Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practicing in the Resource-Constrained Environment article

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    For those of you who have to use one lane of an indoor range and aren't allowed to draw, I would be interested to hear how you approach your practice.
    There is one range I use occasionally that does not allow holsters. I practice from ready position on that range. Another range I have been to in my area (exactly twice in 4 years) not only does not allow holsters but has a “no more than one shot per second” rule that is strictly enforced and the ROs will get after you for “aggressive” shooting stances or techniques. Only thing you can work on there is basic marksmanship.
    Todd, thanks for the tip on practicing SOTM indoors. That will work at one indoor range I use. My primary indoor range gives you too small of a box to try that, but* as long as you stay in the box and are safe they don’t care about anything else. I have learned to keep my workspace compact there (at least that is the excuse I use). It is my primary practice range simply because it is only 10 minutes from my work and it only costs $6.00 to shoot there. Time and money are two big factors for my live fire schedule.

I thought I remember a thread where someone posted a reduced PDF target specifically to be use at 7-10ft. After some searching I am not finding it. I thought this would be as good a thread as any to ask if someone could point me to this target I'd really appreciate it.

Here's one for you.

When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Here's another.

When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Range rules inhibiting progress?

I was going to start a new thread with this title but this thread seems appropriate. I think my indoor range is severely limiting my progress. Here's why: small box, no holsters, certainly no concealment, one shot/second, absolutely no rapid fire (first time it happens you're gone), double taps are allowed. How's a person supposed to make progress with these rules? I do have access to an action pistol bay but it's 1.5 hr away with no traffic. Has anyone ever been successful changing range rules or getting special exceptions? Just for kicks, I'm going to a discussion with the manager to better understand their position which I'm sure has to do with liability. If it's just liability, why don't all ranges have such restrictive rules?

We are diminished
    Those rules are promulgated by the NRA, believe it or not, and were designed primarily around outdoor ranges in "suburban sprawl" areas. You know, the range was there 100 years ago but now there's a neighborhood built around it. In order to minimize noise and chance of a round leaving the range (impacting a neighboring house), a ton of very bad rules were invented. Then they became the standard and tons of places, even ranges out in the boonies or indoor ranges, adopted them.

Ironically, the NRA's own indoor range at its own headquarters has none of these rules.

Bumping this thread to further a discussion around the ammo shortage of 2020. I had a wall of text that got lost, and am currently dealing with a migraine. Looking forward to a meaningful discussion on paths forward to maintaining proficiency in these lean times of ammo availability
    Taking a break from social media.

I tried to design a Dot Torture you could shoot with 20 rounds:

20 round Dot Torture "Lite" target, SFA:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1127187

20 round Dot Torture "Lite" target, DA/SA:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1129062

We've also been throwing around ideas in THIS THREAD.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List