Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP: what do I need to know?

HK USP: what do I need to know?

I'm looking at completely switching over to USPs for carry, competition, and the occasional hike. I checked out the HK45 and P30s, and I actually prefer the blocky grip of the USP. I never intend on mounting a light, so that's a non-issue for me.

I've searched on here and the only known "issue" that i've seen is that the trigger return spring needs to be replaced frequently, and may be difficult to change. Anything else that I'm missing? Any known problems with the gun?

I'm looking specifically at an Expert 9, a compact 9, and a full size .45.

Vending Machine Operator
    Just got a Compact .40 and was going to warn you it's pretty chubby, but if you already know that from handling it, looks like that's not a problem!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

If you get one of the early ones, check to see if it needs the firing pin replaced.

The early ones had a finite service life with dry firing, and were replaced for free by HK with an updated firing pin. I think Dagga Boy said that his still went 100k rounds with a frequent, heavy dry firing regimen.

It's not really a problem, so to say.....more just a pursuit of Teutonic perfection.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you get one of the early ones, check to see if it needs the firing pin replaced.

The early ones had a finite service life with dry firing, and were replaced for free by HK with an updated firing pin. I think Dagga Boy said that his still went 100k rounds with a frequent, heavy dry firing regimen.

It's not really a problem, so to say.....more just a pursuit of Teutonic perfection.
    My brother broke his USP 45's firing pin. I blame myself for that, having recently transferred the pistol over to him and I know for a fact that I dry fired the holy hell out of it for years and years. HK fixed it w/o issue.

This thread https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-field-pistol probably reflects the most current thinking on the USP.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My agency issued USP .45's and USP compact .45's for 16 years...until earlier this year, actually. Only real issue we ever had was with the older hard plastic magazine base pads breaking when dropped on a hard surface. The newer magazines are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    I'm looking at completely switching over to USPs for carry, competition, and the occasional hike. I checked out the HK45 and P30s, and I actually prefer the blocky grip of the USP. I never intend on mounting a light, so that's a non-issue for me.

I've searched on here and the only known "issue" that i've seen is that the trigger return spring needs to be replaced frequently, and may be difficult to change. Anything else that I'm missing? Any known problems with the gun?

Agree with you in that I prefer the blocky grip of the USP as well over the newer offerings.
    Trigger return springs as a potential weak point is a new one on me. Never heard of that part being an issue, but I'm far from an expert.
    As TGS noted, I believe prior to 2001 or 2002, firing pins were known as a potential weak point. Aside from that, I'm not aware of additional things to watch out for from a reliability / durability perspective.

I've been through a bunch of different threads on the USP in the past few days, a couple of them mentioned the TRS as a part that would need to be replaced with frequent dry fire, but I'm not positive who said it or where. Can anyone confirm this or correct me? I'd be buying new, so it should have the new firing pin, same with the magazines.

I've followed GJM's thread on his USP since he started it, it's what got me interested in USPs in the first place. They sound exceptionally reliable, accurate, and tough. I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post

Arguably, those three are the pick of the litter. Match hybrid triggers in the Expert and FS 45, light LEM with the nickel sear spring, in the USP compact.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The TRS is the most likely part to break on modern USPs. As long as you aren't using the heavy TRS, you don't have to worry about it breaking that often. Replace it every 12-15k rounds of live fire and buy yourself an HKParts.net TRS tool, it will make the process easier.

If you are buying a newly-produced USPs, then you don't have to worry about any firing pin issues.

As far as magazines go, talk to Dagga Boy about USP45 mags, he probably has more experience with them than anyone alive. The FS and C 9 mags shouldn't have any issues.

User Tag List