking about lately; my main constraint is simply the time to get out to a range.
    Thanks HeadHunter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Yesterday, a friend was telling me about different approaches to live fire practice he has observed.

For those of you who have to use one lane of an indoor range and aren't allowed to draw, I would be interested to hear how you approach your practice.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

We are diminished
    Not counting teaching time, I usually get to a wide open outdoor bay once a month from March through November, whereas I go to a public indoor range twice per week all year long on average. Up until last year, I didn't even have access to the outdoor range and essentially all of my practice was done in one lane at the NRA.

Having said that, the NRA Range's rule is that as long as your muzzle stays downrange and you hit the backstop you can do pretty much anything you want, especially if the ROs know you. I can draw, rapid fire, practice most one-handed manipulations, even shoot on the move as long as I stay in my little 4'W x 5'L box.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    ...... even shoot on the move as long as I stay in my little 4'W x 5'L box.
    Having similar range constraints I would like to hear how you do that. One range I practice on the "box" is so narrow that I sometimes whack an elbow on the wall during manipulations.

We are diminished
    If your shooting box is smaller than 4x5, it will be a lot different. As it is, I tend to start aimed in on the gun or even sometimes firing the first shot from a static position, then firing one or two more while taking 1-2 steps toward the opposite corner of the box. I'll typically do 30rd in each direction (rear right to front left, rear left to front right, front left to rear right, front right to rear left).

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    Yesterday, a friend was telling me about different approaches to live fire practice he has observed.

For those of you who have to use one lane of an indoor range and aren't allowed to draw, I would be interested to hear how you approach your practice.
    The closest range to where I live (about 10 minutes) is an indoor range that doesn't allow drawing from the holster. The guys who run the range know me by first name, and they were comfortable with my skill level and use to let me draw from the holster anyway but earlier this year asked me to stop because they didn't want other patrons watching me and trying to do the same. So instead I just run everything from a high compressed ready since I rotate through that position (or pretty close to it) on the draw stroke anyway. If there is no one else on the range, I may try to sneak in a couple draws under the radar I then follow that up with a lot of dryfire draws at home. It probably isn't the ideal solution, but as close as I can get.

Occassionally I get to an outdoor range that is further away that allows drawing from the holster, shooting on the move and more stuff like that.

Great article!

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    Although I seldom practice at the indoor range, I would load the firearm, de-cock or activate the safety and bring the pistol up from hip level (table level) into a high compressed ready while mimicking the draw stroke and drive the gun to the target, with the muzzle always in a safe direction. When reloading, my support hand would dismount to catch the falling magazine (to not allow it to fall forward of the line), place the magazine on the table, clutch the new loaded magazine, bring it to an imagined magazine pouch location, and then insert it into the weapon. It was the beginning of visualization for me haha.

The range employees watched me, on camera and in person, and let it all fly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List