Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3x Lite Compact vs CTR - Why the big cost gap?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I also believe that most of the T3's three-shot magazine is plastic, and that it takes two hands to get it out of the gun.
    Why would you need two hands to remove the magazine? Grab mag, pull towards you on the magazine catch with index finger, remove mag.

There are also factory 5 rounders for the T3, as well as larger capacity aftermarket magazines. The bigger mags are stupid expensive, though - but then again, so are factory Tikka and Sako magazines. Or for that matter, just about any bolt gun magazine out there (or at least that's how it seems to me)... :/

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post

Personally, I'd take a Tika over a Ruger any day.
    Winner! I own a Tikka and had a Ruger American. The Ruger cost a lot less but it felt like a cheapened Tikka in every way.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Obviously the Ruger American Predator is in a completely different class /price range than a Tikka CTR.

How about CTR vs the Savage 10 BA?

The 10 BA is an attractive package but I hear mixed things about the current Savage 10s.

Over the years various lower priced guns have done well. Ruger certainly, savage as well. I have a Remington that was $350. It shoots as well as my custom 700's. I'm aware of a bunch of others that do as well.

Nothing compares to the consistency of the Tikkas, imo. I've seen and shot guns from every decade they have been around, and I have yet to hear of a bad performance. Why roll the dice? Tikka to me is the best way to go, and will certainly do what needs doing. The only issue is the twist rate in the 30 cals. Too slow for my chosen bullets. In 300, it won't work for me, but in 308 it will do. The 6.5 is spot on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Why would you need two hands to remove the magazine? Grab mag, pull towards you on the magazine catch with index finger, remove mag.

There are also factory 5 rounders for the T3, as well as larger capacity aftermarket magazines. The bigger mags are stupid expensive, though - but then again, so are factory Tikka and Sako magazines. Or for that matter, just about any bolt gun magazine out there (or at least that's how it seems to me)... :/
    I bought a Tikka T3X Compact Lite in .308 at Thanksgiving. An extra 5-round magazine was $49.99. Maybe MagPul will enter the market.
    Last edited by Wyoming Shooter; 12-17-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clarification

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Tikka magazines should be available in the $30-35 range from time to time if you have search-fu.

Tikka's heavy-profile barrels are lapped at the factory, an additional differentiating feature versus the sporter profile barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Tikka magazines should be available in the $30-35 range from time to time if you have search-fu.

Tikka's heavy-profile barrels are lapped at the factory, an additional differentiating feature versus the sporter profile barrels.
    Tikka and Sako barrels are the same. Aside from high end guns like AIs, I don't know of any factory that produces barrels of such high quality and accuracy as Sako/Tikka.

Plus when it comes time to re-barrel (if you ever shoot that much), the receivers on Tikkas are extremely square, unlike your typical Walmart R700.

Numerous friends have asked the typical "what should I get" type questions, when searching for a truly accurate rifle.

I used to say start with an R 700 and toss everything but the stock, have a gunsmith true it, screw a new tube on, and a new fiberglass stock. Those days are over.

Now I just tell them to buy a T3 in .308, or whatever non magnum cartridge floats their boat, add some Talley lightweight rings and get the best glass you can afford. SWFA for the budget minded, and Nightforce for guys who can swing it.

The .308 T3, Talleys and a good scope is an extremely hard setup to beat, at any price.

I consider the combo to be the "Glock 19 with night sights" of the hunting rifle world.

^^^^ This.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The .308 T3, Talleys and a good scope is an extremely hard setup to beat, at any price.

I consider the combo to be the "Glock 19 with night sights" of the hunting rifle world.
    Along the lines of "F8 and be there" for photojournalism (back when people shot non-D SLRs)...

".308 and go kill stuff" is a pretty good answer for how to pick a hunting cartridge.

Why is it that irons are so rare on bolt rifles these days? As much as I'd like a Sako, a Tikka makes much more sense for my current situation, but it pains me to resign myself to having to pick up an optic along with the rifle in order to shoot it.

User Tag List