Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-frame after market coating/finish

J-frame after market coating/finish

Looking at an aftermarket coating for a S&W 49 I may start carrying. Getting a little lost in the array of finishes currently available and companies that provide them. Here's what I'm looking for an appreciate any suggestions on both the finish and recommended company for application:

- I don't want something that peels off like a spray on finish
    - Want something that protects from rust
    - Don't want something that will cost as much as just leaving the gun in the safe and just buying a no-lock 642
    - Some of the finishes (like NP3) that have a lubricity property seem like a nice plus

Thoughts?

Check out Accurate Plating and Weaponry. www.apwcogan.com

Call and talk to Bob Cogan 334-585-9488.

What is wrong with the current finish?

Nothing, other than it is blued, and I'd prefer better protection for an all day EDC. I don't plan on carrying a silicon rag around with me and may not get around to wiping it off right away every single time. Also, maybe TIM, but think very acidic sweat...the kind that wrecks T-shirts and other clothing in fairly short order.
    Last edited by Willard; 12-15-2016 at 08:12 PM.

I'll second APW and Hard Chrome (Brushed Finish) would be my suggestion. Get the internals like you want them (i.e. smoothed up/polished) as they'll remain in that condition pretty much forever with HC.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 12-15-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I used to rust blued J frames in a day. Circa 1980s I used SS Metalife Hard Chrome. It was an improvement. I am not up to speed on current finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I am not up to speed on current finishes.
    Makes two of us. There are a myriad of finishes now and it is a little overwhelming if you haven't been paying attention all along. Thanks to all who provided info. I'll check with APW. Thanks again all.
    Last edited by Willard; 12-15-2016 at 11:53 PM.

Site Supporter
    I know blueing has a bad reputation, but I have never had a problem with a blue-finished gun, particularly a polished blue finish. I would not be as quick to trust a blasted blue finish. The polished blue seems to be as durable as many other finishes. I have, however, seen guns with some more modern finishes showing significant, premature finish wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'd look into a ferritic nitro carburizing-type finish, such as Melonite or Ionbond. Hardens the surface and makes carbon steel more corrosion-resistant than stainless. Glock, H&K and Sig, among others, use variants of it for their slides.

Robar NP3 is a good option.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List