Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What size pistol for training classes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorris View Post
    Basically Im a novice. All the shooting Ive done has been on my 9c. I was looking at getting a weapon for classes and ccw but was wondering if I already had something that fit the requirement.
    As stated by those with more experience than me, the larger gun will be easier to learn to shoot. So once you have safely mastered the basic gun handling and marksmanship fundamentals run some drills with a sub and full size. The difference in your speed and accuracy may surprise you.

With the 9c I can get a full grip using the pinky extension, which I do. I wouldnt carry anything smaller than this as I could see how i would loose a lot of skill.
    As others have said, at the beginning of your training journey you want every advantage. When you are unconsciously competent with the full-sized gun, start mixing the compact into your training. Initially, I think there is value in keeping the hardware as similar as possible; ideally, same gun as your compact, same sights, same trigger, etc. If you're happy with the 9c, the M&P9 FS is the logical choice.

^^^ Good info in the above posts.

Basically Im a novice. All the shooting Ive done has been on my 9c. I was looking at getting a weapon for classes and ccw but was wondering if I already had something that fit the requirement.
    If money is available, sure, a M&P Full Size 9mm would be "ideal".

However.

If not, and you are resource constrained like most of us, shooting a compact version of a good quality pistol from a reputable manufacture (i.e. S&W compact) that you can get a full firing grip on in all instances of the class would be almost as good.

Meaning, I would expect to go the line with at least 4 full mag's worth of ammo in addition to what is in the pistol, in identical set ups (i.e. five mags configured the same way.) I would not want to be worried about changing grip from magazine to magazine in the middle of trying to figure out how to shoot.

For example, if I were to take a class, I'd take my full size VP9, and four 15 round mags in two dual mag pouches.

If I opted to take a class with my carry gun (P30SK), I'd need at least four more USPc 13 round mags, plus four X grip adapters, so I would use the same dual mag pouches and carry the four (five with the one in the gun) extra mags.

Since I only have the one carry USPc magazine at the moment, but two 10 round mags, and a bunch of VP9 mags, what I would not want to do is to use the USPc 13, the OEM 10 round stock, the OEM 10 round with +0 pinky, and the VP9 mags with X grips in the training class.

Hope that makes sense.

tl;dr: If I were you, I'd get at least five mags, use my M&P compact for the class and rock on.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-17-2016 at 12:16 PM. Reason: werds r hard

Some very good advice so far. I think it would depend on why you are attending the training class to begin with, and what you are attempting to get out of the class.

If you are new to handguns and are trying to learn the basic shooting skills so that you have solid fundamentals to safely build your proficiency with your new pistol, then bring a full sized gun. And please bring along any friends who are also new to pistols. I wish more novice pistol buyers would factor in some basic training as part of the purchase price.

But if you have some fundamental skills already and are trying to get some training that would be centered around carrying a concealed weapon to protect yourself, then by all means, train with the gun that you will actually carry!

If you can, bring both and talk with the instructor prior to the start of the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    since you have a 9c an alternative solution might be to pick up some full size magazines and a pack of XGrips

Added a link

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/94...-polymer-black
    If you don't currently have an M&P9 fs, then this is definitely the way to go. You'll benefit more and learn more using a full sized grip. If you've got the cash to add an M&P9 fs to the stable, then I don't see why you wouldn't have one for specifically home defense and use in classes.

If you don't have the cash for the fs, then run what you have as taking a class while concealing what you've set yourself to carry can be extremely valuable and eye opening as well.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I'm a big fan of service sized handguns for both training and carry. For a novice, a full (service) sized gun will be easier to learn the fundamentals on, manipulate under stress, and shoot to a higher standard than a compact or smaller variant. Just my very humble 2 cents.

If you're going to a local instructor and the cost isn't high, start however you want. If you want to take more classes from the same instructor you can change/add.

If you're traveling to a class, if the instructor only comes to your state once in a blue moon, or if the class costs a pile of money, you should prepare differently. For such a class I go with two of the same gun, a spare holster, 5-10 mags, whatever quantity of ammo the class calls for plus extra, spare ear pro, etc. You're paying around $50/hr for class and you shouldn't waste that time fucking with a broken gun, holster, bad mags, etc.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Full size if you can manage it financially. Many people underestimate how much gun they can actually carry, and you may even find yourself carrying it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    If you don't currently have an M&P9 fs, then this is definitely the way to go. You'll benefit more and learn more using a full sized grip. If you've got the cash to add an M&P9 fs to the stable, then I don't see why you wouldn't have one for specifically home defense and use in classes.

If you don't have the cash for the fs, then run what you have as taking a class while concealing what you've set yourself to carry can be extremely valuable and eye opening as well.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    FWIW I limit myself to only carrying an M&P9 or an M&P9C. Economically it makes sense to me to only have to buy 1 type of magazine and one caliber of round.

If I had it to do over I'd select a G26 & a G19 but it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    FWIW I limit myself to only carrying an M&P9 or an M&P9C. Economically it makes sense to me to only have to buy 1 type of magazine and one caliber of round.

If I had it to do over I'd select a G26 & a G19 but it is what it is
    I was actually thinking about getting a G19 for concealed carry and training. Its only slightly larger than the 9c (with pinkie extension), more capacity, and full grip for control/mag changes.

User Tag List