Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What size pistol for training classes?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorris View Post
    I was actually thinking about getting a G19 for concealed carry and training. Its only slightly larger than the 9c (with pinkie extension), more capacity, and full grip for control/mag changes.
    I would get a G26 to go with it. You can run 19 magazines in a 26 and they also make X grips for the 26 and as I'm sure you know BOTH Glocks will take a 17 magazine

I will add that a M&P9 isn't significantly larger than a 19 and I have no problem concealing it.
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-17-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I would get a G26 to go with it. You can run 19 magazines in a 26 and they also make X grips for the 26 and as I'm sure you know BOTH Glocks will take a 17 magazine

I will add that a M&P9 isn't significantly larger than a 19 and I have no problem concealing it.
    Crap...Now I'm really torn. How do you carry the M&P9? I carry the 9c at 4 o'clock.

Well known accuracy issues aside, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the M&P platform. If you're not committed to the M&P platform and are looking for mag interchangeability, the Glock or SIG P320 are probably better options.
    Last edited by David S.; 12-17-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Banned
    Crap...Now I'm really torn. How do you carry the M&P9? I carry the 9c at 4 o'clock.
    I carry it in a Galco Pancake holster, on my right side, at 330(Ish). I live in Colorado so I can get away with a fleece or a flannel shirt 6 months out of the year.

Basically Im a novice. All the shooting Ive done has been on my 9c. I was looking at getting a weapon for classes and ccw but was wondering if I already had something that fit the requirement.
    Congratulations. If possible, get the full size MP to compliment your 9c. I would use the full size for classes and then begin integrating your carry piece. The cool thing is in every class I've been to, fellow shooters are really helpful. Guys on this forum will give you solid advice.
    Regarding the Glock, good firearm but stick to one platform.
    I would buy a minimum of ten magazines and a thousand rounds of ammo. Take your time and good luck.
    Best
    Frank
    Last edited by FrankinCA; 12-17-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    I would buy a minimum of ten magazines and a thousand rounds of ammo.
    I live in Colorado. No one ever thought the magazine capacity restriction law would pass...... Until it did.
    Buy as many magazines as you think you'll need for the rest of your life. Ideally I have 18 at minimum

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    If you're not committed to the M&P platform and are looking for mag interchangeability, the Glock or SIG P320 are probably better options.
    Never mind. I don't know what I'm talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankinCA View Post
    Congratulations. If possible, get the full size MP to compliment your 9c. I would use the full size for classes and then begin integrating your carry piece. The cool thing is in every class I've been to, fellow shooters are really helpful. Guys on this forum will give you solid advice.
    Regarding the Glock, good firearm but stick to one platform.
    I would buy a minimum of ten magazines and a thousand rounds of ammo. Take your time and good luck.
    Best
    Frank
    I have to agree here. Despite the M&P's accuracy issues, the M&P is a good platform. If the full sized M&P9 you happen to get suffers from accuracy issues (which I hear is less and less of a thing) then $200 will net you a match grade solution. Cheaper than switching platforms as you'd be looking at selling additional mags and support equipment.

Based on my experience and looking back on things, I would have been better off not platform hopping and simply finding solutions to the issues I ran into. Since you've already chosen a good platform, I'd just stick with it.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Just my $.02...First if you've been shooting and carrying the 9c and are progressing, then I would stick with it. Nothing wrong with learning to shoot and defend yourself with that pistol. As long as it hits the target when you tell it to and doesn't jamb (i.e it's reliable). Jumping from pistol to pistol can slow progress down. If you need a grip extension great.. I would spend the money on a good holster, belt and bullets. And it sounds like you are spending it on training also. Fantastic.

Learn to shoot the gun properly. Slow steady progress where you learn properly from grip to full presentation while moving. Understand the law and how it applies to you. After that the sky is the limit. The gun isn't going to be magic. But with training you can be. Train your brain. Worry about the worlds best gun later. BTW the worlds best gun is a.... Just kidding. It's one that works when you need it to.

JustOneGun
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 12-18-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I carry it in a Galco Pancake holster, on my right side, at 330(Ish). I live in Colorado so I can get away with a fleece or a flannel shirt 6 months out of the year.

Nothing wrong with a Galco holster. For newer people with striker fired pistols I try to steer them to open top kydex with friction for tension. Nothing like snaps to snag the trigger and no need to put the thumb and forefinger into the holster to hold it open while holstering. Not that as a newbie I've ever done that. LOL.

Having said that there is also nothing wrong with buying a cheap kydex holster for training classes. I still have a Galco rubberized holster. I don't know the real name of the material. You know, no matter what the gear snobs say, that holster has survived rolling on the ground in hundreds of FoF gunfights for twenty years. And it cost me $14.95. I think they go for $26 now.

ETA: For that matter I steer all guns to open top kydex.
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 12-18-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List