Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 Blackout on steel targets

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Shot AR500 plates yesterday with 300 AAC Blackout 220 OTM at 10+ yards. There was no damage to the targets. They were as smooth after I shot them as before I shot them. My hobby takes a new path for a while. Now to gather some dies and inexpensive (coated) cast bullets and away I go.
    I like Leatherhead 220s myself. I tried Palmetto Projectiles, bad comms and long wait on shipping. I'm not the only one.

http://leatherheadbullets.com/30-cal...ackout-100-ct/
    #RESIST

Wouldn't it be a lot less fuss to just shoot an AR in 9mm on the steel?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't think so given how easy it is to build or buy a .300Blk AR, but of course you have to factor in the hand loading part.
    #RESIST

Or have the ammo fairy making deliveries.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Well, I got into 300 BLK by buying a 16" entry level complete upper with FF 10" rail for $325 delivered. Try getting into a 9mm AR for that? While the ammo is not as cheap as 9mm, you can buy ammo subsonic ammo loaded with reformed military brass and coated hard case bullets for around $.50 a round. The reloading cost for such ammo is about $.25-$.30 a round. Plus there is the fun factor and the cool factor and the new frontier factor, etc. Also, when my can gets out of ATF jail, there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Or have the ammo fairy making deliveries.
    EXACTLY
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    Well, I got into 300 BLK by buying a 16" entry level complete upper with FF 10" rail for $325 delivered. Try getting into a 9mm AR for that? While the ammo is not as cheap as 9mm, you can buy ammo subsonic ammo loaded with reformed military brass and coated hard case bullets for around $.50 a round. The reloading cost for such ammo is about $.25-$.30 a round. Plus there is the fun factor and the cool factor and the new frontier factor, etc. Also, when my can gets out of ATF jail, there is that.
    Try doing the math on reloading .300Blk, it's compelling. My best friend is now plinking and training with .300Blk Leatherhead reloads, the math is that good.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Try doing the math on reloading .300Blk, it's compelling. My best friend is now plinking and training with .300Blk Leatherhead reloads, the math is that good.

What does it cost to reload .300?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

300 Blackout on steel targets

What does it cost to reload .300?
    Using this site to calculate the overall cost for my pet load using 1680 powder, Leatherhead 220s, zero on cost of brass (I have a bit of existing brass), and standard cost of my primers ($32 per 1k), I get:

Cost / round: $0.183
    Cost / 50 $9.13
    Cost / 1000 $182.58

I will be definitely knocking that price down a little as I transition to Lil'Gun powder (about 3 grains less per load) and buying primers in bulk.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 12-26-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    #RESIST

300 Blackout on steel targets

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Using this site to calculate the overall cost for my pet load using 1680 powder, Leatherhead 220s, zero on cost of brass (I have a bit of existing brass), and standard cost of my primers ($32 per 1k), I get:

Cost / round: $0.183
    Cost / 50 $9.13
    Cost / 1000 $182.58

I will be definitely knocking that price down a little as I transition to Lil'Gun powder (about 3 grains less per load) and buying primers in bulk.
    The cheapest subsonic ammo at Midway is 60 cents per round in bulk ($600 per 1k rounds).
    #RESIST

User Tag List