Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training For Waist/Lower-Chest-Level Shooting.

Training For Waist/Lower-Chest-Level Shooting.

The short version: An injured rotator cuff can relegate one to either shooting from waist/lower-ribs level, or switching hands to shoot from eye level. (I have long advocated having matching left and right holsters, but my only 1911 duty holster, of the mandated model, is right-handed.) I may have griped about the silliness of 20% of my qual rounds being fired from the "hip," but I have taken those rounds seriously, and during one recent night shift, after tweaking my bad shoulder, was glad to have done so.

My initial rotator cuff injury was about 1976. Other than being unable to properly throw over-handed since then, and varying amounts of occasional aching/burning, things have been relatively normal. Last week, I tweaked my right shoulder, and could not lift my hand, in front of me, to shoulder level. Using my left hand to lift my right hand to shoulder level was problematic. Reaching a High #2 did not work, either.

Fortunately, I had recently fired some very fast rounds from waist level, including a maximum-speed mag dump from a new-to-me 1911, so was confident I could shoot well enough at two yards, if I had to draw and fire quickly, so I did go to work that night, as we are very short-staffed, and I do my best to avoid calling-in sick.

By Day Two, things were better, and by Day Three, I was able to again lift a 1911 to eye level, with just my right hand/arm. I am quite grateful for the positive outcome! Long-term duty would have been a financial blow, as working overtime would be prohibited, and I would lose $400 a month in incentive pay that is tied to being in patrol, and being an FTO.

I must emphasize that any encounter past two or three yards would have been much-better-handled by switching to my left hand, to enable sighted fire. I am, actually, naturally left-handed, though right-armed, and have fired some of my best groups, with 1911 pistols, left-handed. Of course, a contact-distance, physical encounter would have required my left hand to be free. (Yes, I should have called-in sick, but this topic is relevant to more than just duty carry scenarios.)

To be clear, I am not referring to pure hip-shooting, but getting the weapon somewhat forward of the body. Some range officers will insist that my wrist be touching my waist/hip/belt area, while firing the qual course, but most will tolerate my elbow lightly touching my lower rib area, or floating just a bit free of my body, and when I have trained on my own, my elbow will be clear, much as shown by the late, great Bill Jordan in his _No Second Place Winner_ book. There are, of course, no range officers on the street.

Also, to be clear, I am not advocating that anyone abandon the more-recent advances in firearms training. It is, however, interesting that a Sixties-era technique be so very applicable, as an orthopedic work-around for a shoulder injury.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I am sure you have thought about this already, but I would definitely seek treatment with a well reputed physical therapist +/- orthopedic surgeon.

Would it be possible to be allowed to use a laser on your pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Would it be possible to be allowed to use a laser on your pistol?
    This is one reason I really like lasers.

Me too.

In fact I prefer them over red dot sights for handguns that will be carried for defense/offense, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Me too.

In fact I prefer them over red dot sights for handguns that will be carried for defense/offense, whatever.
    My old unit was trying to solve the "shooting pistols under nods issue" in 2006. We used lasers. I think a laser makes much more sense on a duty gun than any red dot sight, both for daylight shooting and under nods. Obviously, other people disagree. A small percentage of them have more time under nods than I do, so if they come to a different conclusion, all that matters is that it works for them. I'm fine with that, though I am very curious why they think that way and what led them to that conclusion. It is entirely possible that I missed something. Plus, shooting handguns under nods is not something I care much about today, so it is what it is. Technology changes and evolves.

All of my dot shooting in other threads is based purely on fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    My old unit was trying to solve the "shooting pistols under nods issue" in 2006. We used lasers. I think a laser makes much more sense on a duty gun than any red dot sight, both for daylight shooting and under nods. Obviously, other people disagree. A small percentage of them have more time under nods than I do, so if they come to a different conclusion, all that matters is that it works for them. I'm fine with that, though I am very curious why they think that way and what led them to that conclusion. It is entirely possible that I missed something. Plus, shooting handguns under nods is not something I care much about today, so it is what it is. Technology changes and evolves.

All of my dot shooting in other threads is based purely on fun.
    They didn't go the IR front iron sight or t1 route?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    They didn't go the IR front iron sight or t1 route?
    I don't know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I don't know what that means.
    Didn't you guys have access to IR or nvg visible front sights?

And T1 on a pistol in nvg setting?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Didn't you guys have access to IR or nvg visible front sights?

And T1 on a pistol in nvg setting?
    Well to be honest, I've never seen an IR visible front sight. Not sure what good that would do on a modern weapon, but it is outside my experience.

We did not look at red dots on pistols at all, as there was no need and very few ways to do that then. Especially on Sigs. The laser worked so well, we stopped at that.

User Tag List