Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boise Idaho, how is it for a family?

Another idea: We are planning out our extended travel (RV) trip for 2017. Idaho is on the itinerary.

I found the Idaho Dept of Tourism web site, and ordered one of their Guides to Idaho packages. Wasn't a week but a very complete brochure and state map arrived in the mail.

I grew up there, went to BSU, then eventually got the hell out.

Boise used to be about 35k people.

It has been very badly californicated. Boise, and the Treasure Valley used to be extremely conservative. Now it has been overrun with Portlandia whack jobs, Seattlites, and Californians. Essentially they have turned it into a very liberal city, with big city problems. Major gang issues, drugs, horrible traffic,etc, etc. I absolutely dread going there and dealing with the shitty traffic. If you live outside of Boise, like Nampa and Caldwell, you have serious hispanic gang issues, and in the summer, there are shootings/shots fired calls on an almost nightly basis

The valley is turning out to be a lot like Portland.

Frankly, I would not live anywhere near the Treasure Valley if given a choice.

Much of this will depend on what you want to do, but places like Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, etc all offer most everything a family would need from Coctcos to Barnes & Noble, without the 3/4 million people. Twin Falls has I believe about 50K.

Personally if you really want an outdoors lifestyle, with great schools for kids, and a small town feel, I would look at Salmon or Challis.

There are lots of neat things to do in the more rural areas, and when you get away from Boise, you are not overrun with treehuggers who hate shooters and hunters.

The last time I hunted (years ago) on the Boise front during deer and elk season I kept hearing this banging racket. I finally located the source. It was some asshole anti hunter walking along the same trail with a metal pot lid and some other metal object he was banging against it to scare animals away. I had some seriously bad thoughts go through my head.

With all that said, the liberals that are fleeing from California are not all exclusively settling in the Boise valley. I have a neighbor who moved to the same small town where we live literally tell me " Oh we LOVE Boise, it is just like San Diego". He has since assimilated into our small community (far from Boise), but his past comes out often in some of the dumb shit he says and does.

Don't get me started on the California jackasses that show up each fall to hunt. They cut fences, trespass anywhere, tear up agricultural fields, leave gates open, letting cattle out and throw trash everywhere. That alone could be a whole other thread.

I will just say this though, now that Boise has been overrun, when hunters show up in other parts of the state to hunt, and they are sporting 1A plates (Ada County designator, where Boise is located) they are not warmly welcomed by locals, as they often behave the same way the guys with the California plates do.

In a nutshell, Unless you want the "big city" lifesty;le, I would stay away from Boise.

Shenaniguns

If you list out a set of criteria that you, your wife and kids would like, I might be able to offer up a better location than Boise.

Hunt, fish?

Line of work?

IPSC/USPSA/IDPA?

Major hospitals

Sports the kids like to do, etc.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Lost River....when I finally escape this workers paradise with my family and emigrate to America, I promise not to bring any California with me. I do hunt out of state (never in Idaho, though), and I never engage in the behavior you describe, though I see it, too. A few of us are Americans in exile, caught behind the lines......

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Lost River....when I finally escape this workers paradise with my family and emigrate to America, I promise not to bring any California with me. I do hunt out of state (never in Idaho, though), and I never engage in the behavior you describe, though I see it, too. A few of us are Americans in exile, caught behind the lines......
    Welcome any time then!!!

Wow, thanks for the information everyone! We are mainly looking at the Boise region due to Government jobs for my Wife like what she does now. I'd prefer to be in more of an area that has all the amenities we're use to for my family. With two young children, schools and hospital location will be important. As for hobbies in general, I hope I'll get to that point sooner than later. Working 6 days a week and spending the rest of my time with my family I don't have much free time. As for the crime listed, there's no way it's worse than is living here in Sacramento or the Bay Area. At least people are allowed to defend themselves with their firearm of choice in Idaho with standard capacity magazines.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Ditto.

The last thing I want is to make my next home more like California. I figure I'll follow my default SOP of keeping my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open.

I can't speak for Boise but can of Pocatello. I was there as a Army recruiter for about three years ('03~'05). It was a tough place to recruit (during a tough time) but I really liked the place and the people.
    It's high desert and very brown. I would say that it did have four proper seasons, and the winter was cold and dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Everything is relative. I hail from Fairfax County near DC, one of the most expensive, populated and left-leaning places to live in the whole country. Missoula is like 25-50% cheaper than here in almost all aspects. I think I could learn to live with that.
    If you can get a gig that pays well it's certainly a beautiful place to live. Bozeman had really great food, beer, and some shopping in addition to the outdoor stuff, but houses were out of reach for us for what we needed.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Me and my fiancé have our heart set on the CDA area, we have friends that owns a restaurant in downtown CDA and they've been on us about moving up there. I absolutely loved the ares and the town of CDA isptself was simply amazing. Surrounded by national forests, hunting and fishing. The restaurants were good (except the sushi). Wolfs Inn Lodge had killer steak. It's a much slower and layed back lifestyle.

My main problem is I'm 18 years into a LE career in Ca and it's hard to give up the money, seniority, security and retirement to start all over again. I've made good connections up there at a Sheriff's dept with a Lt., we email each other several times a week with LE related info and she's pressing me to move up there also.

My most recent plan is wait until I have my 20 years in and bail out. Just recently the fiance told me to retire from my job, we can move there and open a gun store (not sure how popular gun shops are in Idaho, like Ca) and she will continue to dispatch. I'm pretty beat up from injuries sustained on and off work and she pointed that out. But one thing that will make me leave is if she gets pregnant, I told her I'm not raising kids in Ca.

User Tag List