Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting while moving support/weak hand only

How many inches are covered across the ground with this IDPA moving and shooting support hand only?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How many inches are covered across the ground with this IDPA moving and shooting support hand only?
    As little as possible, the only rules about movement on the standards stages are that you have to be in constant motion and can't go past the fault line. The SO usually says something like "it's ok to move like grandpa on a bad day but you always need to have your feet moving, not stopping during shots". On longer distance stages sometimes people will try to take a giant step during their draw to get closer to the target by a couple of yards but I find that doing so messes up my draw to 1st shot time more than it benefits accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by LSW View Post
    As little as possible, the only rules about movement on the standards stages are that you have to be in constant motion and can't go past the fault line. The SO usually says something like "it's ok to move like grandpa on a bad day but you always need to have your feet moving, not stopping during shots". On longer distance stages sometimes people will try to take a giant step during their draw to get closer to the target by a couple of yards but I find that doing so messes up my draw to 1st shot time more than it benefits accuracy.
    I would assess the RO with a FTDR for that explanation. The shooter should compete like they fight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would assess the RO with a FTDR for that explanation. The shooter should compete like they fight.
    Haha, yeah, I hear ya. I just play be the rules since it's more or less the only game in town, not sure I would ever advance on a real life threat if I was down to my WHO anyway, haha. That would probably get me killed....in the streetz.
    Last edited by LSW; 12-17-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I don't know much but I like what Gabe said. I would really emphasize working on WHO static. I would do walkback work both dry and live. Put up a 2" dot, start at 3 yards, and figure out what you have to do to guarantee a hit (while your sights are aligned with the target -- kentucky windaging a bad trigger pull is not a path forward). Watch the front sight and work the trigger. Once you're very confident in your ability to stay on the 2" at 3y, move back to 4, then 5, then push yourself at 7. Then go back to 3 and do it from the low ready under time pressure. Only then would I mess with going to a big target (IDPA -0 zone or a paper plate) and moving.
    Thanks, I tried this yesterday and what I discovered is that my POI for weak hand had changed significantly from last time I really took a look at it. I now find myself consistently high left shooting who whereas last month it was all low right. This was true on targets out to 15 yards when trying to use the same sight picture as I would for a freestyle shot. Groups are centered roughly 6" high and 3" left of bullseye at 15 yards, WHO. Maybe I am heeling a little bit whereas last time I really checked my who slowfire I was shooting low right (jerking trigger).

Unless I'm reading it wrong....

I'd shoot 6 on the move freestyle then do my reload.

THEN in P2 6 strong hand only, reload, 6 weak hand only. The stage description only says from P1 to P2 have to be moving.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Unless I'm reading it wrong....

I'd shoot 6 on the move freestyle then do my reload.

THEN in P2 6 strong hand only, reload, 6 weak hand only. The stage description only says from P1 to P2 have to be moving.
    Last part says "while retreating" for the last 6 shots.

I'd personally start with SHO 6 shots to the body while advancing, reload, 6 WHO to the body while stationary at the forward line, reload, then 6 to the head freestyle while backing up REALLY slowly. I'm pretty sure I can get 6 shots on the move to the head freestyle while only covering about 4 feet of space...and I'm starting from the closest point.

WHO-wise, regarding practice: Like someone said, treat it like a whole new skillset. In other words, treat it just like you treat getting good freestyle. If you short-change it (common example: Some people shoot the last 20 rounds of their practice with 10 rounds each SHO and WHO, and call that practice) then it isn't going to work. It really IS a new skillset, because you haven't trained that hand with that grip, alignment, and trigger control ever, and it isn't used to recoil control in that position by itself. For SHO, you have at least SOME practice at those things, but with WHO you really don't.

IMO, obviously.

User Tag List