Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How about a " 12 Revolvers of Christmas"?

How about a " 12 Revolvers of Christmas"?

I thought about this while hunting last week, as I would like to leave the rifle behind during deer season, and strictly hunt with revolvers. We (knock on wood) normally get at least a cow elk each year, so if I did not punch my deer tag, it would not be too critical for the family, meat wise.

That said, yeah I know I am a couple days late, but that just means we can kick it off with a big bang, and multiple contributions.

What are your favorite revolvers, and why?

If you don't have 12, and aside from guys like Darryl and SLG, I would expect that most don't, what would you like to acquire?

1917? SAA? Model 21?

Anything from K-22s, to N or X Frames goes.

Even the little NAA mini guns!

Most regular PF members who hang out in this section probably know I am a big time Model 29, with 5" barrels being the hands down favorite, so I will start it off with a less frequently discussed gun, the old Combat Masterpiece, AKA 4" Model 15. .38 Special.

It is superbly accurate, and a stellar small game gun, and loves pretty much anything I feed it. Jackrabbits of the Great Basin sit around the edge of their burrows at night and tell tales of it's horror to little jack juniors, in order to keep them scared and alert.

We have to get caught up so a couple-three wheelguns in the first posts, is all G2G!

Speaking of Combat Masterpiece S&Ws, here is a Pre-Model 18:

Fun little gun that definitely needs to see more field time.

I have a "no-dash" Model 63 that is certainly easier to carry, but the 4" K-22 is such as easy gun to shoot that if forced to choose between the 2, I would opt for the K-22.

I keep the diminutive Model 63 around, primarily for little kids and women to shoot, as its dimensions and weight make it hard not to like. Plus, sometimes I pack it while stream fishing in rattlesnake country.

Speaking of easy to shoot .22s, years back a good friend located a 6" Model 17 that belonged to a Deputy Sheriff in rural eastern Oregon. Every time I shoot it, I remind myself of how lucky I was to get such a shooter. I honestly believe it could give many .22 rifles a run for their money.

BTW,

I understand there were .22 and .38 caliber Combat Masterpieces, but were there others? I seem to recall 3 for some reason.

I remember the Model 19 .357 was a Combat Magnum, rather than a Masterpiece, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    BTW,

I understand there were .22 and .38 caliber Combat Masterpieces, but were there others? I seem to recall 3 for some reason.

I remember the Model 19 .357 was a Combat Magnum, rather than a Masterpiece, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    I was issued a 2" Model 15 Combat Masterpiece, square butt back in the early 80's. Later on was issued the 2.5" Model 19.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    BTW,

I thought there were .32's as well... (can't find any reference right now, so that may be wrong)

Like you, I love the 5" 44. And I have a pre M15 that you remind me really needs to see some field time. I don't much like the factory stocks, though yours look really nice. I'm waiting on a set of Spegals for it, and then I'll have to take it small game hunting.

Just yesterday a truly gorgeous holster and knife sheath arrived for my 6.5" 44 and the Skookum Bush Tool. I will more than likely use it this season. Unfortunately the 6.5" 44 is not as accurate as my 5" 629, but it is accurate enough and the holster is just amazing. When I get home around christmas time I'll get some nice pics and post them here. As a teaser, the rig was made by RGrizzle Leather, in GA. His horsehide has to be seen to be believed, and he is a consummate craftsman and gentleman.
    Last edited by SLG; 12-15-2016 at 09:04 PM.

No pics handy but my favorite revolver is my old 5" 629 Classic. I've taken it deer hunting a few times but so far haven't shot one. I used to shoot bowling pins with it.

I grew up shooting my Dad's 5" pre-M-27 and 4" pre M-34. The J-frame is too small for me to shoot it as well as a K-frame .22, so I'd love to get a six-inch K-22 that was made just after WWII. I'd also love to have a 5" N-frame with a no-lug barrel, but in 44 Magnum.

Until then, I'll have to limp along with a 4" Model 29-2 and a Ruger 22 auto that was re-barreled by Jim Clark about the time I was in high school.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

This isn't in the same league as the nice Smiths you guys are posting but the revolver that is most dear to me is my dad's H&R .22 revolver. He bought it when he was young and broke and for a long time when I was little it was the only gun in the house.

It was the first handgun I shot and we burned up countless bricks of .22 ammo in it. Last time I shot it it was starting to spit lead.

I guess it will be mine some day but I'm not looking forward to it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I'll do one a day until I leave for the holidays. First up; first shot: the 1956 flatgate single-six that I learned on as a kid. This and a bearcat were the guns that my dad and I used take
    to walk along snowy railroad tracks together when I was very young.

I still take it to the range on occasion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Site Supporter
    I learned to shoot on an old H&R .22 western-style revolver, too. It was given to my dad by a friend before we made a cross-country trip - he'd sold all his other guns for cash to help find the trip, and it was the only gun in the house for a long time.

When I got interested in shooting as a young adult, I borrowed the old H&R for a bit to get some lead down range. Still an accurate, fun old gun.

User Tag List